Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody have Aftermarket Warranty Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:03 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have Aftermarket Warranty Experience?

When I purchased my 99' 996 I purchased a aftermarket extended warranty (non-CPO, non-porsche warranty). I paid for the top warranty that covers pretty much everything including seals. I have never had to use it but now I am fairly certain that I have a RMS leak. I don't really care about the leak but since I have the warranty, I was going to try to get it fixed.

This sounds kind of stupid but when I purchased the warranty, I was very skeptical. I have contacted them and they have been quite nice and easy to work with however I have not taken the car in for the repair yet.

Has anybody had any experiences with aftermarket warranties from private companies? I think my warranty is from Prizm (I don't have my paperwork with me).
Old 05-30-2007, 06:32 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tornik550
When I purchased my 99' 996 I purchased a aftermarket extended warranty (non-CPO, non-porsche warranty). I paid for the top warranty that covers pretty much everything including seals. I have never had to use it but now I am fairly certain that I have a RMS leak. I don't really care about the leak but since I have the warranty, I was going to try to get it fixed.

This sounds kind of stupid but when I purchased the warranty, I was very skeptical. I have contacted them and they have been quite nice and easy to work with however I have not taken the car in for the repair yet.

Has anybody had any experiences with aftermarket warranties from private companies? I think my warranty is from Prizm (I don't have my paperwork with me).
I got my '02 C2 Coupe in November and because there was no factory warranty remaining (and I wasn't 100% sure of the history of the car), I purchased a 3rd party warranty. (I also opted for the 'Platinum' level which pretty much included everything).

After 3 months, the stock radio (CDR-220) made a strange 'thud' sound whenever it turned off (and also when I increased and decreased the volume), and I had an annoying rattle near the passenger side airbag. My dealer discovered the rattle to be related to the door catch (in which case it is a structural part rather than cosmetic), so that was repaired and the radio was swapped out with a factory reconditioned part.

The 3rd party insurance covered almost everything (I still had to pay my excess), but I have only repaired non-critical items, and already feel it has paid itself.

I would therefore recommend it - I have had a good experience.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Which company did you use?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Not sure if you were asking me but I used Prizm Administrative Solutions.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:01 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Which company did you use?
I have 'Carefree Car Protection' from Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:18 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by myrmidon
I have 'Carefree Car Protection' from Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc.
I've got the same one. It's about half paid for already (bought car a year ago, got the highest level), and I think tomorrow it will finish paying for itself.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
kurtp
Advanced

I live in California and want to protect my new purchase with an extended warranty. Does Fidelity offer this to end users or do I have to go through a dealership? Right now I am waiting for Warranty Direct to sell their products directly to consumers in California, but another option is always welcomed. Their website didn't provide for an online quote either, so if you could give me a price point, that would be appreciated. What did you pay for your coverage? This will help me avoid paying above market costs.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:32 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

myrmidon, is that warranty supposed to cover the clutch? They're telling me it doesn't.

Nevermind, I got the car back and looked at the paperwork...doesn't cover the clutch. Shoot. Need to find an indy in the area.

Last edited by marlinspike; 05-31-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody have Aftermarket Warranty Experience?