996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Driving tip learned this morning

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone once asked Willie Nelson why he always wore tenny runners and not cowboy boots..

His reply was " I don't want to be mistaken for a trucker..."

These days I only wear my western boots for more formal functions, a form of "quiet" protest I guess.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carpundit
Cowboy boots are silly on anyone who isn't riding a horse.
As are bomber jackets on anyone who isn't a pilot. It's footwear, so wear 'em if ya like 'em.

We're not going to get into arguments about people buying sports cars who don't track them now, are we?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

We were at the track in April and Bobby Archer offered to drive my car to comment on the set up. I loaned him my suit, gloves, helmet and then said do you want my racing boots? No, I will just wear these...Cowboy boots! Went out and beat every other car on the track in my class and was passing faster cars also! Learned a valuable lesson, it's not the boots, it's the driver
Old 06-05-2007, 01:53 AM
bernocco930S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steven C.
We were at the track in April and Bobby Archer offered to drive my car to comment on the set up. I loaned him my suit, gloves, helmet and then said do you want my racing boots? No, I will just wear these...Cowboy boots! Went out and beat every other car on the track in my class and was passing faster cars also! Learned a valuable lesson, it's not the boots, it's the driver
Now here is a man (Steve C.) who gets it!

I have a few comments:

1) Some of you "easterners" are really proving what geeks you turely are.

2) There may be a lot of you "P Car" owners that are your own best fan and think you really have some driving talent, but some of the finest NASCAR drivers who ever graced the great tracks of the south wore boots. It wasn't until rules changes that some gave it up reluctantly.

3) If you can't drive fast in boots, maybe the boots are not the problem??

4) The difference between cowboy boots and engineer boots is that cowboy boots have **** ON them.

...... had my boots on this day until I had to jump in the car............
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

>>We're not going to get into arguments about people buying sports cars who don't track them now, are we? -Ucube<<

>>Some of you "easterners" are really proving what geeks you turely are. -bernocco930S<<

That was an unexpected call-out. I'll take up the geek side, then.

I'm from New England. I think cowboy boots are ridiculous unless they're on a cowboy. I think my sports car has a soft top and doesn't belong on a track. I think I'm a very good road driver and a very slow track driver, based on the numerous driving schools I've been through. I have no illusions about my racing prowess.

And I think NASCAR is boring and depressingly lower-class.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it from my northern and eastern vantage.

CP
Old 06-05-2007, 11:21 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

What's funny is that you will very rarely see a working cowboy wearing what we think of as cowboy boots. What we think of as cowboy boots are worn to dress up and make a bit of a statement. Which, to me, means that anybody who wants to wear them for the same purpose ought to go right ahead.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

>>We're not going to get into arguments about people buying sports cars who don't track them now, are we? -Ucube<<

>>Some of you "easterners" are really proving what geeks you turely are. -bernocco930S<<

That was an unexpected call-out. I'll take up the geek side, then.

I'm from New England. I think cowboy boots are ridiculous unless they're on a cowboy. I think my sports car has a soft top and doesn't belong on a track. I think I'm a very good road driver and a very slow track driver, based on the numerous driving schools I've been through. I have no illusions about my racing prowess.

And I think NASCAR is boring and depressingly lower-class.

CP
Damn those Boxsters, Miatas, Elises, and other open-top sports cars. Get off the track!!!

And the bomber jackets were popularized by the easterners, no?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

OK I am originally from Oklahoma and yes I have worn cowboy boots sometimes but more like once a year. Shoes have evolved over time and today there are better shoes that we utilize but cowboy boots are still a classic so if you enjoy them wear them. Yes a great driver can run the track in cowboy boots but he can also do as good and maybe even better in some other shoes. Bomber Jackets look great, I have one and love it but when I go to fly I do not wear it as it is not authorized, again we now have something better and probably cheaper since it is provided by the lowest bidder.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ucube
Damn those Boxsters, Miatas, Elises, and other open-top sports cars. Get off the track!!!
Yeah, I should have been clearer. I mean my sports car with a soft top, not anyone else's. It's not set up for tracking - it's set up for driving to the beach.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
bernocco930S
Racer

>>

CP

Hey just wanted to personally thank you for clearing this up.

You have just confirmed my very point about you!

eric
Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF! I thought we all daily drive with these!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bernocco930S
Hey just wanted to personally thank you for clearing this up.

You have just confirmed my very point about you!

eric
This was about me? I mean, me personally? Not just your own skewed perspective on the whole east coast?

Damn. I'd have taken the gloves off....
Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 AM
bernocco930S
Racer

This was about me? I mean, me personally? Not just your own skewed perspective on the whole east coast?

Damn. I'd have taken the gloves off....
Kinda funny how you fit the discription so well. I didn't even think about you PERSONALLY until you brought it up. Thanks again.

PS: Get a life!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:22 AM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts

Didn't east coast and west coast rappers start killing each other for less egregious acts than calling out cowboy boots?

I'm from Montana and they issue you a pair at the border. I've worn through many soles of many pairs. My father-in-law can see his socks through the bottom. Trust me, they ain't fashion statements for him.

But, to each their own. This has been an interesting thread.

By the way, heel and toe actions can work better with a "heel" and a "toe" of a cowboy boot!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by marlinspike
In what situation can one actually wear cowboy boots? I've never been anywhere or worn any clothes and thought "A pair of Lucesse's would work well here."
In texas, they are daily attire

Quick Reply: Driving tip learned this morning