Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How much squeaking is normal in city traffic with Pagid Orange brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:58 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much squeaking is normal in city traffic with Pagid Orange brake pads?

I changed my OEM pads to Pagid Orange some weeks ago as my last set of OEM pads did only last for about 6k miles street driving and 4 DE events.

Now I experience squeaking whenever I approach a traffic light.

As harder as I push the brake, the less they squeak. I know that some squeaking is normal and I know that I've not renewed all anti-squeaking plates when I changed the pads so I wonder if I might need to redo some of the work?

I have not done any DE event since I changed the pads (drove about 250 miles in total with the new pads). Will a lot of hard braking reduce the squeaking over time?

Thanks, Harold
Old 06-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
I have not done any DE event since I changed the pads (drove about 250 miles in total with the new pads). Will a lot of hard braking reduce the squeaking over time?
Not in my experience. They'll generally squeal when they're cold, which in street use is most of the time.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same problem when I did my front brakes. I tried to reuse the old anti-squeal plates. It sounded like a school bus every time I stopped. Hopefully, if you replace the anti-squeal plates, that will solve your problem. They have adhesive on them that secures them to the pads. Once you remove them from the old pads, the adhesive is shot. I tried anti-squeal goo....it only made things worse.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pagid Orange won't heat up enough in city driving - they'll squeal no matter what, even with the anti-squeal backing.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:32 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It doesn't matter if they heat up or not. They don't squeal at the track because thats where you break hard. Break hard enough on the street and the squeal will go away for a short while, then break hard again. The noise is the glazing your doing by not breaking hard, thus they are really just for the track. I use them all the time and consider the squeal a part of having an almost track car. When I'm not lazy I change the pads for the street. by the way Pagid says that RS 19 yellow pads are the best now for track with the 996/997. I assume the same squeal "problem" will be there with the yellow too. I haven't tried them yet.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

I put Pagid RS 19 (yellows) on all four corners of my '99 996. Someone told me the Pagid yellows were the same material as the factory GT3 pad, but it turned out that wasn't true. The supplier, who used yellows himself, said that they were much quieter pad than the oranges on the street. Initially I drove a couple of days on the street and I was quite dissappointed that they were consistently noisy, especially since I was meticulous about using all the factory anti-squeal shims. But then I took the car to the track and got the brakes REALLY hot - meaning ALL the visible yellow paint including the back of the backing plates is now scorched and dark brown, and the wear sensors were melted out of all 4 front pads. (I know, Pagid track pads don't have a provision for wear sensors, but thinking I was smarter than anyone else I drilled holes and inserted the factory sensors ... and now I've learned my lesson, taken the sensors out, and bypassed the circuit). In any event, the pads were exceptional at the track and for the last 400 kilometers or so since returning from the track they have been as quiet as any street pad. Don't know how long that will last ...
Old 06-16-2007, 10:42 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies!

In any event, the pads were exceptional at the track and for the last 400 kilometers or so since returning from the track they have been as quiet as any street pad. Don't know how long that will last ...
This is actually what I'd expect (great on the track and when "broken in" less noise on the street.

Let's see how the noise on the street will develop after my next DE event.

Thanks, Harold

Quick Reply: How much squeaking is normal in city traffic with Pagid Orange brake pads?