Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Dynaudio 3-way speakers mounted in stock locations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:31 AM
bk12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have Dynaudio 3-way speakers mounted in stock locations?

My stereo upgrade is creeping along and I need to get a set of front speakers....hear a lot about the Focals, but have always loved Dynaudios. I am considering the Dynaudio 3-way set, but wonder how the big "muffin top" mid will fit in the stock location in the dash. I did a search and found mention of the Dyns, but not much input on the actual installs.

Does anyone have that setup in the stock locations? Did installation of the small domed mid woofer in the dash require a lot of modification or other heartache?

On a related note, anyone have experience with both Dyns and Focals and pick the Focals (I am looking at the Polyglass series 3 ways)? I don't have much experience with those, but I hear rumors of a tweeter that can be a little harsh, which I fear could be magnified firing into the windshield. I am leaning towards the Dyns as they are a known for me....anyone have thoughts regarding comparison?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Melchior
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both/all installs require that you cut up the old speaker to use as a mounting ring. I used the Focls and they sound incredible. The Dyns should sound good too but the clearance issue you mention for the tweeter my be a problem; but I used the Focal FAA100CA that have a tweeter sticking up and had no issues. If you want a good pricing on Focals or Dyns: http://vipmobileonline.stores.yahoo.net/24.html
Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
janagler
Intermediate

I have 2 way Dynaudio, the 242GT in my Porsche and Focal Polykevlar k2p's in my X5. I prefer the sound of the Dyn's. I find the sound to be smoother and silkier. Also, I power the Dyn's with a Genesis solid state amp and the Focal's with a Butler hybrid tube amp. You would think that the tube amp would smooth out the sound, but the Dyn's with the SS still sound better to me and are less fatiguing. PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this talk of harsh, bright, smooth is almost useless unless you post what type of head unit you are using...you know each brand has its own signature...Apline is VERY hyped, Kenwood is smooth, Pioneer harsh, Eclispe is very neutral, etc...and then it depends on the amp used...I have Focals 3 way seperates up front and 2 way seperates in the rear in my car with Kenwood head unit and Audison LRX 6.9 Amp....It sounds AMAZING....not at all harsh, but the Kenwood has a relaxed high end....so its probably the head unit....its crisp and clear...I have been told my car is the cleanest system, played loud people have ever heard, no distortion, no harshness. i also have a JL Audio 8" sub in a custom box.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 AM
janagler
Intermediate

Newport,

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. The amplifier will affect the sound much, much more than the head unit. That is why your Kenwood, which is a crappy HU IMO, is not bothering your sound. Your amp and speakers are very good. The best HU's are made by McIntosh, Eclipse, Nakamichi and even Alpine. Kenwood and Pioneer are not as good, even if they are 5V, they are just not as clean as these others. I have a McIntosh HU in both cars which obviously helps the sound, but even when I changed from the factory HU in the X5 to the Mac, the sound improved, but minimally. I wouldn't leave the stock HU, but as long as you get 5V out, you will get pretty good sound.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Melchior
Pro

janagler,

Are you serious? You tell Newport that he doesn't know what he is talking about and then rave about which HU are the best. The Amplifier does just that, Amplify. If it is getting a poor signal due transfer or the HU is doing a poor job translating the music data (processing) then the amp doesn't have much to work with. I agree with you that Kenwood and Pioneer are lesser than the others you mentioned (maybe not Alpine's lower models) but the phrase "crap in, crap out" applies here.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:22 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by janagler
Newport,

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. The amplifier will affect the sound much, much more than the head unit. That is why your Kenwood, which is a crappy HU IMO, is not bothering your sound. Your amp and speakers are very good. The best HU's are made by McIntosh, Eclipse, Nakamichi and even Alpine. Kenwood and Pioneer are not as good, even if they are 5V, they are just not as clean as these others. I have a McIntosh HU in both cars which obviously helps the sound, but even when I changed from the factory HU in the X5 to the Mac, the sound improved, but minimally. I wouldn't leave the stock HU, but as long as you get 5V out, you will get pretty good sound.
I have been into car audio for 20 years and been an audio PROFESSIONAL for 20 years...I mix TV and music for a LIVING. I can tell the differences BY LISTENING to alot of head units. Ask ANY competent audio shop if there is a "signature" sound between brands. Ever heard of Reus Audio? They do ultra high end audio systems, and they do lots of things if you have your own head unit so the sound system sounds the same regardless of which brand you have. Alpine USED to be a very good head unit...now its a very HYPED high end. Kenwood Excellon is one of the best as far as sound, the knock on it is the high end isnt hyped, maybe relaxed. Do some research before you talk out your @ss...if you amplify junk, then its loud junk.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:01 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Fast forward a few years and here comes Digital Signal Processing with herculean filters/processing with automotive HiFi systems. Recall the old phrase "You can't shine a sneaker". With DSP you can . . . .

Last edited by M. Schneider; 12-22-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have Dynaudio 3-way speakers mounted in stock locations?