996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Handling

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:23 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 & 2 have been the only times I've come across oversteer but I did 1 & 2 on purpose.

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
That's because you were driving correctly. When going through turns, one should not be braking or accelerating much. A 996, with all that power, will lighten up the front end quite a bit when under full power. So if you're trying to turn while under 100% power, you'll get a noticeable understeer.

The only way to get the rear end to come around are to do the following:

1.) You are on the gas 100% in a tight turn and in a low gear
2.) You suddenly lift off the gas in a tight turn
3.) You brake in a tight turn
Old 05-13-2007, 04:47 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996 Cop
Sure, it is out of my jurisdiction anyway.
I'm curious - are you more likely to let a Porsche off with a warning than say, a hopped-up Mustang or ricer? I think I would.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Took my 996 for a drive on one of the best roads in the area. It is designated as Park Road 4 and is in the Texas Hill Country. Very twisty and some nice steep grades. I have driven numerous cars on this road and I have never seen anything handle like the 996 with new Michelins.
Could not get the back end to slide out (has TC) and never heard even the slightest tire squeel like many other cars.
If I ever get into a chase with a Porsche with a fairly skilled driver, it is all over. Our patrol cars don't handle anywhere close.

I see your running 17" rims... which michelins did you put on it?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=996 Cop][QUOTE=Tippy]Try out park road 37 off of highway 16, you will never forget that road, 5 miles of 15/20/30MPH turns.

What county is that in, so I can look it up?
I think Bexar, but could be Medina or Bandera also
Old 05-14-2007, 01:20 AM
996 Cop
Advanced

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
I'm curious - are you more likely to let a Porsche off with a warning than say, a hopped-up Mustang or ricer? I think I would.
Yeah, they get better lawyers (if they are not a lawyer). Actually don't get that many out this way. I am not big on tickets unless something totally reckless like running a red light. Only average about 6 tickets and 7 warnings per month. If I was a State Trooper the numbers would be much higher, Their supervisors really push for numbers.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:38 AM
996 Cop
Advanced

Originally Posted by c70Pete
I see your running 17" rims... which michelins did you put on it?
Michelin Pilot N2
Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Michelin Pilot N2
yes... the "RIB" design... nice...
Old 05-14-2007, 04:41 PM
996 Cop
Advanced

Drove on another back road today and pushed the car pretty hard. I could get the back end to slide, but with the traction control I never felt like I was about to lose control. These cars handle very well.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Drove on another back road today and pushed the car pretty hard. I could get the back end to slide, but with the traction control I never felt like I was about to lose control. These cars handle very well.
I think the days of the infamous "hammer coming 'round" are over, even as early as the 3.2 cars. My 88 Carrera on the track started to get loose once, but that was because I mishandled it by braking hard in a turn. Even as the rear started to come out, it was easy to put it back in place.

I think driving an early 70's 911 would be another story
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Yeah, the limits on these things are waaaaay beyond what you should do on a public road. On onramps, I just floor it and turn and hold the hell on for dear life, and off we go - it's insane, really.

My brother, who lives in Nor Cal, had been talking big - "wait until I get a chance to drive that thing, I'll show you how it's done". Takes it out with me in the passenger seat, drives like a grandma. He says "How was that? Impressed?" Hahahaha....
Old 05-15-2007, 01:57 AM
996 Cop
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
Yeah, the limits on these things are waaaaay beyond what you should do on a public road. On onramps, I just floor it and turn and hold the hell on for dear life, and off we go - it's insane, really.

My brother, who lives in Nor Cal, had been talking big - "wait until I get a chance to drive that thing, I'll show you how it's done". Takes it out with me in the passenger seat, drives like a grandma. He says "How was that? Impressed?" Hahahaha....
I used to race motorcycles years ago and heard some say that if you wanted to be competitive you were almost crashing every turn because you were going "all out". That may be true with some, but smooth consistent laps often produced winners.
What I am getting at is even though it looks good sliding around turns (and is a lot of fun) it may not be the fastest overall on a race track.
Some of the concepts are the same in motorcycle racing as with auto racing. Most important, you have to know your capabilities and those of the car you are driving. A lot of the pursuits I have been involved in, I could tell very quickly that the driver was not skilled and would keep my distance until they wrecked out.
I believe the autocross and DE schools are a safe place to try out our cars. Also we have the Big Bend Open Road races in Texas and Nevada. These Open Road races allow you to drive your car at full speed (with proper safety equipment and driving experience) on a state highway (59 miles one way at the Big Bend race).
Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I used to race motorcycles years ago and heard some say that if you wanted to be competitive you were almost crashing every turn because you were going "all out". That may be true with some, but smooth consistent laps often produced winners.
What I am getting at is even though it looks good sliding around turns (and is a lot of fun) it may not be the fastest overall on a race track.
Some of the concepts are the same in motorcycle racing as with auto racing. Most important, you have to know your capabilities and those of the car you are driving. A lot of the pursuits I have been involved in, I could tell very quickly that the driver was not skilled and would keep my distance until they wrecked out.
I believe the autocross and DE schools are a safe place to try out our cars. Also we have the Big Bend Open Road races in Texas and Nevada. These Open Road races allow you to drive your car at full speed (with proper safety equipment and driving experience) on a state highway (59 miles one way at the Big Bend race).
Very true. One famous race car driver said that you should drive at all times "like you're taking your girl out on a date. That's how smooth you should be whether you are driving on the street, or trying to take the pole in a competition."

...smooth consistent laps often produced winners...
This is what I tried focusing on while doing my last DE event. I might have been slow, but I wanted to get that technique down.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nutbeem

hehehe Did you eventually take him out for a ride with and REALLY show "him how it's done?"

Quick Reply: 996 Handling