996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Group Buy - Aluminum Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Okay, thanks to everyone who has posted their pedal DIYs so far.

A BIG thank you to cdodkin. His write-up was probably the most useful one I've seen posted.

Having said that, there are still a couple of things I wish I'd seen someone write, so I'll run through my experiences and try and emphasize the things that I've not seen others mention.

Things that you will need that didn't come with the pedals: 1x 1" #8 flat head phillips screw (for the dead pedal). 3x 1" #6 allen type SS machine screws. 6x 3/4" #6 allen type SS machine screws. Locking washers - big help in tightening and keeping the nuts tight). #6 SS nuts

I did use the right angle drill adaptor. I'm not sure I could have easily done the job by myself without it... you would need someone to hold the pedals down to get the right drilling angle. Even with the adaptor it was tricky to get the right drilling angle.

i) remove rubber grips from brake and clutch pedals.
ii) remove screw from dead pedal
iii) Screw aluminum deadpedal over existing inserting 1" #6 screw into existing hole. Drill holes through existing rubber and secure dead pedal using supplied self tapping screws.
iv) Align gas pedal over existing and clamp in place with a C-clamp (put tape over your C-clamp so as not to scratch your aluminum). Adjust until level. The pedal does not cover the existing pedal, so adjust until you're happy with the positioning. (I used the spacing at the bottom of the existing gas pedal to guide me on alignment.
v) Drill a pilot hole with a 7/64 bit. Remove clamped pedal and drill full size holes with a 9/64 bit.
vi) fix gas pedal in place using the 1" #6 screws.
vii) cover clutch and gas pedal with masking tape.
viii) using a tailor's measuring tape to find and mark the center of each pedal. Mark a spot 5mm or so up from the bottom of the pedal - this will be where your bottom screw will go.
ix) Drill the bottom hole in each pedal (drill a pilot hole first).
x) Fix the brake pedal in place with the bottom screw and align until the Porsche script is straight. I used a pencil to mark the holes through the screw holes.
xi) Mark and drill the upper holes - push down on the pedal while drilling to ensure that you get the correct angle on the hole - otherwise you will have to enlarge the holes with the drill.
xii) Remove masking tape and install brake pedal.
xiii) Install clutch pedal using previously drilled bottom hole.
xiv) Align until the clutch pedal is straight and the Porsche script in line with the brake pedal. You may need to enlarge the bottom hole upwards with the drill to fine tune the lateral positioning (because the brake and clutch pedal are not perfectly aligned). Mark the upper holes with a pencil.
xv) Drill, remove masking tape, and install pedal.

Now it all sounds easy. In fact, the dead pedal and gas pedal are quite easy once you realize that the dead pedal needs no alignment and the gas pedal does not cover the existing pedal so needs to be adjusted to your preference.

To me the real bugger was getting the aligment of the bottom holes. I probably spent 90 minutes trying to find the best way to get the bottom hole centered on the pedal - the measuring tape seemed to work the best. Measure in 3 places for the center of the pedal - draw a center line, then measure 5mm up from the bottom to find the place to drill.

One piece of advice I would give is not to drill snug holes. In fact, if I were to do this over I would probably drill 9/64" holes and use the #4 screws to give some wiggle room for adjustment. Having "precision" holes means that if you have no wiggle room, then you end up drilling again. I ended up drilling at least 2 holes twice and enlarging the upper holes on the clutch pedal in order to get the alignment to my liking.

Being a little OCD there was more than my share of measuring 10 times and drilling twice.

I'll add more later as I think of it. Good luck to those that are doing this tomorrow. I'll try to be around to answer questions.

Here are my pics going from stock to aluminum pedals.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 04-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=Dutchie in NC]
Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I bought a set of #6 machine bolts (both 1" and 3/4" sizes with flat hex fittings), nuts and locking washers to go with them. I decided against buying black, as I figured that the paint would eventually come off.
QUOTE]

are these 6mm bolts?

No, if you go to home depot you'll see the screws sized by number - #6 is the type and "1 is the length.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took about 75 mins... pain in the a!#, but well worth it!

I need AC in my garage!
Attached Images   
Old 06-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Excellent! Glad you got everything done okay. Hopefully I wrote something that helped make life easier and get the job done faster.

I don't think mine too very long to do, but it took a long while to figure out some of the details of how to do it. 4 hours of time taken for a smaller amount of time to actually get the job done. Certainly a pain to do.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:40 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Startin' to sound like the $50 I spent to have 'em installed was the way to go.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Startin' to sound like the $50 I spent to have 'em installed was the way to go.
Yeah, I agree. If I knew a place that would have quickly done it for my for $50, then I would have gone with it - the time I spent was worth more than $50
Old 06-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Yeah, I agree. If I knew a place that would have quickly done it for my for $50, then I would have gone with it - the time I spent was worth more than $50
Don't disagree, but it's fun working on your own car... it's kind of a good way for me to relax and get away from work...
Old 06-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Don't disagree, but it's fun working on your own car... it's kind of a good way for me to relax and get away from work...
I agree with you there. I left work early so that I could work on hte car in peace. There was some satisfaction in doing it myself.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:56 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done! Honestly, it took me more than 1 hour but I like the result. The fit of the gas-pedal is not perfect; it has a different shape than the original pedal. I tried to put gas and brake closer to each other, so I can reach the gas-pedal better when I heel and toe. Here's a picture of my Saturday night job.
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
Done! Honestly, it took me more than 1 hour but I like the result. The fit of the gas-pedal is not perfect; it has a different shape than the original pedal. I tried to put gas and brake closer to each other, so I can reach the gas-pedal better when I heel and toe. Here's a picture of my Saturday night job.
Looks awesome in your neat interior! How do you like the feel, etc?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:19 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the DIY posts, they are extremely helpful (esp. cdodkin and wellardmac)! I knew if I just waited an extra week to do the install (did my brake pads this weekend instead) there would be some excellent posts to help with the pedal installation. Thanks also to Dutchie for setting up the group buy. I now have a plan for next weekend.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:12 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyK
Looks awesome in your neat interior! How do you like the feel, etc?
Thanks Andy! I like the feel although it's not too different. I took the car out this morning to go to a P car meet in Rockville, MD, so I drove about 40 miles. There's not too much of a difference; maybe because I did wear my Piloti driving shoes with a good rubber sole. I think the new pedals are a little less slippery than the stock ones. It's definitely easier to heel and toe now as the brake pedal is larger and closer to the gas. I did also put the gas more left as it would have been foreseen which I like. However, in my opinion the gain in terms of looks seems to be larger than the change in feel.

I'm now almost where I like to be with my interior mods so I'll concentrate more on the technical stuff going forward. Next project are GT3 sway bars. Of course GT3 seats would be cool but I hesitate a little to spend $3k in one go.

Here's a shot of my interior. And this is what I've done to date:
- 3-spoke steering wheel (from Gerd @ Carnewal)
- B&M short shifter (from Eric @ Bumperplugs with Techart shift-**** from Gerd @ Carnwal)
- Alu gauge rings (ebay)
- GT3 center console delete kit (Suncoast Porsche)
- Black Lloyds floor mats (ebay)
- Alu pedals (Dutchie's group buy )
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I drove the car this afternoon and could tell that I gained at least 5 hp.

DFC - good luck with the install! Be patience and allow plenty of time and all will go smoothly.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:55 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Got My Aluminum Pedals Installed

Well, I got my pedals installed yesterday on the 4th. Just a couple of observations, the dead pedal was quite easy to install, undo the existing screw & replece the new pedal. I used extra long stainless steel screws to replace what was supplied. I simply used SS wood screws with the beveled head for the accelerator pedal. The fit was clean and tight. Lastly, I predrilled the bottom holes for the clutch & brake & secured them. I then used a carbide drill bit & simply drilled through the top four holes using the holes from the pedals as a guide. This allowed the bit to "bite" & not dance around on the surface. As long as you are careful/slow, there is no damage to the pedals at all...
The hardest part was securing the allen screws/washers to the backs of the pedals. I ended up using a hemostat to hold the nut in place while turning the screw. The whole job took just over an hour. See attached pics. Good luck to everyone who has yet to install theirs.

Last edited by viprklr; 04-10-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:06 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Just finished mine, and I am very happy with the results. My problem now is that my garage door broke, fell on and damaged my car, and is jammed shut, so I can't even go out for a drive

My other post on details of my trauma yesterday.
thread link

The job wasn't too bad, brake pedal was a pita, but my working conditions made this job miserable - a closed garage (which required more artificial light/heat) on a 90 degree day made it feel like 120 under the dash.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Group Buy - Aluminum Pedals