mkiv808
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were side airbags standard on these?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:47 PM
BrandX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, side airbags are in there, back to '02.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 AM
mkiv808
Advanced

And hopefully my last question of the week.

What aftermarket warranties are recommended? (Warranty Direct says it does not cover 911's)
Old 05-22-2007, 10:33 AM
DanJK
Racer

This is the second time I've seen it stated here that Warranty Direct doesn't cover 911.

I purchased a plan from them about 3 months ago - and they definitely knew it was a 911. Is this a new policy? Perhaps they got tired of engine swaps??

Regarding a C4S as a Daily Driver. I'll be the skunk at the party. I would suggest you drive one - in stop and go traffic. Not sure where you live but without tip, it can be tiresome on the left leg if you are in a major metro and communting is an ordeal The cluch is heavy and deep. I don't commute anymore, so I love the shifting action mostly. But if I were doing the stop and go for 50 minutes every day I think I would have an alternative on hand.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:06 PM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned a 03 C4S for 3 years, fantastic on and off the track - not literally and it's for sale, 22k, cobalt blue, if your interested send me a private message.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I would rather not have the Porsche than have it be a daily driver.

I daily drive a Jeep Cherokee, but usually end up driving the Porsche a bit more just because it's more fun to drive than the Jeep, but the Jeep definitely gives me much more peace of mind than the Porsche.

For example, I rarely if ever take the Porsche out downtown to party. Parking sux. Lots of drunks as my p-car draws its fair share of attn. Jeep - I pay no mind. This is where it absolutely sux to have to drive the Porsche if it was my only car.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by mkiv808
And hopefully my last question of the week.

What aftermarket warranties are recommended? (Warranty Direct says it does not cover 911's)
I'd hit up a reputable local P-car dealer and ask them - that's what I did and I had a good experience.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I would rather not have the Porsche than have it be a daily driver.

I daily drive a Jeep Cherokee, but usually end up driving the Porsche a bit more just because it's more fun to drive than the Jeep, but the Jeep definitely gives me much more peace of mind than the Porsche.

For example, I rarely if ever take the Porsche out downtown to party. Parking sux. Lots of drunks as my p-car draws its fair share of attn. Jeep - I pay no mind. This is where it absolutely sux to have to drive the Porsche if it was my only car.
Ben, I'm in the same boat as you, but I always take my car out clubbing. Front spot at all the clubs, know all the Valets by 1st name, and they me. They always leave my car right up front and NEVER drive it. I always make it a point to get there names, remember them and really take care of 'em. In all the years I've been clubbing/valet'ing, never so much as a scuff.

BTW Ben, I LOVE the way the Cherokee looks next to the TT. Two such classic looking cars that compiment the hell out of eachother, I KNOW you agree!!!

Anyhow, I would not own a Porsche if it was my only car, for the reasons you mentioned. ESPECIALLY in the winter.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:11 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I have an '02 C2 so I can't comment on the AWD, but it's my daily driver and I've put 28000 miles on it since I bought it last May. It's now at 78000 miles and running well (including some time at 140mph on Sunday at the Silver State ). The 6-speed doesn't bother me on my commute through LA, but I think the city traffic may cut clutch life to 50k or less (and I'm used to babying clutches to 150k or beyond).
Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

In the more cosmo Seattle (can't believe I'm saying that, but we are comparing it to STL here), we have very hilly, narrow streets downtown and with the added threat of rain, it just plain sucks to ride out party nites. It's nice to pimp it out front, but honestly, that 30 seconds of showmanship isn't worth sacrificing the peace of mind that the P-car is at home in the garage chillin. Plus, there's very little valet service in downtown Seattle and the turnover is so high, it's not even worth trying to build a relationship. It ain't no podunk STL where peeps make a career out of valeting and can still afford a mortgage.

And I completely agree with you that I love the way the Jeep Cherokee looks. It's got classic boxy styling and reliable as all heck. I will keep this thing till it dies. Currently at 116K miles. 1999 Sport.

Timeless!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 PM
rmillnj
Racer

I have owned lots of Jeeps and lots of Porsches and I can tell you that given a choice, I will always drive the Porsche. Both the Porsche ('99 C2 -84,000 miles) and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (140,000 miles) have both done long stints as daily drivers. And I have have had other Porsches and Jeeps doing much the same routine. Who would ever choose to drive a Jeep over a Porsche as long as you have some open highway?

The biggest drawback to the Porsche is always where to park it. I have found over the years though, that if you are careful and pick your spots carefully, you can keep the car free of dings and dents. Of course I don't live in a city, so that makes it easier. Now I am not so careful with the jeep and it has more than its share of battle damage.

As for driving in the snow, I actually almost prefer the Porsche with Blizzaks. I just feel like I have much better grip then the standard SUV all season tires. Actually the best snow car I ever had was an Audi TT with Blizzaks. I imagine a C4S would be just as nice. It was like driving an ATV in the snow. Of course in NJ we normally don't get too deep a snow. That is where the Jeep is clearly superior. But that Jeep is heavy and SUV all season tires don't have the grip of Blizzaks.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:20 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said in a previous thread, I had a 2002 M-3 and now own a '99 996. If you love the way a Porsche drives like I do, you won't be happy with the M-3 (my opinion). If you like the power of the C6, get a TT like previously mentioned.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:32 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 576 Posts
Default 42,000 miles later....

Used it daily with absolutely no issues and race it at club events......regular service and that is it.....great in snow with snow tires, and very secure in the rain, even when pushing it a bit........only issue is new rear tires every 15,000 miles, but as anticipated.......have received more compliments on my 996 C4S than any other car I have owned.....BMWS, Jags, MINI,993, etc...go for it...
Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Show us your interiors for those of you who daily drive your 911

Quick Reply: C4S as daily driver?