Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Brand New Poineer Nav installed: PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by springgeyser
Nice install arrOgant. I was looking into the same unit for the bluetooth and rear camera capabilities.

A few questions.
-Where was the Nav antenna installed? Is a monthly subscription fee req'd.
-Can you input destination points while the car is moving? Most factory nav units require the car to be stopped to set the destination point.
-If you also installed the bluetooth will it let you input phone info while the car is moving?
-Can the rear camera be activated while the car is moving forward?
A few answers.
-Top-middle of back window, I think...
-You have to solder something to get everything to work whilst moving. It's supposed to be an ez fix, although, it can void the warranty, so I'll wait a year to do it.
-I have not installed Bluetooth. It's $180, just for the module. Will try to find it on ebay for under $100. I would think you could make calls, but who knows. I do know that it imports all your contacts, then brings them up onto the screen. You simply scroll down, hit the contact and speak freely.
-The camera can be and IS active while moving. Also, when you put it in reverse, it comes on. You prolly knew that.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:56 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arr0gant
-Top-middle of back window, I think...
-You have to solder something to get everything to work whilst moving. It's supposed to be an ez fix, although, it can void the warranty, so I'll wait a year to do it.
-I have not installed Bluetooth. It's $180, just for the module. Will try to find it on ebay for under $100. I would think you could make calls, but who knows.
-The camera can be and IS active while moving. Also, when you put it in reverse, it comes on. You prolly knew that.
Thx again.

Time to get the wife's approval.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:59 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fishman
Looks great.

Is the camera wireless or did they run a wire all the way to the front of the car?
It is wired. And yes, ran a wire all the way from outside of the back to the front.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:03 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by bonkur
I am researching GPS units right now and had come to the conclusion that this is probably the best performing/looking unit for the price point. Do you know if there was any problem in moving the climate control down to the lowest point in the dash?

I was wondering how I could install a rear cam in a cab. That looks like it will work!

Looks Great!
Ya, after all the research and then driving to different places and playing iwth the units, this was the one. If anyone has a different one, I'd love to hear opinions and see pics. For anyone who is on the fence about this one, I think this is the way to go. It's very sleek/simple/elegant.

I love the fact that it has ONE *** for volume. When I reach down to turn it up OR down, I don't want to hit a button, I naturally want to turn an analogue **** for fast volume change.

Also, this one has NO moving parts, ie doesn't have to open to put a CD in. I liked that feature, a lot. It looks better, IMO cause it doesn't have the frame around it. This also gives it a more "factory" look, as most factory units have the CD-slot built in.

My climate was already there. The Audiovox License-plate-frame camera works great!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! But you have to do something with the cigarette outlet plug - is it for a radar detector? If so, there is switchable power easily accessible and you can wire it in less that 30 minutes.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM
heelix
Instructor

Why the rear camera? Interesting hack - but there had to be a reason to shell out ~300 for it. Parking tight?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:20 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by heelix
Why the rear camera? Interesting hack - but there had to be a reason to shell out ~300 for it. Parking tight?
Damn...good question... [rubs head]

No, seriously. It's a new feature coming on new cars. It's for backing up. You can see if anything is on the road behind your car, that you otherwise would not be able to see. It's a little frivolous but, what the hell.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:07 AM
joesmoe
Instructor

I recently installed a new unit too, however I chose not to go with a double-din and stayed with a single, replacing the stock HU, and not having to move things around.

Attached is a picture of my install. Its the new JVC KD-NX500 and it has all the same functions as the AVIC. Not sure however if the Avic has a built in HD. This one does and its 40gb, 16 is reserved for the Nav, the other 24 you can copy mp3s, or rip cd's onto it.

A plus to this is that it will play divx, mpg, avi files. Which is quite nice having a bunch of music vids that i've compiled and stored onto DVD. Also, it is satellite ready, and has the option to send/receive video (ie parking), or external monitor hookups. And lastly, it can tilt up to 4 angles.

I spent a total of $800 for the unit, ipod cable, and bluetooth. My ipod is stored in the lockable center console. The JVC unit also controls the ipod, and can show you either file name or tag. The nav attenna, I put under the alarm light on the top of the dash. And the bluetooth mic, is just hooked up to the storage bin in the center console.

Now to upgrade the amp and speakers
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 AM
AsianImage
Racer

looks great...all except the rear view camera. I ALMOST did this mod. But when I saw the plate camera...I was soo turned off..and it was very pricey. My installer quoted me the exact same price. $199 for the plate camera and $100 install.

I just think it was too ugly for my plate so I did not do it. But to each his own. Either way the install is clean!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:40 AM
996 Jammy
Instructor

gant,
$ well spent! probably as close to factory as you can get. was on the fence btwn the pioneer and eclipse units. Thanks for the pics! Keep us posted on how you like it once you log in time playing with it.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:55 AM
bonkur
Advanced

As I mentioned, I just bought a 99 cab. It sat on car lots for about 8 months, and in that time it was relieved of it's Alpine CD changer and it's aftermarket amp. My car "had" the upgraded stereo when sold (not Bose), so it has the 6 sets of speakers. Right now the only set working is the rear, thanks to the butchery of the carlot morons. So, last night I got a quote for the same AVIC-D3 unit, + an amp to run the mids in the door - $1900 without the camera or bluetooth, or ipod connector. Prices were full retail + $400 install.... This is the top shelf shop in Sacramento, as I was afraid of small chop shops (one of which I visited and they knew **** about the D3), but I gotta find a more afordable shop as I still have to take the car in for it's 60K, buy a hardtop, get a new keyless remote...... you get the idea.

Gant - I want your shop!!! Anybody know a better auto stereo shop in the Sacramento area?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:31 PM
996 Jammy
Instructor

Surprising that you wouldn't be able to negotiate off msrp at a auto sound shop. There must be plenty willing to win your business.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:31 PM
TOORUF
Intermediate

Mine is real similar. I went with the Z1 and I did the Bypass for access while moving. Works great.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Irksome
Racer

Very dumb question time...

Does this unit have AM & FM tuning and presets? I don't see it listed in reviews or specifications, but it seems like a very basic need.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:59 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996 Jammy
Surprising that you wouldn't be able to negotiate off msrp at a auto sound shop. There must be plenty willing to win your business.
MSRP was $1000 for the unit, I got it for $900 and $100 for the install.

Quick Reply: Brand New Poineer Nav installed: PICS!!!