Sponsored by:

Radar Detector Mount In CA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:08 PM
bk12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radar Detector Mount In CA?

Hi everyone, I live in California, and it is illegal to mount anything to your windshield. Looking at picking up a V1, and wondering where you have seen these mounted, other than the windshield. I see the V1 comes with a visor mount...does anyone take this route, and how does that work in the 996? I have searched on here and other places, and haven't found a great solution just yet. Anyone with any tips to share?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
carlo$
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always mount on visor, click:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2034953/8
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2379797/10
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/262575/31

also, there is a guy around here who sells some cool straps for the visors.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:27 PM
carlo$
Instructor

Default i dont know if it works w/p cars but the price is right

price is right:
[IMG]
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94100-94199/94169.gif[/IMG]

click here for details:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94169
Old 07-13-2007, 02:53 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Couple 'o comments:

First, there are some areas on the windshield that items can be mounted, check the DMV regs carefully. For instance, the Fastrak toll transponders can be mounted in certain spots.

Second, when I use my RD, I mount it on the windshield with the standard suction cup device and have never had any problems or comments from local PD or CHP.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:09 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

This is news to me, I've had radar detectors mounted on my windshield in California for 20 years and never had anyone mention it. And that is not to say I haven't had my share of tickets either. No traffic officer has ever said anything.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running all sorts of things stuck to my windshield. of my truck...my Lowrance GPS system, a notepad etc. I've seen truckers with all sorts of suction cup devices on their windshelds...in addition to the newer Tom Tom GPS holders etc. I do not believe that California has such a law...or if it does, I have never been stopped, or talked to anyone who has been stopped.

There was a law that was enacted to stop people from hanging those big dice (50's era) and teddy bears etc from their rear view mirrors and anything that would obstruct the view....maybe this is what you're referring to.....the interpretation of "obsruct the view".
Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Courtesy of the CA DMV:

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View
26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and which occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and which provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Amended Sec. 77, Ch. 1154, Stats. 1996. Effective September 30, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Driven my '02 Boxster all over the west -- it's got over 170,000+ miles ...

Originally Posted by bk12
Hi everyone, I live in California, and it is illegal to mount anything to your windshield. Looking at picking up a V1, and wondering where you have seen these mounted, other than the windshield. I see the V1 comes with a visor mount...does anyone take this route, and how does that work in the 996? I have searched on here and other places, and haven't found a great solution just yet. Anyone with any tips to share?
on it, and all have been with a V1 mounted just to the left of the rear view mirror by the suction cup mounting and mounted up about level with the rear view mirror.

Around 80,000 of those miles have been accumulated while driving in CA, both as a visitor and as a resident. (The other 90,000 miles were accumulated in areas most of which have even more diligent speeding enforcement that what I experience in my area of CA.)

I've been pulled over in the Boxster with the V1 present several times and not once has any cop complained about it interfering with my vision, let alone cited me for having it present.

In fact, not one has even mentioned it. I'm not sure if they even notice it, since it is not readily visible from outside the car unless you happen to be standing directly in front of the car and know where to look. Besides, the last thing a traffic cop is going to be looking at when stopping anyone, even a Porsche driver, is some radar detector.

They're all interested in where your hands are.

Just if pulled over don't reach up to switch V1 off...

Once or twice, after I first got V1 when I was suspected a passing patrol car or closing patrol car coming up from behind was going to pull me over I'd reach up and remove the V1 from the glass and slip it down on the floor or behind my seat back.

But since then I don't bother.

For those few times I was pulled over and issued a citation, believing the citation to be without merit, I challenged them -- using an attorney in the area in which I was cited -- and all citations were either reduced to non-moving violations or dismissed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well there you go....Eharrison has posted a very clear and concise documentation of the law as it applies to California and the placement of devices on the windshield that obstruct the view...Thank you so much for the clarification....

"(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface. "

HUH?????????????
Old 07-14-2007, 03:24 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Well there you go....Eharrison has posted a very clear and concise documentation of the law as it applies to California and the placement of devices on the windshield that obstruct the view...Thank you so much for the clarification....

"(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface. "

HUH?????????????
Better yet:

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

Sooooo since the radar detector is communicating with the law enforcement does that mean "A"?

And soooo traffic management means slow down when the detector goes off? Hence "B"? I'm sure they've been addressed in some court room......

Statues and clarifying technically cannot be used in the same sentence. See California State Statute 23432b (c) At no time can the two words "clarification" and "statute" be included in one sentence. Except as under a negative conotation. ie. "Dude there's a totally lack of clarification of defintion under the current California Statute, bro."
Old 07-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Melchior
Pro

I have had this Whistler Remote radar detector installed in my car for 2 years now and love it.

http://www.beachaudio.com/Whistler/P...prodid=pro3450

No need to spend over $200 on a nice radar detector that mounts remotely in the grill; and I get great coverage plus laser detection.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector Mount In CA?