Sponsored by:

Radar Jammer

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Radar Jammer

Has anyone here had any personal experience with a radar jammer such as the Scorpion? I know they are highly illegal, but I am still curious how effective they actually are. I have heard that there are one or two models that work, but I do not know anyone personally who has used one.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default No experience, because they can't work. The radio band used by radar is FCC...

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Has anyone here had any personal experience with a radar jammer such as the Scorpion? I know they are highly illegal, but I am still curious how effective they actually are. I have heard that there are one or two models that work, but I do not know anyone personally who has used one.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
regulated and one needs an FCC license to broadcast on those bands. (One may not need a license if the broadcast power is low (less than a watt?) and the time spent on the band is short (on the order of milliseconds), but with these restrictions the device is unlikely to be effective.)

To use a radar jammer you might as well paint your car with snake oil.

Laser jammers can be effective, because the band used by these is regulated by a different agency therefore they can potentially work.

However, use one and you might get cited for interfering with a police officer's performance of his duties, since your car may not be the car he had his laser eye on. Ditto a radar jammer if it emits any detectable energy.

(In my road driving, with my V1, I occasionally get a very strong radar signal from an oncoming vehicle, or sometimes a vehicle I'm passing/overtaking, which I attribute to a radar jammer. Weaker signals are simply vehicles with *noisy* radar detectors. If my V1 can pick it up, so can a radar/laser gun being used by a traffic enforcement officer....)

If you want, buy a radar/laser detector. A quality device, used properly and used with knowledge of its limitations can help you avoid bogus speeding citations.

No detector (or "jammer") makes your car invisible to radar/laser guns nor invisible to the sight of a traffic enforcement officer.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

(In my road driving, with my V1, I occasionally get a very strong radar signal from an oncoming vehicle, or sometimes a vehicle I'm passing/overtaking, which I attribute to a radar jammer. Macster.
Either that or it's a Mercedes S600. The newer models apparently have Distronic Plus, which emits radar. I discovered this when my neighbor bought one a few months ago, and I followed him for a couple of miles with my K40 bleeping the whole way until I passed him. I called K40 later that morning and they told me about Distronic Plus. Let's hope they don't sell too many of those S600's.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a V1 and will agree that they are spectacular.

I may be using the wrong term to say that it is a radar jammer. I actually have no idea how they work. I agree that there are many shady products out there. I just heard from a guy that swears they work. He claims that when he drives by those cop trailers that display your speed, it won't give a speed reading. I know that he has no interest in the company and I was curious if anyone else out there had used something similar.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 AM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be using the wrong term to say that it is a radar jammer. I actually have no idea how they work. I agree that there are many shady products out there. I just heard from a guy that swears they work. He claims that when he drives by those cop trailers that display your speed, it won't give a speed reading. I know that he has no interest in the company and I was curious if anyone else out there had used something similar.

I would like to point out (being a black belt Master Of The Obvious): The little cop trailers don't do instantly recognize a "jammed" signal, whip out into traffic, run you down, and proceed to explain to you in no uncertain terms just how deep of a pile of poop you put yourself in with your illegal device interfering with law enforcement.

Run silent, run deep.

Oh, and BTW check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=K40
Old 07-18-2007, 07:20 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Either that or it's a Mercedes S600. The newer models apparently have Distronic Plus, which emits radar. I discovered this when my neighbor bought one a few months ago, and I followed him for a couple of miles with my K40 bleeping the whole way until I passed him. I called K40 later that morning and they told me about Distronic Plus. Let's hope they don't sell too many of those S600's.
Not that you'd probably want to do it to one of the radar bands, but I had to actually disable the laser detection on my V1 because I often use it in my Infiniti FX, which has a laser-based intelligent cruise control. Even if you're not using the laser cruise, the laser is always on in the Infiniti (for the "panic braking" feature") and thus makes the detector go nuts about 40% of the entire time you've got the car running. The big QX and the smaller (not out yet) EX have the same feature.

Even with no laser detection, it's still the best detector money can buy as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:44 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother had an active jammer back in 1999/2000. It was huge box on the dash and it worked until KA band became popular.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It definitely works on speed trailers I saw that myself but my brother would often call me from his mobile phone right after he jammed NC cops, who loved using instant on radar.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

The biggest problem in CO is Vascar, a system they use to time you between 2 points and average speed is calculated. They don't point anything at the car; they simply hit a Start and a Stop button. That and undercover vehicles that pace are my biggest concerns. The V1 is a great device for a lot of situations and has paid for itself many times over.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
However, use one and you might get cited for interfering with a police officer's performance of his duties, since your car may not be the car he had his laser eye on.
This hardly seems a likely scenario. The laser beam is pencil wide, even at a long distance. The laser jammer must be illuminated by this very narrow beam before it responds and potentially affects the laser emitter.

It is very unlikely that a laser targeting a car other than yours could somehow trigger your jammer to thereby respond with a burst and return a bad signal on the laser readout.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
This hardly seems a likely scenario. The laser beam is pencil wide, even at a long distance. The laser jammer must be illuminated by this very narrow beam before it responds and potentially affects the laser emitter.

It is very unlikely that a laser targeting a car other than yours could somehow trigger your jammer to thereby respond with a burst and return a bad signal on the laser readout.
The lidar beam is actually about three feet wide at 1000 feet, so it's a possibility that the jammer could work, but the return on that investment is probably pretty slim, as you suggest.

Quick Reply: Radar Jammer