Sponsored by:

996 vs Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007 | 08:18 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RyeHigh
WOW Thank you for all the advice..this is great....I will post pics of the car when I get it....hopefully nextweek...CHEERS!!!!
Isn't it great having to choose between 2 great cars? I was in a similar position a few years ago. Like most have said, drive them and pick the one you like the most. I wanted a convertible and I'm happy with my choice. If I wasn't looking for a convertible, the beautiful lines of the 996 coupe would have drawn me to a 996. There's a noticeable difference in power between a 986S and a 996. That being said, the 986S is pretty damn quick itself. Unless you track the car, it's more power than you'll ever need. Then again, you might just want more anyway. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 07-07-2007 | 09:15 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Hi Ray....haha....you are right...I won't even bother editing that error...but you nailed me. I did drive a few "boxters", but not the s....and while it's a great car, and handles better than most on the road...it just didn't do it for me. Reminded me of the feel of my old MR2....and I needed more. I still respect the car and admire the looks....just not for me, and I stand firm on 911 owners not regretting their purchase over a boxster. There are plenty of people who buy 911's after the boxster, but far fewer the reverse.

Best,
J
Old 07-08-2007 | 01:18 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Hi Ray....haha....you are right...I won't even bother editing that error...but you nailed me. I did drive a few "boxters", but not the s....and while it's a great car, and handles better than most on the road...it just didn't do it for me. Reminded me of the feel of my old MR2....and I needed more. I still respect the car and admire the looks....just not for me, and I stand firm on 911 owners not regretting their purchase over a boxster. There are plenty of people who buy 911's after the boxster, but far fewer the reverse.

Best,
J

I think it's a power thing not a nameplate thing.
Old 07-08-2007 | 08:04 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by JBRipps

Best,
J
Well I've owned three 911s, the last being a 993, and I just bought a Boxster. In my case it was buying a car that best met my driving needs. When you live in a beautiful part of the country as I do, then you want a car that enables you to enjoy the outdoors. I considered buying a 997 cabrio, but when I found that I enjoyed the Boxster just as much, why pay the extra $50K? I also considered a 996 carbrio which would have closed the price differance with the 987, but I have never owned a used car and I didn't want a Porsche to be my first.

In my case it is getting to be more and more difficult to find opportunities to push my car hard. Even in the country there are more and more cars, and to make matters worse traffic law enforcement has increased dramatically in the last ten years. My local government has discovered that it's a great way to increase revenue without raising taxes. I suppose it's just a matter of time before speed cameras are installed since surrounding jurisdictions already have them and they are boasting about how effective they are, i.e., how much revenue they are taking in. Moreover, with the ever increasing price of oil, I feel as though I'm being responsible by driving a car that gets great gas mileage. One of my neighbors bought a hybrid, and I really surprised him when I told him that I was getting around 27 MPG in my Porsche. He was only averaging 34 MPG since he does mostly highway driving. Hybrids do best in the city since they can operate off of their batteries in the city.

So it's not always the case of buying the best car that you can afford.
Old 07-08-2007 | 01:40 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my question...I will post again when I get the car..Cheers
Old 07-08-2007 | 01:44 PM
Duffs4
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast1
No offense, but it seems to me that you may be a little insecure. I never let the opinions of others influence my car buying decision. If my friends like my car that's great, and if they don't TS.
Non taken. I get needled about the c2 as well, just thought 'the hairdresser' thing was a good one.
Old 07-08-2007 | 07:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duffs4
Non taken. I get needled about the c2 as well, just thought 'the hairdresser' thing was a good one.
Thanks Duffs4. I'm happy you took the post in the spirit in which it was written. When I owned my 993 I kept getting asked if it were true that all Porsche owners had small organs.
Old 07-08-2007 | 09:40 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

I'll throw in a few things not mentioned so far. The difference between a Boxster S and a Boxster is not very big....the difference between a 986 and 996 is HUGE. On a track, you may be able to really use the extra HP of teh S and the bigger brakes, but I had a 97 986 and on mountain roads, 986S's couldnt pull away from me. The cars are both VERY good....you feel in control and the handling is almost psychic...you think about it and its done...its that fast. The 996 though is a BEAST of a car. The extra hp and torque are WONDERFUL and in the right hands you will be faster than the 986. The 986 is EASIER to drive fast and is very forgiving up to a point. The 996 (and I am speaking of the C4 as thats what I have and drive hard) is VERY stable..much more stable than the 986. It fells like its on rails and in fact many C2 guys say a C4 isnt as fun to drive because well it feels too planted. Also if you ever get caught in the rain, or wet roads, the AWD system is a dream....My Boxster used to have the rear out ALL the time on canyon drives, but the 996 never gets out of step, and goes around the corners faster...The 996 also has a faster corner exit speed and you can get on the gas faster...the 986 allows you to go into corners deeper, yet you need to wait longer to get back on the gas....All in all both cars are a hoot to drive. For daily comfort the 996 winds hands down. Looks is a toss up, maybe a slight nod to the 996. Driving experience...both are good....I have to say that both cars I had did not have stock suspension....the Boxster had Eibach pro springs, and teh 996 has PSS9s....the ride of the 996 is WAY better than the Boxster...the Boxster felt like it was riding on bricks. Drive both, EXTENSIVELY...dont go on the around the block test drive....get an extended test drive in a 986 and a 996 and pick the one you like best.
Old 07-08-2007 | 09:43 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Man, get the 996.
Old 07-09-2007 | 12:37 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

I use the 996 as a daily and find myself using the backseat to transport items... the 996 interior feels a lot roomier than the boxster... I sat in a Cayman S and I thought the interior in that car was also kind of small... nice car though!
Old 07-09-2007 | 12:58 AM
nick49
Drifting

My wifes had her Boxster for 5 years and I've had my Carrera Cab of nearly 4. These are not our daily drivers, just toys. I like the Boxster but it ain't no 911.

Same argument I hear all the time...a guy wants a Harley, so he buys a Sportster, has it for a week, proud a hell, his lifelong dream is finally fullfilled. Then he goes to the bar on a Saturday night with the Bros and when he leaves he can't help but to hang his head in shame... he bought a girls bike. From this point on he cant' wait to get a REAL Harley, a guys bike.

Maybe a little over dramatic, but there is a lot of truth in that. I know a lot of guys with Boxsters and they all say the same thing...the 911 was so much more money, the Boxster has a lot of the same parts and is a lot cheaper, the Boxster handles better, the Boxster is better looking, the Boxster is mid engined like the Carrera GT. These guys are trying to justify to themselves why they cheapened out in my opinion.

My wife sincerely thinks her Boxster is better looking than my Carrera but admits my car is a lot more comfortable and better for traveling.
Old 07-09-2007 | 07:28 AM
fast1
Race Car

I don't want to be confrontational, especially over a subject like this one where I believe both cars are exceptional, but I find it intriguing that so many of you are influenced by stereotypes, i.e., the Boxster is a good car but I'm not going to buy one because it is a girl's car. I can understand it when a teenager is easily influenced by what others think, but my assumption is that you all are mature enough that you wouldn't let a stereotype influence you.

On the other hand if someone's ego is frail enough where he is concerned about how he will be perceived based on the car he drives, I suppose it's best to acknowledge that fact and chose your car accordingly. Be careful however, since another stereotype is that anyone who owns a 911 has a small ***** and is trying to compensate by driving a "masculine car."

Another stereotype is that a Porsche is nothing but an overpriced VW. I get allergy shots on a regular basis, and I had that response from my allergist. Initially I thought that he was joking, but after a couple of minutes it became apparent that he was serious. I suppose that his perception resulted from the Porsche /VW joint effort on the 914 or maybe because Porsche is a major shareholder of VW. It is such a ridiculous perception, just like the others, that I thought it was pointless to attempt to educate him.

Bottom line , all I'm suggesting is that a car buying decision should be made based on what your driving needs are and which car best meets those needs, and not on stereotypes. I agree that the 986 has some comfort and aesthetic issues, but Porsche addressed those concerns with the release of the 987. I believe that anyone who test drives a 996 and 987 will have a tough time making a choice between them since they both are outstanding cars.
Old 07-09-2007 | 10:07 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

From my limited experience with the Boxster (non-S) when I had it for a few days as a loner car was enough for me not to want one.

Having driving 911's C4's daily since my 2001 I have become used to the handling characteristics of the car so I'll use that as a disclaimer.

Turns that I would take in my C4 effortlessly scared the **** out of me in the boxster I felt it could let loose (and did once) and recovery was scary at best.

Just my experience.
Old 07-09-2007 | 12:07 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Fast1....no offense....but you wouldn't be driving a Boxster or any other Porsche if you weren't into how you appear by driving it. There are loads of other cars that have similar performance, everyone knows that, and I think most would agree with my next statement.

You drive Porsches because you love them....just like most of us. While I cherish the feel and history of these cars, it is nice that there is some status in ownership. Of course that is not solely why I own these cars, but it is a nice plus. Will I go to a Miata down the road?.....probably not, but they are fantastic cars too, along with the 350Z, G35 Coupe, etc.

Again, just being real here.

J
Old 07-09-2007 | 12:11 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

totally JBR

Quick Reply: 996 vs Boxster S