Sponsored by:

Problem with H&R 7mm spacers in the front

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:39 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 381 Posts
Default Problem with H&R 7mm spacers in the front

I need some advice about my spacer set up. I originally purchased some 7 mm h&r spacers for the rear of my 99 996, and the results weren't that noticeable to me. (stock carrera 5-spoke 18-inch wheels). Also, I thought I detected a slight vibration, but could not tell if it was due to the addition of the spacers or not. Just yesterday I got my larger 14 mm spacers, put them on, and the vibration was gone! So, I figured that I would put the 7 mm spacers up front to even things out a bit. Bad idea. The car shook BAD above 65 mph. Really bad. So bad I thought I didn't tighten my wheel bolts enough and that my wheel was going to fall off. I pulled over, checked everything, and nothing seemed amiss.

Has anyone else had this experience? Would a balance help. I'm kind of baffled as the 14 mm spacers had no vibration at all, and I could detect no problems at all before I put the 7mm units on the front. Any advice would be great. Scott.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:54 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

A balance will not help since you had no issues in the front without the spacers. Chances are the 7mm spacers are not seating flat and it's causing your wheels to run with a wobble. Can you return the spacers for other ones? Also, i assume you're using longer bolts for each of these?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the H&R 7mm spacers with their longer bolts on the rear with no problems. If you have a friend with a machine shop, I would have him check if the spacers are uniformly flat across the mounting surfaces. I hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:20 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 15mm front and rear...looks better..but no other changes for good or bad.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:54 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 381 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check to see if they are seated properly. If that isn't the culprit, I'll see if I can verify they are nice and flat. Scott.

Quick Reply: Problem with H&R 7mm spacers in the front