996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

911 Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

CP, It's my wife's dream car....so I bought her a low mile 01 SL600. She loves it. I enjoy driving it occasionally. With 420 ft/lbs of torque, it's a rocket in a straight line. Around corners, it wallows like a pig. I agree with you on the pagoda SLs...they are gorgeous (not to mention the Gullwing SLs).
I have become a die-hard Porsche fanatic. I enjoy a car that goes around corners and stops as well as it accelerates. I really gained an appreciation for the quality of engineering that goes into our cars when I rebuilt mine. I will proably always own a Porsche. Here is my real dream car...unfortunately it isn't in the family budget right now. http://www.pca.org/mart/classifieds....uery=retrieval
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
I have become a die-hard Porsche fanatic. I enjoy a car that goes around corners and stops as well as it accelerates. I really gained an appreciation for the quality of engineering that goes into our cars when I rebuilt mine.
Mark,

How do you like the EVO intake?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mfletch, you and I share another thing in common. The GT3 also is my "future" car....... Good eye for beauty...
Old 07-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Ray, I absolutely love the EVO intake. I think it is the best modification that I have done to my car. Between the mufflers, headers, EVO CAI, and RSS plenum.....I reduced my 0-60 time from 6.0 to 4.76 (mine is a tiptronic). The sound from the EVO at redline is fantastic.
Michael, I really love the look of the mk1 GT3. I didn't know there were any imported into the US. I told Chuck Jones about this one, he may have bought it by now. It looks great in iris blue.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:47 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray, I absolutely love the EVO intake. I think it is the best modification that I have done to my car. Between the mufflers, headers, EVO CAI, and RSS plenum.....I reduced my 0-60 time from 6.0 to 4.76 (mine is a tiptronic). The sound from the EVO at redline is fantastic.
Michael, I really love the look of the mk1 GT3. I didn't know there were any imported into the US. I told Chuck Jones about this one, he may have bought it by now. It looks great in iris blue.
Mark,

I met up with Chuck on Sunday in Isleton and he said he was going to take a look at that GT3. I heard it was 1 of 4 in the country but the price was really high even though I know Chuck is partial to the blue. Probably can get an 04 or 05 GT3 for less.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Hi Steve, you are right, 77 grand is pretty high. It would be nice to own one of only 3 or 4 in the US. I love that taco tail...I'm sure you can understand. From what I have read, each generation got better. Some of the magazines are predicting the MK1 will be the most collectable. Your's looks every bit as good for probably about half the money.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:19 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Steve, you are right, 77 grand is pretty high. It would be nice to own one of only 3 or 4 in the US. I love that taco tail...I'm sure you can understand. From what I have read, each generation got better. Some of the magazines are predicting the MK1 will be the most collectable. Your's looks every bit as good for probably about half the money.
Yes it would be nice to own it but then there is a lot of other cars I would love to own but cannot, and yes I love the MKI GT3 aero kit too. Thanks for the kind words about mine and yes I paid less than half the amount of that GT3.

Let me know if you hear from Chuck if he bought it or not.

As for this thread...someone has already said this...but there is no alternative to a 911 and now that I am an owner of one I agree
Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were in the market for a coupe I'd consider the following groups

996 C4S
BMW M5
Jaguar XKR Coupe
and my Favorite coupe: Gran Sport
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can definitely without a doubt say that I will always own a 911, Real Mk1 is my fav, but as you have stated when it comes time to write that check, I can put my seat into something that will exceed any expectation I need it to for far less.....

Mark, isnt the evoms intake sensational, that sound at full throttle, like a jet about to leave a carrier IMO.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yizzung
I sat next to the CEO of this company on a plane last week:
http://www.marcos-eng.com/

Supposedly a blast to drive... It's got a Z06 engine in a far lighter chassis.
I remember this brand back when I was a kid in the 70s. I didn't realize they were still around.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Michael, I would consider the EVO CAI and a good set of performance mufflers the two "must do" modifications to our cars. They really change our cars. I look for opportunities to drive my car. When I drive it, (as soon as it is warmed up) I constantly shift it at redline just to hear the sound. I look forward to driving under bridges or tunnels and next to cement walls.
I drove a buddies stock 996tt and was very disappointed with the lack of sound ( the acceleration; however, was far from disappointing). I couldn't be happier with my 996. I bought new MB Quart speakers for my 996 several months ago and I still haven't bothered installing them....I'm too busy listening to the wonderful engine sounds to really care about the stereo.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael, I would consider the EVO CAI and a good set of performance mufflers the two "must do" modifications to our cars. They really change our cars. I look for opportunities to drive my car. When I drive it, (as soon as it is warmed up) I constantly shift it at redline just to hear the sound. I look forward to driving under bridges or tunnels and next to cement walls.
I drove a buddies stock 996tt and was very disappointed with the lack of sound ( the acceleration; however, was far from disappointing). I couldn't be happier with my 996. I bought new MB Quart speakers for my 996 several months ago and I still haven't bothered installing them....I'm too busy listening to the wonderful engine sounds to really care about the stereo.
Mark, you're absolutely right with your assessment! I've the K&N CAI and GHL mufflers and the sound of the car is now just addictive!

Being infected with the mods bug, I do further believe you need to do the RSS Plenum, the B&M SSK, change the suspension, ...

BTW a friend of mine currently puts GT3 sway bars in my car and I'll do the clutch spring mod later this weekend ... Isn't having a Porsche a nice hobby?
Hmmm - looking on what I just wrote, I might have to correct to: Isn't a Porsche out of the box just an unfinished product?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Hwk72, you and I are in 100% agreement. I have the RSS plenum, Billy boat headers & mufflers and the EVO CAI. I could not be happier. My suspension is next (ROW M030). The SSK is out...mine is a tip; otherwise, it would be a must. We all have different ideas of what the ideal mods are. I think most of us agree on the need for mods. It personalizes the car, makes it faster, sound better, and look better. I agree with you about the "unfinished product"...it's like a blank canvas.
Isn't the plenum great from 5,000 to 7,000?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, Plenum, CAI and Mufflers are 100% addictive between 4000 RPM and Redline (I wonder if the headers add even more to this symphony)! Don't tell me about the headers - please, otherwise I'll need some. Cheers & happy Friday, Harold
Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Enjoy your weekend Harold...but, I'm afraid they do. I found mine used on ebay for $700. Good ones are worth waiting for.

Quick Reply: 911 Alternative