Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does anyone ever "tip" the service personnel at the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:02 PM
viper501
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know for a fact that a local Mercedes tech was making in excess of 100k per year. Of course, he'd been working for so long that Mercedes would actually consult him on issues they couldn't figure out.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Tell me where mechanics make this amount of money. As a mechanic I am getting it DRY, if you know what I mean.

you think dry is bad, try gettiing it with your pants on
Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Many Master Auto Techs in the Chicago area make much more than $100m/year. I know of one Chrysler Tech making $145,000/year.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

My comment was based purely on an article I read last year about the increasing computerization of cars and how it meant that a well trained mechanic could now pull in those numbers for a salary.

I apologize, I should have verified before posting. I was in a hurry and distracted today.

... although, looking at the posts that came in afterwards it appears that the number wasn't unrealistic for some mechanics.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there are a few that may break the 100k mark but like i said the average is probaly closer to half that
Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
you think dry is bad, try gettiing it with your pants on
Wow, that is a bad visual
Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Hi....just wondering if anyone tips the fellas who help at the dealership. At BMW....i usually have such a bad feeling when I leave it doesn't occur to me. At Porsche, they treat me so well, and do everything they can to make me happy. And they wash the car so damn well.

Now, my service dept. did me a solid and fought for me and got another dealership/NA to cover a brake issue. I know they make moola when they get work to do. Was wondering if anyone "takes care" of these guys?

Thanks,
J
OK so I waited to answer this thread, and my answer is NO
Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Many Master Auto Techs in the Chicago area make much more than $100m/year. I know of one Chrysler Tech making $145,000/year.
Do you mean a Service Manager or Advisor? Sounds right for them.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I used to get great personalized service from my BMW dealer, so one Christmas I bought a nice bottle of booze for my SA and the mechanic who would usually work on my car (I would ask for him). Then I ended up moving 6 months later. Doh! After I bought my 996 I tipped the SA at the stealer because he had run service history on some cars for me when I was looking, and I thought that was especially nice of him.

I would have liked to tip the tech last time I brought my car in, but since the car's exterior and interior was pretty greasy and he somehow scratched up the horseshoe dash cover, I didn't feel that he deserved any special favors. Other than maybe a kick up the backside.

Michael
Old 08-03-2007, 09:09 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Yup.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea, like I tip my health insurance provider, LOL
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great thread!

...but what do you do in this situation: the service advisor is a major lying ***, who is apathetic and blank-faced? You know the kind; never calls back, never ensures that all the work has been done, etc. Personally, I don't reward bad behavior, but now I'm wondering whether a little gesture here and there would have obliged the guy to do more. Complaining did not improve things...

This, at Morristown Mercedes...

J
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

The best service I have ever had was a service tech at the local Cadillac hummer Saab dealership. Wife had a Saab 9-3 vector turbo, and any time anything was wrong he would immediately invite me down and give me a loaner (once it was a turbo wagon though). If i would bring it in for something electrical, he would go over the car and order parts not even related to the visit. I came in once for an oil change and he said he also noticed substantial wear on the lower front spoiler and the third brake light housing in the back seat and he had ordered replacements. The honorable thing is that he would sternly decline any offer of a tip!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeman
This is a great thread!

...but what do you do in this situation: the service advisor is a major lying ***, who is apathetic and blank-faced? You know the kind; never calls back, never ensures that all the work has been done, etc. Personally, I don't reward bad behavior, but now I'm wondering whether a little gesture here and there would have obliged the guy to do more. Complaining did not improve things...

This, at Morristown Mercedes...

J
Do you live in the Charlotte, NC area too? Oh, wait... I guess not.... your ID location states NJ.... and you said Morristown..... and you said Mercedes. I thought you were talking about a Porsche delaership (and a Mercedes dealership) local to me because most of the description fits.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
rleeq
Racer

Once I had a flat and I lost the lug key after putting on the spare. The tire wasn’t any good so I called around and found a place that had tires in my size that I like but I couldn’t remove the wheels. I brought it to the Porsche dealer and the Service Manager went get the master key kit (said it cost $4K) and removed to lugs and put on regular lugs so that I could get my tires changed. I didn’t have an appointment and they were as busy as heck so I slipped him a $20 because I think that he went out of his way.
Normally I wouldn’t tip as I pay $102 per hour for service and I know for a fact that most of the time it doesn’t take nearly as long as to do the job as they claim; for example I was quoted and paid for 8 hours labor to have my clutch changed but the Porsche Service Manual says it’s a 3.5 hour job.

Quick Reply: Does anyone ever "tip" the service personnel at the dealership?