Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GT3 Suspension on 996 C2 (before and after)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:12 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Stir things up? Imflamatory? My, you wet pumpers sure do get your feelings hurt easily by some trivial comments. I made an attempt to claim that his new setup was so far superior that his engine couldn't withstand all the grip it offered. It's more of compliment to his setup rather than an attack on his oiling system. Geez, so sensitive. Did Paul get offended? That should help explain how far you blew this out of proportion.

With that said though, I thoroughly apologize if you are offended by my comments.
haha dude, no apology is needed because my feelings have not even been remotely hurt. you give yourself waaay too much credit...and i'm not the one who's being defensive

my, you've gotten uppitty since you've gotten that gt3 . BTW, your gt3 is a wet pumper too

Geez, so sensitive. Did Paul get offended?
i was referring to the response you got from KJ.
It's more of compliment to his setup rather than an attack on his oiling system.
oh please, now you are really diggin deep.

you don't hold a monopoly on calling people out when you think they are wrong, nor do you hold a monopoly on yanking someone's chain . just a taste of your own medicine.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:04 PM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

How do you think the GT3 suspension would fair out on a cab?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
haha dude, no apology is needed because my feelings have not even been remotely hurt. you give yourself waaay too much credit...and i'm not the one who's being defensive

my, you've gotten uppitty since you've gotten that gt3 . BTW, your gt3 is a wet pumper too

oh please, now you are really diggin deep.

you don't hold a monopoly on calling people out when you think they are wrong, nor do you hold a monopoly on yanking someone's chain . just a taste of your own medicine.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I didn't get offended. And I actually took Dell's post as a semi serious question that I tried to answer. After all, It is not like it is a myth about oil starvation with high g-loads or the factory wouldn't have invented an oiling kit and provided an opinion on the matter. But of course tons of folks take their car to DE's and more importanly have campainged their 996 in a race series and have not had engine problems.

However, is a baffled oil pan; x51 or brey krause cheap insurance and piece of mind. Absolutely if you have an improved suspension and push your car on the track.

These are cars. Things will break on them when you use them the way the engineers really meant. No car of any brand or make is bullet proof.

BTW: I have a real strong opinion now about the 996s and supposed engines blowing up....By and large, I still feel that they are pretty darn reliable and that they don't just blow up, but lots of people have had things break on the engine that no one knows how to diagnose and fix and simply get a new engine. In my case, my engine could have been fixed (anyone ever break a timing belt on any interference car and get it fixed? sure ya did), but the problem is that it would have cost as much as replacing the engine so why bother.

All righty then.. I have been up for 2 days straight.. See all next week.

-Paul
Old 12-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Hey folks sorry to resurrect the dead. I got my car back yesterday. Drove it to DC from Atlanta with a 3.6L singing where the 3.4 used to be. 1st impressions after a 10hr drive. Noticeable torque increase in the bottom end and when the Variocam + kicks in it is a nice big push to the redline much more so than with the 3.4. Overall very happy with it. Will start up a new thread and post some more info about what was done and a picture of my old engine with a connecting rod trying to escape from the engine block.

-Paul
Old 12-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paul,

thx for the update.... the 3.6 must really haul in your 99 c2... I hear that conversion quite arduous.... what was the total co$t if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

I'll start a new thread with all the info... It cost about 1K less than just getting a 3.4 from porsche and having it installed. Many will dissagree but to me it was worth it as opposed to just replacing like with like. After all, if I am going to drop 10-11K then I should at least get some newfound performance.

Cruised home at 80-90 plus where traffic allowed. Of course I had more than a few runs up the speedo when no-one was in sight for miles. Used my cruise when tired. The temps stayed put and got 27mpg at that speed. Oh yeah and it is fast as heck.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Hey folks sorry to resurrect the dead. I got my car back yesterday. Drove it to DC from Atlanta with a 3.6L singing where the 3.4 used to be. 1st impressions after a 10hr drive. Noticeable torque increase in the bottom end and when the Variocam + kicks in it is a nice big push to the redline much more so than with the 3.4. Overall very happy with it. Will start up a new thread and post some more info about what was done and a picture of my old engine with a connecting rod trying to escape from the engine block.

-Paul
that's great. i am thinking of going to a 3.6 when my 3.4 blows but it doesn't seem to want to give up.

your car is a 99 right? i am very interested in how you integrated the cable throttle to an egas engine.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

totally... the 99's were quick already due to lower weight and cable throttle.... the 3.6 must be a nice upgrade... and I bet its so trorqued out you don't have to modify it at all via chip or anything like that...
Old 12-15-2007, 01:35 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to hear that you have your car back Paul! It was a long wait but I'm sure the result is awarding! Cheers, Harold
Old 12-15-2007, 02:11 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
totally... the 99's were quick already due to lower weight and cable throttle.... the 3.6 must be a nice upgrade... and I bet its so trorqued out you don't have to modify it at all via chip or anything like that...
+1
Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 suspension on 996 C2 Cab

Inspired by Paul, convinced by Dell, I did the same modification as Paul to my 2000 C2 Cab. I got Dell's used stock GT3 coilovers and had them installed on my car (I did already have the GT3 sway bars). The GT3 coilovers replaced stock shocks with H&R lowering springs. Thanks to both Paul and Dell for their patience; I had a lot of questions!

The ride height and sway bars are set to stock GT3 settings. Latter means middle of 5 holes up front and 2nd to soft of 4 holes in the rear.

I went for an extensive test drive yesterday afternoon through the mountains of the Shenandoah Valley (45 Fahrenheit, dry roads). It's amazing how precise the car now handles! The ride is harsh but not worse and much more balanced than with the H&R lowering springs on stock shocks. IMO, that's how every 911 should get delivered! I really look forward to my first DE event with the new suspension in early March.

Below pfd shows the initial and final alignment numbers and the garage pictures the car before the install with the H&Rs, the other pics the car after the suspension upgrade.

The difference in ride height is not much (a little lower now) but the feel of the car has completely changed. It's worth to mention that the new suspension reduces the dipping of the nose under hard braking so I do have more control over the car while braking which clearly helps to reduce understeer when trail braking into turns.

I did further swap my spacers so I'm now running 15mm in the front and 7mm in the rear. However, I still had one episode of brief rubbing in the rear over a high speed hump downhill so I might get my fenders rolled.
Attached Images     
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
alignment.pdf (34.6 KB, 415 views)
Old 01-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Harold,

Keep this up and we'll all start calling your car the green meanie at the track. Looking sharp!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

FIY: Stock sway bar setting is actually 1 from full stiff both front and rear. So you'd need to go 1 adjustment stiffer both front and rear to be at the stock GT3 settings.

Good to see you're enjoying the transformation of the car.

Andy

Quick Reply: GT3 Suspension on 996 C2 (before and after)