Sponsored by:

Wanted: Best Tampa Car Audio Shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:53 PM
wlcrook
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted: Best Tampa Car Audio Shop

Help! Looking for a good car audio shop around the Tampa area. Can go west to Clearwater or St Pete also. May go to Orlando for the right service if nothing in and around my immediate area. I've tried Sensuous Sounds and they keep blowing off my appointments. I hear they are great, but so far I'm not impressed with the pre-service.

I've installed a few car stereos in my previous life, but not sure I trust my handywork on the Porsche without some professional help.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get to Sound Advice in Sarasota, they do awesome work...

I have some contacts if you would like...I also have a friend who does this kind of stuff ont he side if you are looking to save a little money and don't need it done in a single day

You need to kinda explainw hat you want done though. Custom? Replacement? Molded boxes etc...
Old 07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
wlcrook
Cruisin'

Thanks. I'm looking to replace all my speakers and the head unit. I'm looking at navigation equipped units with the pop out screens. Want decent quality (not necessarily top of the line, but not crap either) and it needs to be much louder than stock because I have a cabriolet so I know an amp is needed. My car came with the door pockets instead of speakers in the doors, but I have replacement factory panels to put there. Should be happy with the bass from decent door speakers. Has your friend done any 996's? Not in any real hurry.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Gator911
Racer

I woudl definitely take it to Sound Advice. I think there is one up by you but I dont know anything about their installers...

I know the ones here have done custom carrera systems and do great work...They could have what you want done out in day so you could make a 1-day trip out of it most likely...

Is your care MOST?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 AM
wlcrook
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Gator911
Is your care MOST?
MOST?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Gator911
Racer

Originally Posted by wlcrook
MOST?
Ok I'll make it easy...

What year is your car?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:53 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

I forget the name but it a store at I-275 and Bears east side of I-275 They did high end cars years ago. I have not stopped by in years but did have a system done by them..
Old 07-24-2007, 04:51 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a good one on Dale Mabry across from the stadium I think it is Buzz something?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
wlcrook
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Gator911
What year is your car?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Gator911
Racer

Any good shop can do what you want to do...I can recommend Sound Advice but you will have to make that decision...
Old 07-25-2007, 09:23 PM
wlcrook
Cruisin'

Update: I went to Sound Advice here in Tampa and talked with them for a bit. I was able to get a quote and meet with their top installer for a bit. Though the sales guy wasn't all that helpful, the installer seemed to know what he was talking about. The sales guy actually scared me and was getting me upset at a few points because he kept telling me exactly what I wanted, without even asking me. I had to drag details and options out of him. I finally did manage to walk away with a quote though.

I also took a chance and stopped by at Senuous Sounds and finally got someone to talk to me there too. The sales guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about (mentioned being an installer for 25 years and knew that the company had done hundreds of Porsche installs) and I felt much more comfortable as he guided me through the choices. One thing he mentioned to me that doesn't make sense is that he would not install or hook up dash speakers. He explained that they are too close to your ears and that the windshield deflection causes distortion and interfere with a full sound. Door speakers were the best choice for him. He did say I could put a pair of tweeters up there, but that the volume would be 1/3 of the ones in the doors.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone has ever heard of the preference to delete the dash speakers before?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Gator911
Racer

Update: I went to Sound Advice here in Tampa and talked with them for a bit. I was able to get a quote and meet with their top installer for a bit. Though the sales guy wasn't all that helpful, the installer seemed to know what he was talking about. The sales guy actually scared me and was getting me upset at a few points because he kept telling me exactly what I wanted, without even asking me. I had to drag details and options out of him. I finally did manage to walk away with a quote though.

I also took a chance and stopped by at Senuous Sounds and finally got someone to talk to me there too. The sales guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about (mentioned being an installer for 25 years and knew that the company had done hundreds of Porsche installs) and I felt much more comfortable as he guided me through the choices. One thing he mentioned to me that doesn't make sense is that he would not install or hook up dash speakers. He explained that they are too close to your ears and that the windshield deflection causes distortion and interfere with a full sound. Door speakers were the best choice for him. He did say I could put a pair of tweeters up there, but that the volume would be 1/3 of the ones in the doors.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone has ever heard of the preference to delete the dash speakers before?
Usually what I would think you would do is buy a good set of 3 ways, putting the bass and mid in the door, and the tweeter in the dash housing...

In the back you can get a cheaper set of mids just for fill, you would hardly hear them...

Combine this with a decent 8in subwoofer in the rear deck, solid head unit, and an amp in the trunk(dependent on your speakers) you would have a great setup...

I suggest Focal components and MB Quart....Sound is a personal thing though. Some like highs, some like mids, and some are bassheads...

I love highs...Hearing the cymbals and the high hat/snare are my preference.

Quick Reply: Wanted: Best Tampa Car Audio Shop