Sponsored by:

CPO... what exactly is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO... what exactly is covered?

My convertible top didn't want to close completely (and hence rear windows couldn't be closed), so went to the dealer this AM. They told me they had to replace the Cabrio Top Cap, which basically is the hook that graps in to the front wind shield. Even though the car is CPO, they said it wouldn't be covered. I read through the docs I received from PNA on CPO and it is silent on the convertible top (both in the inclusions and exclusions sections). In my mind, this is part of electrical system/motors and hence should be covered... clearly not a 'wear & tear' item.

Service department at dealer says it's not covered. PNA says they don't know and I should handle with the service manager. Any thoughts? Money isn't big (about $140), but it is more the principal to me.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:05 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call another dealer.....Mine was replaced under CPO warranty....Lots of dealers will say if its not listed as covered, they wont cover it, even though its not listed as not covered. Is it a wear item? I dont think so and thats usually the exclusion. Did you buy that car from this dealer? I found that if I took my car back to the dealer that sold it to me, they were more liberal with the CPO coverage. I had 2 Coolant tanks replaced under CPO warranty, even though everyone says thats not a covered item. I even had PCNA goodwill a 3rd one after the warranty expired.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by newport996
Call another dealer.....Mine was replaced under CPO warranty....Lots of dealers will say if its not listed as covered, they wont cover it, even though its not listed as not covered. Is it a wear item? I dont think so and thats usually the exclusion. Did you buy that car from this dealer? I found that if I took my car back to the dealer that sold it to me, they were more liberal with the CPO coverage. I had 2 Coolant tanks replaced under CPO warranty, even though everyone says thats not a covered item. I even had PCNA goodwill a 3rd one after the warranty expired.
Bought it in Kansas... a little too far of a drive to go back to that dealer...
Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 PM
rmillnj
Racer

With both Porsche and Audi I have found that the service manager can find ways to interpet the details of the warranty in various ways. A creative and helpful service manager can find ways to get lots of things included that theoretically are not. It is always smart to be nice to them and get on their good side.

Basically though there is a list they have which clearly spells out parts that can be replaced under warranty. While one part may not be on the list, if its failure is caused by something that is on the list, they can usually find ways to include it under the warranty. It all depends on how they write it all up.

Just remember the dealership wants to be paid for whatever they do. No matter how much they like you, they need someone to pay the bill.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Bought it in Kansas... a little too far of a drive to go back to that dealer...

Ahh...thats why you are getting screwed....
Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by newport996
Ahh...thats why you are getting screwed....
I think so too!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Put the top down and drive to Kansas. Road Trip!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:39 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillnj
With both Porsche and Audi I have found that the service manager can find ways to interpet the details of the warranty in various ways. A creative and helpful service manager can find ways to get lots of things included that theoretically are not. It is always smart to be nice to them and get on their good side.

Basically though there is a list they have which clearly spells out parts that can be replaced under warranty. While one part may not be on the list, if its failure is caused by something that is on the list, they can usually find ways to include it under the warranty. It all depends on how they write it all up.

Just remember the dealership wants to be paid for whatever they do. No matter how much they like you, they need someone to pay the bill.
Since this part undoubtedly falls in the gray area of coverage, the Service Manager is taking the easy way out since he doesn't want to go through the hassle of trying to collect from Porsche or worse yet from the owner if Porsche won't pay. This is clearly a case where the action taken by the Service Manager will depend upon your realtionship with the Dealer. My experience has been that if I buy my car from a Dealer and have my car serviced there, I'm treated far superior to a stranger who brings his car into the Dealership only for warranty work.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It definitely sounds like an electrical item and NOT a wear and tear item. I'd call PCNA immediately and keep going up the chain until you hear what you want to hear.

Quick Reply: CPO... what exactly is covered?