18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Are you happy with Warranty Direct?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 AM
hamilton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you happy with Warranty Direct?

I'm about to pull the trigger but I am still a little hesitant since I was burned when Warranty Gold went under.

thanks for your input.

Grant

Last edited by hamilton; 06-04-2007 at 01:00 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 AM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in this too. I also am shopping for a warrranty co.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

I have their warranty and they have been good to work with so far, but I have not had to make a claim yet.

I was kind of stuck with them because they were the only option in California. In fact I believe their services are not currently available in California for the time being.
andy
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel your pain...I decided to go with CWS which used to run ads with CarFax. Totally shady operation. Luckily I decided to go for installment payments instead of doing one lump sum.
I had to make a claim when I brought my car to Ray Catena here in NJ.
CWS refused a $100 bill for a simple parking brake switch. I decided to stop paying and they canceled the contract. cost me about $500. But on the brightside I've only had one repair more than $200 with the odometer just under 40K after 7 years.
Next time I buying a CPO'd car...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
gregroselli
Intermediate

+1, I called CWS for an estimate and they were the most shady, agressive salespeople i've ever come across. Once they give you a price they have a "no ringback" policy where if you don't accept the offer right there and give a deposit (w/ 30 days to cancel, which I assume would take about 4 hours on the phone) then you "lose your offer". They also called me back about 5 times after I told them i wasn't interested.

Looks like I should give Warranty Direct a call
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 PM
hamilton
Instructor

thanks for the responses. Hopefullly we can get a feew more people to chime in...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have spoken with a Mike at Warranty Direct a couple of times. They seem to be very helpful. I am fairly knowledge with contracts as I own an insurance agency and they were very good about comparing the "major item" policy with the "bumper to bumper" policy. The price is about double when comparing the two. One is basically on a "named peril" basis & the other is an all risk type policy. I felt comfortable in my discussions with them. Good Luck. Todd
Old 06-04-2007, 10:33 PM
kurtp
Advanced

I have looked expensively into extended warranties for my Porsche and have commented about my results in other Rennlist postings. However, I live in CA and there really aren't choices here unless you go through a dealer and they offer their own set of restrictions.

It appears the extended warranty industry is somewhat slimy, but Warranty Direct seems to have their ducks in a row, although not available in CA right now. This should be taken care of shortly, as they are simply waiting for CA to approve what they will charge the end customer. In my mind, if CA does business with them and they jump through all the hurdles that CA requires, they are legitimate. I know this may not be a good litmus test for some, but I am ready to make the jump when it is available. There are also several great comments about them in this forum, where they paid clams with minimal challenge.

Their competitors, even ones I was considering, can be very slimy. I have been contacted by at leat three of them that wanted me to sign up as if I lived in another state, so I could get coverage with them. Nice! I told each of them this didn't work for me, but they won't let go. The president of one has even contacted me asking me to reconsider. When I tell them that WD is what I am considering, they start their negative campaigning, saying that they are independently financed and not backed by a large insurance company. This may have some merit, but I discounted it for the CA reasons above and their (other companies) attempts to sign me up as if I lived in another state.

One things I am certain of is that I will get an exclusionary policy, meaning that rather than having a contract that details what is covered, the contract will mention the few items that aren't covered. This leaves much less wiggle room for any warranty company to say an item wasn't covered.

Search for other posts on this topic, but please keep this thread alive.

I have been looking at companies for over three weeks, reviewed contracts and spoken with many representatives. What I lack is direct claim experience, which I would be happy to never have. The peace of mind that would come with a legitimate policy would be great though.

Kurt
Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM
hamilton
Instructor

So a couple of people have checked the "maybe" box. Can you clairfy what made you feel that way?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Laura
Pro

GE Warranty is one of the best to work with from a repair facility's point of view. Coverage is very good, inspectors know their stuff, claims personnel work very efficiently and keep my customres happy.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 PM
kurtp
Advanced

Laura,

Do you know the limitations of the GE Warranty? Can I get it directly or would I have to use an authorized dealership with huge mark-up? I hadn't considered them, but will if they will work with me directly. My car is 2003 and has under 22K miles.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Are you happy with Warranty Direct?