Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche charger Question

I intended to buy this charger: Fancy charger

But ended up getting this one: Not so fancy charger

Read other recent posts from me and you'll understand how I walked away without really checking what charger I got.

The manual that come with the charger doesn't really say much to enlighten me so I'm turning to my trusty Rennlist brothers. My intent was to get a trickle charger that I can leave connected so that the battery is always well charged. However, the somewhat vague description on the charger I got seems to indicate that I should only charge when "the vehicle has been left standing for longer periods".

So is there really any difference other than cosmetics? Does the charger I bought work as a trickle charger/battery maintainer and can I leave it connected in between drives?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

HUGE difference between the two. There is a reason for the price disparity.

Both versions plug into a wall socket and have a lighter plug on the other end that goes into the vehicles cigarette lighter socket.

The 955-044-900-54 can do motorcycle (m/c) batteries and car batteries and also puts in up to 3.3 amps and trickles down from there. This more expensive one fits the 2002 and later Porsche cigarette lighter socket just perfect, but not the older cars. You can use it in the older cars if you buy the newer cigarette lighter (male and female part, comes together) for little under 15.00 dollars. This unit is good for older batteries to help keep them fully charged as older batteries tend to be less apt to hold a charge the older they get.

The 980-611-981-00 maintainer puts out a max of .5 (half an amp) so it's meant to only keep the battery at the state of charge it was in when put up for winter storage for example. It doesn't even TRY to charge the battery.

....whereas the more expensive one has the capability to put out more than a half an amp it can actually charge a battery if left on for a couple of days. Although it wasn't designed to be a charger it will charge up a dead battery but will take longer than the higher amperage variety sold elsewhere.

Hope that helps explain it a bit.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
I intended to buy this charger: Fancy charger

But ended up getting this one: Not so fancy charger

Read other recent posts from me and you'll understand how I walked away without really checking what charger I got.

The manual that come with the charger doesn't really say much to enlighten me so I'm turning to my trusty Rennlist brothers. My intent was to get a trickle charger that I can leave connected so that the battery is always well charged. However, the somewhat vague description on the charger I got seems to indicate that I should only charge when "the vehicle has been left standing for longer periods".

So is there really any difference other than cosmetics? Does the charger I bought work as a trickle charger/battery maintainer and can I leave it connected in between drives?
I use the 98061198100 trickle charger in the winter if and when I won't be driving it for a few weeks such as when there's snow, ice, sand and salt on roads.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:39 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Hey Dell, how much power do these use. Im planning on picking up a new daily driver and want to keep my car ready to roll. Does it use much house electricity????
Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
Hey Dell, how much power do these use. Im planning on picking up a new daily driver and want to keep my car ready to roll. Does it use much house electricity????
very negligible amount. nothing that you would notice on a power bill
Old 07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Dell, always good info from you. Picking one up soon. Do you use one of these models or a different one?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The more expensive of the two. It is better to have since it can do so much more other than just "lock" the charge when you put it in for the winter (or an extended peiod of time). There are several other guys on the board I know (GT3 crowd) that use it faithfully since the cars (GT3's) really don't get driven much.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the fancy one and it fits fine in the cigarette lighter receptacle of my 2001.

Of course now that I got my ignition switch fixed it's hardly ever used.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:37 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
[The 955-044-900-54 can do motorcycle (m/c) batteries and car batteries and also puts in up to 3.3 amps and trickles down from there. This more expensive one fits the 2002 and later Porsche cigarette lighter socket just perfect, but not the older cars. You can use it in the older cars if you buy the newer cigarette lighter (male and female part, comes together) for little under 15.00 dollars.
Hey Dell, so if I read this correctly then, the better unit is not designed to work with my 1999 without the cigaretter lighter adapter. Does this mean that there isn't a high end unit made by Porsche like the one for 2002+ for my 1999?

Thanks as always mate
Old 07-19-2007, 01:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It's not that it isn't designed for your car, it is just that some (if not all) of the 99-01 cars had a different cig lighter receiver. If yours happens to be one of them you can easily replace or get the adapter.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not that it isn't designed for your car, it is just that some (if not all) of the 99-01 cars had a different cig lighter receiver. If yours happens to be one of them you can easily replace or get the adapter.
Thanks Dell.

So, because I have been looking into a charger for my car when I store it for the winter here in northern california, but wasn't sure which one to get but I liked the better one, if I get the better one, see if it fits and if not get the adpater. Do you know where can I get the adapter, from (Suncoast)?

Old 07-19-2007, 02:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The adapter kit can be purchased from the dealer. When I say adapter, I mean you actual need the updated lighter receiver (about $15). Since you are on the left coast, call up Sunset Porsche in Oregon. They are cost +15% and no tax. Usually the cheapest (as well as Suncoast).

If you ask me, it's probably cheaper to just buy from your local dealer since it is such a low dollar part. But if you are ordering the charger (Sunset, Suncoast, etc) then just order with it).
Old 07-19-2007, 02:46 PM
AsianImage
Racer

Since purchasing my beater, I dont plan on driving my car as much, but I am stuck. I live in a condo with a shared underground parking. So I do NOT have any outlets around and I am sure my neighbors would not appreciate a long *** extension cord running down the stairs into the garage.

As it is I am going on day 5 of my car sitting under the car cover waiting to be driven this weekend.

Are there any options for people in my situation?

I think I may take the car out for a spin tonight when it cools down! cuz I am worried...
Old 07-19-2007, 02:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AsianImage
Are there any options for people in my situation?
Sure there is. Set up a time once a week for a drive Great for the battery and great for your mental health (cheaper than a good psychiatrist).
Old 07-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Thanks Dell. Good info. I got the wrong charger so I'm taking it back and getting the more expensive one.

HUGE difference between the two. There is a reason for the price disparity.

Both versions plug into a wall socket and have a lighter plug on the other end that goes into the vehicles cigarette lighter socket.

The 955-044-900-54 can do motorcycle (m/c) batteries and car batteries and also puts in up to 3.3 amps and trickles down from there. This more expensive one fits the 2002 and later Porsche cigarette lighter socket just perfect, but not the older cars. You can use it in the older cars if you buy the newer cigarette lighter (male and female part, comes together) for little under 15.00 dollars. This unit is good for older batteries to help keep them fully charged as older batteries tend to be less apt to hold a charge the older they get.

The 980-611-981-00 maintainer puts out a max of .5 (half an amp) so it's meant to only keep the battery at the state of charge it was in when put up for winter storage for example. It doesn't even TRY to charge the battery.

....whereas the more expensive one has the capability to put out more than a half an amp it can actually charge a battery if left on for a couple of days. Although it wasn't designed to be a charger it will charge up a dead battery but will take longer than the higher amperage variety sold elsewhere.

Hope that helps explain it a bit.

Quick Reply: Porsche charger Question