996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

911 Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:48 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, you were correct in "its like a blank canvas" but its a blank perfectly engineered canvas with incredible paints (custom parts) available. It is hard to do wrong (but is possible see GT3RS fake on ebay) but is at owners preference. Surely these beautys are money pits, as I take the opportunity to warn Newbs once they join...........
Old 07-28-2007, 06:49 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
Mark, you were correct in "its like a blank canvas" but its a blank perfectly engineered canvas with incredible paints (custom parts) available. It is hard to do wrong (but is possible see GT3RS fake on ebay) but is at owners preference. Surely these beautys are money pits, as I take the opportunity to warn Newbs once they join...........
Eh, you know, since joining the Rennlist community, I keep hearing comments like your "money pit" one and just have to disagree. Sure, you can make mods to a 996, but you can also drive it just like it came out of the box, like my '99 C4. I've done nothing to it--I trust the Porsche engineers more than most (any?) of the aftermarket companies--and I can't say that I plan to.

It drives great in stock form, and having graduated from a Miata (no laughs--it's a pretty great car in its own right), I was pleasantly surprised to find that the maintenance is incredibly simple and inexpensive.

I just don't like thinking that someone might avoid a 996 because of comments suggesting that it's a money pit; it's actually an incredibly inexpensive way to own a late model P-car, provided you do minimal homework before signing the check. It's also hard to match the level of its performance, especially if you count the allure of owning a Porsche in the first place.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I 100% agree with you tooloud10.
The 996 is such a good street and track car "as is" there is no need to plow money into it.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:08 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
I just don't like thinking that someone might avoid a 996 because of comments suggesting that it's a money pit; it's actually an incredibly inexpensive way to own a late model P-car, provided you do minimal homework before signing the check. It's also hard to match the level of its performance, especially if you count the allure of owning a Porsche in the first place.
+1

I also ignored anyone that said 'oh you shouldn't buy a yellow or red car'. Other threads have shown that avoiding a colour just because of what people think will happen is just BS.

Quick Reply: 911 Alternative