Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does anyone ever "tip" the service personnel at the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:03 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

After getting my car back from sitting in the shop for nearly 3 weeks for a replacement motor, I thought about tipping the head service tech that did all the work. When I got the car home I realized he had deactivated my PSE which required me to remove the rear bumper cover to get t working again. Also my shifting became more and more difficult and the car would shake and shudder when starting off in first gear and if shifting hard the motor felt loose. I jacked up the car and found the shifter cables were not seated correctly and loose, more alarming was that all the forward fasteners that held the motor and trans assembly to the body were loose and the nuts were just barely started on the threads. After finishing up their job at home I no longer felt like tipping them.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
A good mechanic is on >$100K, tell me again why they need to be tipped?

try again
Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concur with manny. I do, but not in the traditional "golden handshake" cash type of way. It's not about the money. I went out of my way to get to know the Service Manager and the Porsche wrench at the Indy shop I use, and when they do work on my car for me, I always drop off a six pack of microbrew for them when I pick up the car. It's a gesture, not compensation- it says "thanks for taking care of my baby- have a cold one on me!", not "here's a few extra bucks". They know the car, did my PPI, are honest with me, and do good work. I appreciate that. People come from all over to have this particular guy work on thier Porsches. That says a lot. On any given day you can see a wide variety of P-cars outside from to 997's. I get great service from them, and I let them know I appreciate it.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
fixed it for ya
Brad, in your experience what percentage of people tip the tech's?

If they tip how much do they usually give?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by riad
One time I had water in the passenger side rear lens, drove past the dealer on the way to work and asked about making an appointment... they looked at it, pulled a new one out of box and replaced the unit right there. I signed a piece of paper for Porsche and was on my way in 5 min. I gave the guys $20 for breakfast because it saved me much more than that in time.

So yes, if they do something above and beyond the norm.

Did something similar - after "qualifying school" for the Silver State last year, I had an odd noise from the rear brakes. I dropped into the Vegas dealer, who had never seen me before and had no special reason to help me. Their service department was booked solid for the day, but they still took my car round the back, found a warped brake dust cover, and bent it back out of the way in a couple of minutes. I got to run the race, and left the tech with $20 (if I'd had more on me, I'd have gone to $50 I think).

Like Riad says, service way beyond the call deserves some recognition - it's not that our $20 will make them rich, but it shows we appreciate their help.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
try again
Hey Brad, I bet you find this thread hilarious with everyone thinking they know what techs get paid etc.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray S
Brad, in your experience what percentage of people tip the tech's?

If they tip how much do they usually give?
.00000000000009%
I dont know.,........................... we arent allowed to take tips, I have gotten the occasinal 6 pack
or a hand shake.
im sure that lots of people tip the serivce advisers in most dealers (again here they arent alowed to take tips) and some problay give the money to the adviser to give to the techs but i doubt if the techs ever see it
Old 08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Hey Brad, I bet you find this thread hilarious with everyone thinking they know what techs get paid etc.

i think you would find that most techs have a hard time breaking 50k a year
and those that do are the guys who either work 12 hour days 6 days a week
or are complete butchers and rapeing people when they bring their cars in.

dealers charge customers 130 an hour
techs would be doing well to get 15-20 % of that.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got my Boxster, some idiot tapped me in the rear at a stoplight, no real visible damage except some small marks on the bumperettes, but I drove to the dealer and they took it right in to check underneath. It was actually the one time they went out of their way and did a good job. I was not sure if I should tip, but wanted to let them know I appreciated the effort so I bought the tech an autographed poster of the 917 by Vic Elford, and the advisor an autographed photo. Not sure if they appreciated it. But I thought it made an appropriate "job well done, thanks."
Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

When the service is fast & well-done, yes, I will give the guy a tip. I don't tip the car wash guy because I don't let them wash (scratch) the car.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:16 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

I personally dont know and will not comment on how much they make. But I just dont agree on paying someone a premium for what they agreed to be paid to do, and do right. A man should not be granted a bonus for having enough pride to do good work..... Although I do agree in certain situations some recognition whether or not monetary are earned.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by td873
Yes. I usually tip on arrival. I also tip the car washing folks separately.

-td
TD - you tip them NOT to wash you car, right?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, although I do give each of the managers at the dealer a good bottle of wine twice a year
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
A good mechanic is on >$100K, tell me again why they need to be tipped?
Tell me where mechanics make this amount of money. As a mechanic I am getting it DRY, if you know what I mean.

If I was making that amount I wouldnt even try to finish college.

On the tip side, mechanic work sucks twisting and bending in all directions, working in confined places, and dealing with whatever the weather is outside, hot or cold. Tipping would be appreciated and if I owned an Indy, I would allow the techs to get tips. It will make the tech strive for better quality and the tech will enjoy better employee satisfaction.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:52 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

$100 an hour?
in new jersey $85-95 seems to be the range.
new york city, easily $100+
but then again, our two car garages are priced like a lot of people's homes!

Quick Reply: Does anyone ever "tip" the service personnel at the dealership?