Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:43 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Convertible Top Problems

1. Has anybody here used their convertible top so much that they had to have their top repaired ?
2. Has anybody found an easy to use convertible top dressing/ protectant/ waterproofing ?
3. Does anybody cycle their convertible top up and down 10 times per week ? Any problems ?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do. I mean if I go to work and back that's two complete cycles alone per day, not to mention, visits to stores, quick trips here and there. I probably average 12 times per week.

Originally Posted by lexpilot
1. Has anybody here used their convertible top so much that they had to have their top repaired ?
2. Has anybody found an easy to use convertible top dressing/ protectant/ waterproofing ?
3. Does anybody cycle their convertible top up and down 10 times per week ? Any problems ?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I found this cabrio care kit last night while searching for clear markers (I decided on Porsche euro's instead of Asian copies BTW)- I hope this is what you're looking for:

http://www.parkplacestores-porsche.com/cabriokit.html

Jim
Old 05-29-2007, 11:17 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've probably cycled mine 10 times a day and very often 3-4 times a day. No problems but the felt covered rubber weather strip leading edge of the rear side windows has seen better days. It's not that bad but a bit worn looking and faded.

Surprisingly my plastic rear window is in great shape, taught and clear with no clouding. I clean it often with Maguires plastic window cleaner and follow with their polish. It comes out looking terrific. I leave my top down all winter and use the hardtop for 4-5 months. The fabric on mine is grey and still looks great, better than most I've seen. When I wash the car I just scrub it with the same car wash soapy water and it comes out nice. I've never used a specialty top cleaner or anything else and have never found the need.

Mechanically my top has never had any issues and always preformed flawlessly over the nearly 4 years that I have had it. My car is nearly 8 years old now and I stand by my decision to buy the Cab.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:23 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Mechanically my top has never had any issues and always preformed flawlessly over the nearly 4 years that I have had it. My car is nearly 8 years old now and I stand by my decision to buy the Cab.
That's good to hear! I'm on month 9 of my 996 cab ownership and I run the little sucker up and down at least twice a day.

I think keeping the top material clean and dry (before putting it down) is the best thing that you can do to encourage long life. I don't bother with treatments either, just good soap and water.

Michael
Old 05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

I recommend Raggtop cleaner and protectant. You can search previous threads on the topic and check out Autopia.com for info (no affiliation, just use the product).
Old 05-29-2007, 04:40 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
I recommend Raggtop cleaner and protectant. You can search previous threads on the topic and check out Autopia.com for info (no affiliation, just use the product).

+1
Old 05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

NO
RaggTopp
YES, I almost always leave the top in the closed position and drop it every time I drive (I have the Smartop BTW)
Old 05-29-2007, 06:07 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

really i think its better to run the top alot, it keeps the seals moving and the pump running and fluid circulating
Old 05-29-2007, 10:08 PM
lIRATIl
Instructor

If the car sat a while would it be better to leave the top up to keep those big "creases" out of the top.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:38 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lIRATIl
If the car sat a while would it be better to leave the top up to keep those big "creases" out of the top.
Yes, although if you don't a day in the sun will work.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Problems