Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Global Motorcars SOLD the U-Boat (submarine)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:05 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you too Gant. I think it's the right thing to do. Imagine a new member comes on here, and exclaims excitedly, "Hey, I just got this cool perfect C4S...." We shouldn't knowingly let them get away doing the same **** to some other innocent Porsche enthusiast!

I was ripped off some years ago too, promises and all, in the end they were all lies.
Small time private dealer, tried to take the guy to court, the sheriff couldn't serve him coz' he freaking moved!!!
(He was 4 1/2 hrs drive away from me, which made things difficult)
Old 06-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

let's stop the bitch'ing and start collecting some facts and see what we can find out on the car... I sure would appreciate it if I got f'ed without knowing it and someone would bring it to my attention (low hanging fruit here for some jokes!).

So, anybody has a carfax account?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:54 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

I dont get the hostility either. Let them try and f*kin sue us. My carfax expired, someone please run WP0AA29932S624090

and its 25 bucks, not 15.

Last edited by dresler; 06-24-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:54 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.carfax.com/datacorrection...nsumerdcf.cfdo

What you should have done, once the dealer gave back your money, was contact the DMV in Texas and report that the car was a flood car being sold under a clean title, and give them copies of your documentation. At that point, they could have investigated and flagged the title on the car, which ultimately would come back on the Carfax. A call to the dealer licensing board would've been a smart move, too, if you were really concerned about them trying to stick someone else with the car, especially when someone called about it and the info wasn't disclosed.

I don't know that you can really do anything about it after the fact, but the link I just gave you allows you to send the info to Carfax, which they might or might not use. And it won't even cost you the $15.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Gant, any updates?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:02 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As of today (7/10) Carfax shows the last titling operation to be in Colorado, 12/07/2006. Does Gant live in CO? No, MO. Hmmmm.

On the Carfax report, it shows two customer comments on the car (gee, I wonder who did that? ;-) ) that say it is a flood car. But you've got to look carefully to see the link on the main page.

Personally, I would be really, really careful about any comments made on a public forum like this. No one needs a lawsuit.

Michael
Old 07-10-2007, 03:07 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One other thing: It is a known fact that Carfax cannot and does not catch every problem with a car. See this report on a lawsuit settlement: http://tinyurl.com/2t6qtu

Note please that Texas is one of the states singled-out for being a problem. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy a car titled in Texas, I'm just saying that in the past, they (the state) has not reported all of car history to Carfax.

And for some reason, there are a lot of exotic/highline cars for sale in Texas on eBay.

Michael
Old 07-10-2007, 03:26 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

MJ, thanks SO much for checking that out. Remember, I NEVER titled the car. So, lets keep this thread alive and keep our eye on it.

You guys are great!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Note please that Texas is one of the states singled-out for being a problem. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy a car titled in Texas, I'm just saying that in the past, they (the state) has not reported all of car history to Carfax.
Not that it matters, but I think the reason Texas has been considered a problem is that Texas has a larger amount of flooded cars than most other areas. The percentage of REPORTED flooded cars to the total number of flooded cars is probably about the same as any other state.

Good luck Gant. I hate hearing of people getting screwed and, although it might have been handled differently per other's suggestions, it wasn't and that's history. I applaud you for trying to keep anyone else from being screwed, whether it is trying to just be noble or just trying to get revenge.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:49 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJBird993
One other thing: It is a known fact that Carfax cannot and does not catch every problem with a car. See this report on a lawsuit settlement: http://tinyurl.com/2t6qtu

And for some reason, there are a lot of exotic/highline cars for sale in Texas on eBay.

Michael
I had an old '91 Nissan that got wrecked several years ago. When I sold it a year later there was nothing on the carfax (although it was visually obvious to the buyer that it had been hit).
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bpoteat
Not that it matters, but I think the reason Texas has been considered a problem is that Texas has a larger amount of flooded cars than most other areas. The percentage of REPORTED flooded cars to the total number of flooded cars is probably about the same as any other state.

Good luck Gant. I hate hearing of people getting screwed and, although it might have been handled differently per other's suggestions, it wasn't and that's history. I applaud you for trying to keep anyone else from being screwed, whether it is trying to just be noble or just trying to get revenge.
My intentions are pure, I promise you.

Thanks!
Gant
Old 07-10-2007, 05:06 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

File a report of your experience with the Texas Dept of Motor Vehicles so they can investigate. If these guys have done this before, or continue in the aberrant ways, the TDMV can pull their license. You may also consider contacting the DA of that county. The Consumer Fraud section deals with these types of issues.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd love to see these guys go down for what they did.

It's hard to sit by and watch them sell a flooded car without disclosure. What happened to Gant could have happened to any of us.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 AM
human911
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess who just Picked up this car in CA! Car runs great...
Old 10-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

How in the world did you manage to find this 6 year old thread? I guess it's had plenty of time to dry out.

Quick Reply: Global Motorcars SOLD the U-Boat (submarine)