Sponsored by:

subwoofer cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:34 AM
rcronin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subwoofer cover removal

I have done some searches here and on other boards and have not found what I am looking for.
My car has the sub located between the passenger and driver. The cover is facing the passenger and at this time I would like to remove it but can't seem to get it off no matter how hard I pull on it. What's the secret here?
Are there fasteners somewhere that I am not seeing or are the clips just that tight?
I am in the middle of a stereo upgrade and this cover MUST come off but it won't budge.
Please explain to me how to get this piece off!!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Richie Iglar
Track Day

Post a picture. I assume this is an aftermarket sub??
Old 06-04-2007, 10:49 AM
rcronin
Advanced

Factory sub.
The previous owner ordered the High End Bose system and in the Targa, the sub is located on the passenger side of the console behind the CD tray and forward of the air bag sensor.
The carpeted cover is on there very tight and I can't get it off and wonder if there were hidden screws somewhere.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:36 AM
lfe
Instructor

Sub is in the same location on a 2002 Cab. I found one torx screw at the front of the sub (near your feet). But I also cannot find a fastener at the back of the sub (below your knees).
Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there are 2 screws one oin the front and pne at the back you have to pull the carpet back at the front egde of the sub, after the screws are out push down on the sub and pull it off
Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why are you removeing it
?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
lfe
Instructor

Assuming it is a typical bandpass box, I am hoping to add some fill to the ports, and eliminate some of the boominess. The rest of the system doesnt sound too bad. But the subwoofer (only bose could call a 4" woofer a subwoofer) has that typical Bose sound that makes my ears hurt.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

Originally Posted by lfe
Assuming it is a typical bandpass box, I am hoping to add some fill to the ports, and eliminate some of the boominess. The rest of the system doesnt sound too bad. But the subwoofer (only bose could call a 4" woofer a subwoofer) has that typical Bose sound that makes my ears hurt.
Could you explain further how this is done - what materials do you use and where do you put them? I have 03 C2 Cab with Bose and I've always thought it to be too "boomy". I didn't know there was anything that could be done to remedy this.

FWIW, the sub comes out easily once you find the 2 screws. It's easiest if you pop-off the center console side trim piece. I took it off at one point when I was thinking about whether to replace it but never followed-through.

Last edited by Macho Belly; 06-04-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:02 PM
lfe
Instructor

It all depends on the design. When I get it appart and if I am sucessful in making any changes to it, I will post results and pictures.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:39 PM
wdempsey
Track Day

lfe/rcronin,

Any updates? I was listening to the White Stripes this morning and the Bose subwoofer sounded terrible. I would love to replace if all goes well for you.

Have a great week.

Bill
Boise
Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM
lfe
Instructor

It turns out it is not a bandpass as I expected, but a simple bass reflex box. Much easier to modify without screwing things up.
It is a plastic enclosure with a wierd shaped oblong woofer.
I have done a little experimentation with lightly stuffing the box (This has the equivenlent effect of enlarging the box), and I have tryed a bit of port stuffing.
With both in, the boominess is gone, at the expense of volume level, I think I over stuffed the port.

I need to buy some more appropriate stuffing material, and some dynomat to try and dampen the enclosure.

From what I have done so far, I am pretty sure it will be possible to tame this beast, but it will be at the expense of some volume at lower frequencies. For me it is a worthwhile tradeoff.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM
rcronin
Advanced

I am suffering from not hearing or driving my car these last 2 weeks.
I wanted to save 1200.00 on installation and do this myself and working on it on/off I have realized that it would have been best to leave this to someone else. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed it but there is a lot of information that I didn't have and had to wait on to finish this off.
....and it still isn't finished!!!

I got the AVIC-Z2 into the dash, got the wires tucked away, got the seat back in, got the dash put together and all that. Got it to turn on and went through all the fancy buttons and thought I was golden.
But- the speakers don't work. I am at a loss.
I have a JL Audio 500/5 amp that I put in the car and for some reason it only runs the sub.
I think that I need to re-read the booklet and teach myself more about frequency settings, BP, HP, LP, and the other features that make this work as designed. I am thinking that I may need another power source to run the speakers in the intent to define the mids, highs, and lows the way I want them.
So close and yet so far away.
It has also been dry and rain free for these last 2 weeks and when I get this worked out it will likely rain and I won't be driving then either.
Crap.

Quick Reply: subwoofer cover removal