Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Jacks, Stands, and an Engine Protection Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 381 Posts

1999, where is the front cross member of which you speak (I've always jacked from the center nub behind the oil pan...guess I'll stop doing that!). Thanks.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Again, so that we have a reference, here's is the post from Gary over on Renntech:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...hl=jack+stands
Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
NEVER lift the car by the engine unless you want to encourage your motor mounts to leak. Funny how many spend the money and time putting a protection plate on to protect the engine bottom, yet use it as a jacking point.
Old wives tale. lifting by the engine is an approved porsche technique. Nothing wrong with it at all. The weight of the car is on the rear motor mounts with the car is on the ground. There is no additional weight on the mounts when the car is lifted by the engine.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default And Finally

If you have a rear skid plate on your engine, you can lift for exactly the same place where you lift on the engine without the plate. The skid plate pretty much hugs the engine there. If you are paranoid about bending the plate, cut a piece of 2x4 to fit against the skid plate vertical lip and lift from there.

My neighbor has a skid plate on his engine, and that is how we lift his car. I guess I will need to amend my DIY to have pictures of lifting with the skid plate.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
There is no additional weight on the mounts when the car is lifted by the engine.
That's not exactly right, because the mounts are designed to suspend the engine from the car, not support the weight of the car (less engine) when the rear of the car is lifted using the engine.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:18 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The engine carrier DOES hang from the mounts.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Are posts disappearing in this thread???
Old 06-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Yeah, alot of people do that when they get caught posting incorrect "facts".
That's...just hilarious. Sorta.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:40 AM
munro86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could we please have a final definitive answer about using that stub at back as a lifting point? Is it ok to lift this way and leave the jack while placing the jack stands under the jacking points? If you lift the engine this way, aren't you actually taking weight off the mounts and transferring to the jack momentarily?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

I'm leaning Gary's way: the engine supports surely need to be strong enough to support the engine while the car is bouncing around and over bumps in the road at high speed. It follows that the supports must be able to support the car. Indeed, with some motorycle designs, the engine itself is a stressed member of the frame to both lighten the bike and add rigidity. On others, it hangs below the frame. Either way, the supports have to be 'tough'. From my personal experience, lifting from the point that Gary recommended was DAMN sturdy. It seems the only other alternative (as I'm shy of using wood blocks of which tires could conceivably roll), is to use the standard rear jack points for the jack and then place jack stands on the rear axle.

But, I guess the best way to resolve this is to RTFM so I'll look into it this evening or tomorrow and report back if there is anything there.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:52 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Orient Express
My neighbor has a skid plate on his engine, and that is how we lift his car. I guess I will need to amend my DIY to have pictures of lifting with the skid plate.
I love that you would even think to do this; you're a hero among men!

Quick Reply: Jacks, Stands, and an Engine Protection Plate?