Sponsored by:

K&N Filter oil spray?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:59 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts
Default K&N Filter oil spray?

I inherited a K&N filter and have to clean it this weekend. I read here over oiling it may cause MAF sensor failure but aside from replacing it with EVO filter there was no way around the issue. For the people who is still using K&N filter, can you help me out?

What is everyone's take and method on cleaning and respraying oil? I want to make sure it has enough oil at the end to do its job but not soaking the filter and destroying the MAF sensor.

TIA.

Chao
Old 06-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

First question is "does it need to be reoiled?"

K&N states 30 - 50K between cleaning.

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#20

Inspect it, but I'm guessing that you've not done that kind of milage and an oiling will just expose you to risk when you don't need it.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to re-oil it everytime you clean it. I normally clean the K&N filters on all my vehicles when I change the oil every 3000 miles. For the 996 and my SC, I clean and re-oil them every 3000 miles. If I wait and let the filter get more dirty, I can notice a loss in performance. I have cleaned and re-oiled the filter on my 996 3 times and never had a problem.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Every 3000 miles is serious overkill for cleaning, unless you're living in a very very dusty environment... or taking your Porsche off-road.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:53 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Have you ever seen a K&N filter that wasn't cleaned in 15K miles? Look at one at 6K. It is so clogged with dirt and debris you actaully get a significant loss in performance. You don't notice the loss as it happens slowly over time, but as soon as you clean and oil the filter the car all of a sudden wakes up and feels a lot stronger. I have the filters and systems on my cars to improve performance and I'll continue to follow my normal maintenance to keep it.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:40 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Have you ever seen a K&N filter that wasn't cleaned in 15K miles? Look at one at 6K. It is so clogged with dirt and debris you actaully get a significant loss in performance. You don't notice the loss as it happens slowly over time, but as soon as you clean and oil the filter the car all of a sudden wakes up and feels a lot stronger. I have the filters and systems on my cars to improve performance and I'll continue to follow my normal maintenance to keep it.
Actually this is not accurate at all. I actually had a car dynoed with a brand new filter from K&N and replaced the filter with a "dirty" one...(about 20,000 miles worth). Even though the "dirty" pull was done after the car was already warm, the car actually made 0.9 more hp to be exact...This was done on an 01 S2000 by the way...
Old 06-30-2007, 04:04 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just follow the directions then let it sit for a few hours or overnight to ensure all the excess oil has drained.

Originally Posted by chsu74
I inherited a K&N filter and have to clean it this weekend. I read here over oiling it may cause MAF sensor failure but aside from replacing it with EVO filter there was no way around the issue. For the people who is still using K&N filter, can you help me out?

What is everyone's take and method on cleaning and respraying oil? I want to make sure it has enough oil at the end to do its job but not soaking the filter and destroying the MAF sensor.

TIA.

Chao
Old 06-30-2007, 04:05 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

OK. For the sake of having an educated discussion, I am attaching my uncleaned filter and a picture from the K&N website. Pls comment as to if I should clean it.
Attached Images   
Old 06-30-2007, 04:06 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yeah back in the day K&N used to claim "the dirtier the better". I don't know if that's actually true though.

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Actually this is not accurate at all. I actually had a car dynoed with a brand new filter from K&N and replaced the filter with a "dirty" one...(about 20,000 miles worth). Even though the "dirty" pull was done after the car was already warm, the car actually made 0.9 more hp to be exact...This was done on an 01 S2000 by the way...
Old 06-30-2007, 04:07 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Clean it.

OK. For the sake of having an educated discussion, I am attaching my uncleaned filter and a picture from the K&N website. Pls comment as to if I should clean it.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:39 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I was told by the shop that the oil is to trap more dust particles that the dry filter cannot pick up. Guess it is just extra trapping...
Old 06-30-2007, 04:56 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

f&ck!!!!! That car has been driven for days through a dust storm!!!!!!!!! don't clean it....REPLACE IT!
Old 06-30-2007, 06:12 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

You have a point there....
Old 06-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TAILWAG

Thanks Tailwag - 02 Carrera was being a little obsessive in his cleaning. It was good to have data to show that it was unnecessary.

It made no sense to have K&N recommending cleaning every 30-50K miles and having a user insist in cleaning every 3-6K. That sort of deviation from manufacturers recommendations would classify as defective product.

I know we're all a little obsessive about our cars, but sometimes you can really go a little too far.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Your filter needs cleaning. I have been doing this for years and just don't over apply the oil. The instructions say to cover the entire filter but remember that the oil will migrate over the entire filter as it sits for a while. So start with covering about 70% of the filter area and then I let mine sit over night to see if it really does need any more. Follow up as needed then and you are ready to go. Never had a MAF problem with this technique.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter oil spray?