Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

4 wheel alignment specs recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Jonas007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel alignment specs recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for what the alignment settings should be if doing custom settings?

Or is it best to just stick with what the OEM says?

I obviously don't want my tires to wear out super fast, but any handling improvements would also be nice.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:49 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

I suggest you stick with a Porsche suggested alignment. Here are the specs for their various upgrade suspensions. If you do a search you will find all this information has already been posted. Welcome aboard.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you looking to do?

- Just street driving?
- Light track and street driving?
- Setup for track, tolerant on the street?

Tire wear is all relative to your driving style as also your alignment should be.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These specs are really wide, and a good shop will be able to set you up with a selection, still within the factory recommended, to match your driving.
I posted my C4 alignment numbers a while ago for what they called Aggresive street. I was wearing my fronts badly on the outside shoulder... perhaps it was the AutoCross ??
Old 06-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Jonas007
Instructor

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
What are you looking to do?

- Just street driving?
- Light track and street driving?
- Setup for track, tolerant on the street?

Tire wear is all relative to your driving style as also your alignment should be.
Lets say the middle one. Basically I'd rarely track it, but want it to feel like a track car while on the street.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

I suggest the x74 settings. I have been running them for 2 months and they work very well on the street. I seem to be getting pretty even tire wear the car handles well and tracks straight. I am however running the x74 suspension too.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Diablo99
Advanced

I read somewhere that bthe standard GT3 settings worl well for road use.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jonas007
Lets say the middle one. Basically I'd rarely track it, but want it to feel like a track car while on the street.
The typical performance track/strip setup is -.7 to -.8 in front (almost maxed out without camber plates or GT3 control arms), -1.5 out back and stock toe with a stock suspension. Pretty much most of the shops that do an alignment and have their "special" settings, use this range. It runs pretty good with street tires and isn't too agressive on tire wear.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did 0.9 front and 2.0 rears (customalignment in Mountainview)
Will see how much tire that eats ...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:27 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Tire wear isn't the issue, it is grip and balance. It sounds like you basically had them max out the camber front and rear with a stock suspension. There is a problem with this in that you have a lot more adjustment out back than up front. So this results in more grip in back than in front and increased understeer. This becomes an immediate problem...unless you like understeer. To stay closer to neutral you should only have about a -.5 higher camber out back than up front if you are running a stock suspension. -2 out back is too much for just running street tires. If you are running MPSCs, it is a different story. With MPSCs, you must run over -1.5 or they won't turn-in, grip well and you will just run the outer edges off. I run -1.9 out back, but my car is set up for MPSCs. I also run GT3 control arms to get around the camber limits up front. With MPSCs, there are dead even and with my pressures set correctly I get only a 3 degree variance with the pyrometer across the tire.

The same settings don't work with my street S03s or Corsas. With Corsas, which have similar grip to MPSCs, I actually run 10 degrees hotter on the inside than the outside. In fact, I wore one out on the inside edge from too much camber. I do also get camber wear with my S03s, but I just remount them flipped to balance out the wear. With street tires you just don't have enough grip to start with to use high camber. The sidewall never rolls as far and the outer edge never heats up as much.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:53 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct, I have standard suspension.
I run MPS2. It will be interesting to see what understeer I get now.

Quick Reply: 4 wheel alignment specs recommendations?