Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My Difference between the VI and K40 front/rear w/laser jammer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:54 AM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NCporsche
As I'll be upgrading to a laser jamming system, I'm finding this thread interesting. Looking at the K-40 site, there is no rear protection with the K-40. Yes, they guarantee to pay the tickets, but being lasered in the rear is something I would rather avoid, than be reimbursed for the ticket. They don't refund points on the license.

Looking at the Beltronics RX-75 Pro, although it's pricey, it seems to be a more complete system for front and rear protection.

Anybody have any experience with the Beltronics system?
"lasered in the rear is something I would rather avoid"... got a good chuckle out of that. fortunately in NY, from what i understand and what my insurance buddy tells me, is that as long as you have no claims the insurance companies never look at out of state activity. you do not get points on your license from out of state speeding tickets as long as you just pay the fine on time.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM
LowStro9
Instructor

I have had a Bel or Two and although I liked them as well as my Passport x50, the V1 was, and always will be, the one to choose for me. I love the "situational" radar arrows and have learned to read them quite well.

Since I started this thread, I have spent more time paying attention to both the K40 and the V1. The K40 really is chattering all the time when the V1 is quite. The K40 flashes in the rear when the V1 is quite but I know the Diffuser if up there doing its thing which makes it an easy decision to live with the chattering that the V1 doesn't feel the need to reverb.

My laser diffuser is mounted under the front bumper but is not in a plate frame. You can buy the diffuser without the frame.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:27 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
fortunately in NY, from what i understand and what my insurance buddy tells me, is that as long as you have no claims the insurance companies never look at out of state activity. you do not get points on your license from out of state speeding tickets as long as you just pay the fine on time.
You're spot on according to the NY DMV:
If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?
The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

Drivers from other states must contact the DMV in their home state to get information about the effect of a traffic violation conviction that occurs in NYS.

If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.
But, I wouldn't guarantee that insurance companies don't have a way of pinging all DMVs to check for traffic violations and adjusting your premium accordingly. But, if they only get it from the NY DMV, then I guess I'll be enjoying my drives in CT, MA, VT, and NJ a lot more. I will warn you that if you amass enough points in those states to have your license suspended, you WILL lose your privileges in THAT state. Ask me how I know...and how much of a hassle it was to resolve it.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:03 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

nycebo,
sounds like you are speaking from a bit of experience! i'm always a lot less worried when i'm driving out of state for just this reason. never like getting nailed by a cop but it is a bit more tolerable if you know that you are not going to get any points.

Quick Reply: My Difference between the VI and K40 front/rear w/laser jammer.