Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Every heard of these engine rebuilders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007 | 05:13 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Default Every heard of these engine rebuilders?

I see on eBay an outfit out of Southern Calif. called Einmaligporsche who are offering a "rebuilt" 996 motor for $4500 (plus core exchange) with some sort of reference to a warranty. Has anyone heard of them? It would be great if we could get a decent rebuilt for that price....but what's the old saying about if it sounds too good.....?
Old 06-01-2007 | 05:22 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

The web site is http://einmalig.com/, it says in business over 18 years with another site showing 21 years and a warranty for 6/ 6000. Outside that do not know anything but hopefully they are good and if you are the unlucky 5-10% you now have another option. I have nothing to do with this company!
Old 06-01-2007 | 09:12 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by rountreed
The web site is http://einmalig.com/, it says in business over 18 years with another site showing 21 years and a warranty for 6/ 6000. Outside that do not know anything but hopefully they are good and if you are the unlucky 5-10% you now have another option. I have nothing to do with this company!
6000 or 60,000 mile warranty?
Old 06-01-2007 | 09:16 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

I would guess 6000 miles,
I wish anybody the best with that. you cant even get all the rebuld parts for 4500$ let alone rebuild one right.
thats a fix what failed resuse everything else deal.
Old 06-01-2007 | 04:06 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

I can tell you this since I bought my rebuild from them - they are not doing the work. The guys at Strasse Auto in Newport/Costa Mesa are doing the rebuilding for Brian at Einmalig, and they offer the same price and same or better warranty. Plus, if you have a cracked cylinder head (like I did), the cost is $1500 higher since that is not considered a "rebuildable" core.

I see you are not in the area to stop by and see their shop, but they have 996 motors everywhere waiting to be rebuilt. And the mechanic, I think his name was Jeff, REALLY knows his stuff.

That said, I was very happy with the rebuild, and they fixed a small oil leak (Auto Strasse did) with no complaining or stalling. Definately recommend Auto Strasse first though.
Old 06-01-2007 | 05:44 PM
gixxerflier
Track Day

I've seen that on ebay too and would like all info I can get i.e. warranty etc. Anybody?
I think I would keep my "core" for the extra $1.5k.
Old 06-01-2007 | 06:45 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Keeping your core is not an option, because as Firehawk stated, they reuse the good parts. It is an EXTRA $1500 charge if it is not a "rebuildable" core. Either way thought, you have to exchange it so they can pull the good parts.

They gave me a 6 month 6K mile warranty also.
Old 06-01-2007 | 08:15 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Well then....the preliminary feedback isn't that bad really. I was just looking around for options in the event there's one of those dogone "catastrophic failures" you seem to hear so much about on these forums. The Britts have their guy there who rebuilds the intermix and intermediate shaft failure engines...so I was wondering who we might have here in the US that might have a similar sort of operation going. It would be great to be able to know where we might go here in the US for replacmeent engines.....especially for us folks who dont' have the warranties to back up the costs. $4500 for a 3.4L engine..isn't that bad of a price....but I'd like to see a list of what they actually go through to rebuild them as opposed to simply "checking them out" before sticking them on the pallets for shipment. I might even be tempted to just pay the extra $1500 and keep the core for spare parts.

How much is the replacement engine from that company in England that's been rebuilding them?
Old 06-01-2007 | 09:42 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

they rering rebearing and reseal
Old 06-01-2007 | 10:16 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

I wonder if they can do something similar to that UK company and put a thicker sleeve and/or do a big-bore? Hmmm.
Old 06-02-2007 | 02:17 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, I have had personal dealings with Einmalig on e-bay. Next time we talk on the phone, ask me about them.
Old 06-02-2007 | 02:54 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

heee Mark....enlighten us as well.....!!!
Old 06-02-2007 | 02:59 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mark: Since you're just back from some serious back surgery and will be laid up for a while...how about it I come up and bring the orbital polisher and do up your vesuvio baby for you....you can play voyeur and sit there and watch. I just got a bunch of clay from Griots...so I can clay it too. Then when you're ready to drive again in a couple weeks....it'll be all polished up for you. You're buying the pizza.
Old 06-02-2007 | 08:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Mark: Since you're just back from some serious back surgery and will be laid up for a while...how about it I come up and bring the orbital polisher and do up your vesuvio baby for you....you can play voyeur and sit there and watch. I just got a bunch of clay from Griots...so I can clay it too. Then when you're ready to drive again in a couple weeks....it'll be all polished up for you. You're buying the pizza.
Chuck - just to be clear. The "vesuvio baby" you are referring to, is Mark's P-car, right? I just wanted to make sure that was not a nick-name Mark has given his wife! Either way (especially the second one), can you take pics!

Seriously, Chuck, that is very nice of you to offer to polish Mark's car!
Old 06-02-2007 | 04:10 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I don't think Mark's wife would let me take pics......or post them on this forum either!.....and I'm not sure about the clay either.......You've gotta stay on the forum Tim. It would be a shame to lose the her-asser.

Quick Reply: Every heard of these engine rebuilders?