Sponsored by:

Burning smell after drives

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
GunKata
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by care4era
Welcome to the smell of porsche. Totally normal.

I found that out years ago when I had a 944...

Me: It smells like gas or something is burning after I turn the car off.

Tech: yeahhhh... thats normal, nothing wrong at all.

Me: oh, ok.... weird.

Tech: It's a Porsche "thing", dont worry about it.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard the same thing when I complained to the tech about the clattering valve noise at idle. He says, not as bad as most of 'em.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:59 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Blinkwatt, it was the lower "control arms" in back...they jacked the car up off them. I don't think they are called control arms. They are about 18 inches long and they are the primary adjustment for rear wheel alignment.
I thought the rubber smell was normal....it was severe...it smelled like my tires were on fire, even after the rare gentile drive (which only happens when my 80 year old dad is in the car). It was not normal. I destroyed a set of rear tires in about 200 miles (they had 50% tread when I bought them with a set of wheels).
I figured out that I had a major problem when I drove it in the rain and the tail started wagging at anything over 10 mph. I was lucky, my insurance covered the damage to the suspension.
That isn't even close to the jack points. Oh the Porsheanity.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:04 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Blinkwatt, it was the lower "control arms" in back...they jacked the car up off them. I don't think they are called control arms. They are about 18 inches long and they are the primary adjustment for rear wheel alignment.
I thought the rubber smell was normal....it was severe...it smelled like my tires were on fire, even after the rare gentile drive (which only happens when my 80 year old dad is in the car). It was not normal. I destroyed a set of rear tires in about 200 miles (they had 50% tread when I bought them with a set of wheels).
I figured out that I had a major problem when I drove it in the rain and the tail started wagging at anything over 10 mph. I was lucky, my insurance covered the damage to the suspension.

Wow - they sound like they really know what they are doing.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not giving up their name because, believe it or not, I still like the place. They have always treated me good and they will match Costco's prices. I think a new kid got ahold of it. Thank God for insurance.
It isn't nearly as bad as the tire store that did a brake job on my truck a few years ago. A new kid put oil in my brake reservoir....I wasn't happy when I tried to stop the car in freeway traffic. They had to replace my entire brake system.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:29 PM
s14roller
Racer

Smell is normal like these guys stated.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:50 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would vote for a slight burning smell as being normal. I've been using a 911 as a DD for the past 11 years so I've become accustomed to the smell.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine smells too for what it's worth, and my buddy who ust bought a 2003 model. I figured it was the rear tires getting cooked by the cats. My cosmoline is pretty much baked on from what I saw during the post purchase inspection.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:00 AM
carbonfiber
Advanced

Funny, I just noticed that smell Friday night after a hard drive and pulled in the shop. The mufflers were still pinging when I shut off the car. I could smell the rubber of the tires and they were fairly warm to the touch. However I never experience that smell with normal driving. This is the first time smelling it in the 3,000 miles of my ownership.
JIM

Quick Reply: Burning smell after drives