Sponsored by:

My car is "horny"

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:52 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My car is "horny"

I thought this was a 993 affliction, but it started affecting my 996 last week. Hit the brakes a little and the horn goes off. I guess I'll remove the fuse for now until I have time to take off the airbag. I really don't want to **** of some large people.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just happened to come across the thread on this fix over at Renntech the other day.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
I thought this was a 993 affliction, but it started affecting my 996 last week. Hit the brakes a little and the horn goes off. I guess I'll remove the fuse for now until I have time to take off the airbag. I really don't want to **** of some large people.
Where's Tim? Ok, I'll fill in. I'm sure a search will turn it up. Try horn, spring, tension in the 993 section. Same problem and solution. (The bushings on the old 996 4 spoke steering wheels get old and brittle.)

Or renntech. Here's a link you don't have to search http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...l=horn+bushing [tool pants posted pictures, so it's worth registering if you haven't]

Lastly, I think this was in the tech section of excellence this month as well.

Cheers!

-td

Beat you to the punch Tim
Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Ranger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some dabs of pliable silicon glue on the bushings will fix this right up.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by td873
Where's Tim? Ok, I'll fill in. I'm sure a search will turn it up. Try horn, spring, tension in the 993 section. Same problem and solution. (The bushings on the old 996 4 spoke steering wheels get old and brittle.)

Or renntech. Here's a link you don't have to search http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...l=horn+bushing [tool pants posted pictures, so it's worth registering if you haven't]

Lastly, I think this was in the tech section of excellence this month as well.

Cheers!

-td

Beat you to the punch Tim
Its the damn bushings. I have a 4 spoke steering wheel and the rubber bushings keeping a gap between the horn and the electrical contacts had lost their flexibility. I had gotten away with keeping a small tab of folded paper on the top gap till I repaired this at the dealership (!!!). Yeah, I was a newbie back then and got ripped by the dealership ($220 I recall).

Then I found renntech, rennlist and I saw the light !!

Funny title !
Old 06-04-2007, 06:22 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sids911
Its the damn bushings. I have a 4 spoke steering wheel and the rubber bushings keeping a gap between the horn and the electrical contacts had lost their flexibility. I had gotten away with keeping a small tab of folded paper on the top gap till I repaired this at the dealership (!!!). Yeah, I was a newbie back then and got ripped by the dealership ($220 I recall).

Then I found renntech, rennlist and I saw the light !!

Funny title !
Sid - did you at least get a "reach around" from the dealership while they were "giving you the business" (a.k.a. fixing your car)?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:59 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

I'm in the process of performing this repair and had some general preliminary concerns. Here's how I was going to proceed to remove the steering wheel. My concerns are directed towards the electronic end of this procedure:
1) Once I turn the wheel to access the torx bolts, I need to leave the key in the ignition but not turned on, correct? This keeps the air bag light from coming on?
2) Once I disconnect the negative cable from the battery and let the car charge down for 30 minutes, this keeps the air bag from actuating, correct?
The details from there are very easy to follow. Right now the business card in the horn area is working like a charm.
BTW, I'm doing this on my 1999 996. Masny thanks for the $200+ I'll save!! Definitely worth a donation to renntech!!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

To all who read this and are debating the DYI approach. I did it this weekend and using all the info available here, it was a breeze! And believe me you're hearing form the mechanically challanged here. I used the silicon glue method and the whole job would have been less than 30 minutes except for letting the glue harden.

Quick Reply: My car is "horny"