Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Good Independant P-car shop in Silicon Valley, CA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007 | 08:00 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Default Good Independant P-car shop in Silicon Valley, CA?

OK, so I did my 3.6L MKII mod a while back. Been travelling a lot and had my yard completely re-landscaped which has kept me busy. I'm dying to put on my new mufflers and hear the car roar.

Does anyone here know of a good independant P-car mechanic that can put on the mufflers? This is a nice easy job to test out a new shop and develop a relationship for future visits. Needs to be somewhere in the South Bay, preferably in San Jose.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-19-2007 | 08:13 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
OK, so I did my 3.6L MKII mod a while back. Been travelling a lot and had my yard completely re-landscaped which has kept me busy. I'm dying to put on my new mufflers and hear the car roar.

Does anyone here know of a good independant P-car mechanic that can put on the mufflers? This is a nice easy job to test out a new shop and develop a relationship for future visits. Needs to be somewhere in the South Bay, preferably in San Jose.

I am relatively new to the Porsche world yet I have already started creating a relationship with Shark Werks in Fremont Shark Werks (between 880 and 680 of Durham so not far away from you). At this moment I have not had any work done but I am taking my car to them this Friday for some work. I did however stop by there yesterday and spoke to Alex for a while and determined that this is a place I would do business with, plus he is a fellow Brit I did this visit to see the shop first before I give them the keys to my car, plus hear what they had to say and listen to there guidance.

IMO if you are looking for a place to create a relationship with that works only on Porsche's and loves what they do, then I recommend Shark Werks, I have only heard positive things about them.

When you call them, tell them that Steven the fellow Brit with the SY 996 recommended them to you.

Old 06-19-2007 | 08:48 PM
discoganya
Banned

Check out

http://www.pca-ggr.org/localmech.cgi

C.T. Automotive Porsche Repair
335 E McGlincey Ln
Campbell, CA 95008
(408) 377-3885

is my mechanic. First class guys. A+ recommendation for them.
Old 06-19-2007 | 08:54 PM
yizzung
Advanced

When you say Silicon Valley, I presume you mean Peninsula/South Bay. I just had an alignment and a 30k service with European Auto Works in Mountain View. Affordable and fair. Don't know if they are "mod" guys...

I've heard good things about:
http://www.realmeangarage.com/ (sunnyvale)
http://www.t-dperformance.com/ (campbell)
Old 06-19-2007 | 08:56 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by discoganya
Check out

http://www.pca-ggr.org/localmech.cgi

C.T. Automotive Porsche Repair
335 E McGlincey Ln
Campbell, CA 95008
(408) 377-3885

is my mechanic. First class guys. A+ recommendation for them.
Great link and thanks for sharing
Old 06-19-2007 | 09:03 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Info from another Brit :-)

Modderman in Mtn View does all my yearly service
Reitmers Werkstad in Los Altos did the Tech inspect (PCA approved inspection place)

But muffler install is a piece of cake as a DIY
Old 06-19-2007 | 09:06 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Info from another Brit :-)

Modderman in Mtn View does all my yearly service
Reitmers Werkstad in Los Altos did the Tech inspect (PCA approved inspection place)

But muffler install is a piece of cake as a DIY
Old 06-19-2007 | 10:13 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Actually, muffler install is something that just about any GOOD muffler shop should be able to do for you. All you're really doing is taking out three bolts, replacing the mufflers, and realigning the exhaust tips. I don't see that this is something that should take someone with a PhD in auto mechanics to do.

Aside from the V clamps, the hardest part about it is aligning the exhaust tips so they look equal.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 06-20-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2007 | 02:38 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the feed-back.

Chuck, I agree with you. Normally I would do this myself but I figured this was a nice and easy job for finding some mechanic that I can trust with other possible issues in the future.

I have a great mechanic for my other cars. Honest and reasonably priced but his shop is not the kind of place where I would let me baby stay over night.

Checked with one high end shop this weekend who claimed that it would take 2-3 hours of labor to change the mufflers. Didn't sound reasonable knowing tha some people on Rennlist claim to be able to do it in their home garage in 20-30 minutes.
Old 06-20-2007 | 07:39 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks everyone for the feed-back.

Chuck, I agree with you. Normally I would do this myself but I figured this was a nice and easy job for finding some mechanic that I can trust with other possible issues in the future.

I have a great mechanic for my other cars. Honest and reasonably priced but his shop is not the kind of place where I would let me baby stay over night.

Checked with one high end shop this weekend who claimed that it would take 2-3 hours of labor to change the mufflers. Didn't sound reasonable knowing tha some people on Rennlist claim to be able to do it in their home garage in 20-30 minutes.
I've done the muffler swap twice and, IMO, without a lift or air tools 20 - 30 minutes is almost impossible. I think it would take a good shop about 1 hour to do.
Old 06-20-2007 | 01:10 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

I think i did mine in about 40-minutes per side.

Most of that was trying to get those #$%^&** tip clamps off and back on again. I still have the scars from slipped screwdrivers :-)
Old 06-21-2007 | 01:20 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Most of the shops will use their hourly shop rate manual....and this job should not take any more than one hour....anything more than that and they're padding the bill....or they have a new employee getting OJT on your car.
Old 06-21-2007 | 03:12 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
..anything more than that and they're padding the bill....or they have a new employee getting OJT on your car.
That's what I thought when they told me 2-3 hours.

I'll start calling some of the shops you guys recomended tomorrow. It's about time I put those MkII mufflers on my car.
Old 06-21-2007 | 01:27 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

There are like 100 porsche shops in Campbell. Why? I don't know.
I've used CT Automotive and they are good. I've also heard good things about Import Connection right in downtown Campbell. Their location is good because you would have a lot of choices for lunch while you wait, all in walking distance.
Andy
Old 06-21-2007 | 01:38 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I used Dave Modderman. Super cool guy.

Quick Reply: Good Independant P-car shop in Silicon Valley, CA?