Sponsored by:

rear tire wear pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
Default rear tire wear pattern?

Is it normal for these cars to wear the inside edge of the tire more than the outsides on the rear tires? The wear smoothly increases as you go from outside to inside, but the difference is huge (like 8k more miles judging by the outside of the tire but in serious need of replacement judging from the inside of the tire).
Old 05-16-2007, 06:11 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Normal. The factory camber setting is very aggressive for a street car and you ride on the inside half of the back tires. You can dial out the camber to be less negative and your tire life will double.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:06 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Normal. The factory camber setting is very aggressive for a street car and you ride on the inside half of the back tires. You can dial out the camber to be less negative and your tire life will double.
Thanks. Naw, I won't dial it out, I know that's how a good performance setup is, I just didn't know if this was supposed to be like that (never sure how much they dumb things down for us normal people). Thanks.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normal. 1.5 deg. neg camber in the rear will do that. You just need to drive the car harder in the twisties to even out the tire wear!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Normal. 1.5 deg. neg camber in the rear will do that. You just need to drive the car harder in the twisties to even out the tire wear!
Heh, well with my mom driving it I doubt that will happen.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:57 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Finally, someone touched on the subject I've been trying to get answered all over the place.

Observation: My 996 sits like my old 356 with the swing axle, and the outer edges of the rear tires are almost in the air (OK I exaggerate). This will not help tire life.

Theory: Huge negative camber on these cars to keep the outside tire flat at cornering limits (track, evading police...) when body roll is very high. When driving in a straight line or just driving mildly (like 90% of street driving), the tires wear out the inside edges. If I may take the liberty to speculate, I'd say that the suspension changes drastically with body roll, just like the old 356's, so Porsche spec'd high negative camber to neutrallize outboard camber in hard turns. Camber must be neutral then, why would they have partial inboard edge contact only when you need maximum adhesion? If my theory is correct so far, then this suspension setup probably also accounts for tire pressure specs being higher for the size tire and axle weight then other cars using similar size tires. I think the high pressure is needed to belly out the tire producing more contact in the center to keep from just wearing out the inside edge in a few hundred miles. I put a pyrometer on the tires and (in my mind) confirmed this by seeing temperature kept warm along the inner half of the tire then dropping to cold for the outer half (at 40psi). At lower pressure (34), only the inside edge makes any heat.

Proposal: Start at the cause of the problem and work through to the desired end (better tire wear without sacrificing much performance). I can give up a small amount of performance as my car will never leave the street for the racetrack.

Schedule: 1) Install a stiffer rear swaybar. 18mm now (car is 02 C4 Cab). This should reduce body roll which is now significant. 2) Reduce rear camber to the neighborhood of -40' to -45' (whatever seems practical for the amount of body roll reduction). Factory low limit is now 55'. 3) Reduce tire pressures using an I/R thermometer, taking a survey after mild or highway driving, and also after hard cornering.

Does this make sense to anyone in here? ALso... anyone know the next 2 steps up in swaybar size that will fit my car?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wdonovan
Finally, someone touched on the subject I've been trying to get answered all over the place.

Observation: My 996 sits like my old 356 with the swing axle, and the outer edges of the rear tires are almost in the air (OK I exaggerate). This will not help tire life.

Theory: Huge negative camber on these cars to keep the outside tire flat at cornering limits (track, evading police...) when body roll is very high. When driving in a straight line or just driving mildly (like 90% of street driving), the tires wear out the inside edges. If I may take the liberty to speculate, I'd say that the suspension changes drastically with body roll, just like the old 356's, so Porsche spec'd high negative camber to neutrallize outboard camber in hard turns. Camber must be neutral then, why would they have partial inboard edge contact only when you need maximum adhesion? If my theory is correct so far, then this suspension setup probably also accounts for tire pressure specs being higher for the size tire and axle weight then other cars using similar size tires. I think the high pressure is needed to belly out the tire producing more contact in the center to keep from just wearing out the inside edge in a few hundred miles. I put a pyrometer on the tires and (in my mind) confirmed this by seeing temperature kept warm along the inner half of the tire then dropping to cold for the outer half (at 40psi). At lower pressure (34), only the inside edge makes any heat.

Proposal: Start at the cause of the problem and work through to the desired end (better tire wear without sacrificing much performance). I can give up a small amount of performance as my car will never leave the street for the racetrack.

Schedule: 1) Install a stiffer rear swaybar. 18mm now (car is 02 C4 Cab). This should reduce body roll which is now significant. 2) Reduce rear camber to the neighborhood of -40' to -45' (whatever seems practical for the amount of body roll reduction). Factory low limit is now 55'. 3) Reduce tire pressures using an I/R thermometer, taking a survey after mild or highway driving, and also after hard cornering.

Does this make sense to anyone in here? ALso... anyone know the next 2 steps up in swaybar size that will fit my car?

Simply reducing the camber will double the life of the tires and not reduce handling for most street drivers. Leave tire pressure at or near 44 psi.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

wdonovan-
Your theory is an interesting one. However, I don't think adding a thick swaybar and reducing camber will give you the desired results. As with everything, there are no free rides. Having a thicker rear swaybar can reduce the ride quality. Essentially you are tieing together the rear wheels with a spring. With a thicker bar when one wheel hits a pothole the shock will also be transmitted to the other side through the bar. You can end up with a harsher ride when going to a stiffer rear bar.

With that said, there are many options for a firmer rear bar. The most popular in order of stiffness (softest first), M030, GT-3, H&R

Andy
Old 05-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If your car is lowered from stock, it will be worse too.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

my 2000 C4 is used for high mileage commuting, it has 97+ thousand miles on it. I took all the camber out of the rear set up and run the tire pressure at 36 psi. For my purposes, and limited ability to judge such things, the performance remains way in excess of anything I can use, and I get approximately 24,000 miles out of a set of rear tires.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, a lot of rear tire wear has to do with the camber.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:19 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Gretch,

What tires are you wearing for the 996 C4? I will be driving 100% street during fair weather only. Have done many tire searches but have not found a concrete answer.

TIA

Chao
Old 05-18-2007, 09:14 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Looks like I've got a few people thinking now. I reallize that the major downside to my proposal is a harsher ride. I'm willing to put up with that. I started thinking about this whole thing because of Porsche's tire pressure recommendations. They seemed stupidly high. People said that Porsche knows more than anyone and the pressure HAS to be high. But coming from 6 C4 and C5 Corvettes that use similar size tires, I couldn't see why a 3600# car needs 30 lbs. air and the Porsche at 3200# needs 44 lbs. Something's wrong here. The Vettes tires last long and wear evenly. Not the Porsche even though the extreme compromise of running the tires right to (above, when hot) the tire maker's advice. Again, anyone know of the next one or two bigger than 18mm that will fit 02 C4 Cab?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Originally Posted by wdonovan
Again, anyone know of the next one or two bigger than 18mm that will fit 02 C4 Cab?
I'm not sure what you are asking here?

The largest factor causing the rapid rear tire wear is that 60% of the cars weight is hanging off the back of the car. Not something that the Corvette has to contend with. I have also heard that the very high rear tire pressure has to do with protecting the rims from damage with a very low sidewall tire.

All this said. I feel that 12K-16K miles on a set of summer ultra high performance tires on a sports car like the Porsche is completely reasonable. If you can shell out this kind of money for the car and maintenance you should be able to buy some new shoes for the car every 12 to 18 months.

Even my Honda S2000 would go through tires at the same rate as the Porsche in the rear.

All though far from ideal, I believe that the tire life on the 996 is acceptable. I think for those using the 996 as a commuter car you really need to rethink the purpose of this vehicle. It would probably do you better to buy a honda civic for those long drives if your end goal is to spend the least amount of money on your commute.

Just my $.02

Quick Reply: rear tire wear pattern?