Sponsored by:

What Brake Pad Options ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:32 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What Brake Pad Options ???

I have a stock C4S brake system, however I would like to upgrade to a better pad. I do 1 or 2 DE's per year & my goal is to remove the occasional brake squeek, improve stopping distance and reduce the amount of brake dust. I would love to hear from other Rennlisters ideas and what has worked for them. Lastly, does anyone know if a carbon or ceramic pad is an option. Thanks Todd
Old 07-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got bad news for you. The stock pads are about as squeek free as you are going to find.

Higher performance pads are more likely (not less likely) to squeek in my experience.

FWIW, I have had good experience with Pagid Orange pads. They wear much better at DE's than the stock pads. They are much more resistant to heat. Additionally, they are not too agressive on rotors and have pretty good cold stopping power for street driving.

However, they will occasionally "squeek".
Old 07-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I tried to find the one-size-fits-all pad as well. I never could find a squeek free, high temp pad. BHP was the closest, but still not silent. What I do now is change out to Pagid yellow (RS19) before a DE. It's really pretty quick 'cause I don't bother putting the pad vibration dampers back on.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:35 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you need to stick with stock. If you want better braking performance, prepare to deal with some noise. I typically run Porsche Sport pads from March through September. As long as the air temp is above 70, they stay pretty quiet. Below 60 and you will need ear plugs. They dust similar to the stock pads, but wear faster on the track. They are probably the best compromise pad if you are not going to swap out at the track.

I run a lot more track events though (about once a month), so I am willing on living with some of the noise. I am a little surprised by your inquiry as you only do 2 events a year. I would guess you are probably just a Green or Blue...which means you are not even up to the level as a driver where you have maxed out use of the stock brakes and need to upgrade.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 268 Posts

In my experience, Porterfield R4S are silent and are OK for a Green/Blue DE driver. Better than a stock pad and less expensive if I remember right. A more experience track driver will overheat them in just a couple of laps however.

I also used an anti-squeel compound on the backing plates as a precaution. About 2 bucks at an auto parts store versus the anti-vibration Porsche discs. I hate the discs because it can make pad removal difficult.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Check this thread out:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/353958-brake-pads.html

Quick Reply: What Brake Pad Options ???