Sponsored by:

Trunk Light no longer works after facelift

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:11 PM
signal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Light no longer works after facelift

I had a facelift done on my car ( 02+ style). For headlights I went with the Bi-Xenon's. To mate the headlights to my car I used the following harnesses:

996-622-314-00-OEM 996 Right Headlight harness 996 2002-2004 Xenon
996-622-317-00-OEM 996 Left Headlight harness 996 2002-2004 Xenon

Well, my trunk light no longer works. After tracing it, the ground from the trunk light goes into the headlight harness, which at the point it attaches to the car harness, there is no ground pin! So on the headlight harness side there is a pin/wire, and then on the car chassis side its blank hole.

Anyone who has done the face lift using the above harness, do you recall having to make any jumpers? Info? My understanding was that it was plug and play and all worked when done.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-04-2007, 06:56 PM
signal
Racer

Bump, can anyone who has done a facelift on a 99-01 comment? Did you use the same wireing harnesses and how did you handle the trunk light? Or does your trunk light just not work?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:35 PM
ericdee
Racer

No it should work. Did you check the lead on the light. Is it hot? Also I seem to remember a bolt down ground. Time to break out the test light.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:35 PM
signal
Racer

The light has two leads. One lead is hot, I hav confirmed its good, and confifrmed the bulb/bracket are good.

The other lead, which is ground, is not a good ground. Tracing this lead it goes into the headlight harness, and then to the wiring block that connects to the car. On the "car" side of the block it mates into its an empty slot!!!! so there is no ground. Seeing I have a normal factory car harness, and used the headlight harnesses with the above part numbers and regular bi-xenon headlights.

Did you do a facelift and use those wiring harnesses? There is a bolt down ground, only 1 and its bolted down. Its a good ground, tested with ohm meter, and my headlight and other functions work fine.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't know if mine still works...but if it doesn't I wouldn't really care or even noticed it. can't be a huge problem...maybe your bulb burned out!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by the way.....how about some images ¸pre and post facelift...and a bit of on inside of how you like it!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 PM
signal
Racer

Nicolaasdb, if you used the same harnesses, definitely check for the light, I would be interested. The bulb is not burned, I checked it by applying proper ground and all lights up. Like I said, I have power, just no ground.

As for pics, I am going to post some up. I can't wax the car and stuff until like 30-60 days so the paint can cure, so its not going to look its best, but what I did was go from a 2000 factory aero, and change it with All brand new factory porsche parts: fenders, liners, bumper, splitter, bi-xenons, harnesses, etc. All fresh paint, I think it looks great, I will post it all up over the weekend.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:58 AM
ericdee
Racer

Originally Posted by signal
The light has two leads. One lead is hot, I hav confirmed its good, and confifrmed the bulb/bracket are good.

The other lead, which is ground, is not a good ground. Tracing this lead it goes into the headlight harness, and then to the wiring block that connects to the car. On the "car" side of the block it mates into its an empty slot!!!! so there is no ground. Seeing I have a normal factory car harness, and used the headlight harnesses with the above part numbers and regular bi-xenon headlights.

Did you do a facelift and use those wiring harnesses? There is a bolt down ground, only 1 and its bolted down. Its a good ground, tested with ohm meter, and my headlight and other functions work fine.
Hmmm... Yeah that's odd. And yes, I used the 01 turbo wiring harnesses.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:49 AM
signal
Racer

Not really odd, I mean, obviously the turbo had a different way of handling the trunk light. Anyone know where there are wiring diagrams for a harness that I can look up? I mean I kow its not in PET, so where would that be? In any case its no big deal, I am going to figure it out, and then post here and my "detailed facelift" thread (I have a few things to update in that thread). I think thats the only gotcha when going from 00-01 to facelift and using those harnesses.

When going from 02+ and wanting to convert halogen to bi-xenon you use those same harnesses as well, and you DO have to move pins around as well to get the high-beam to work, at least this is a more simple problem.

Quick Reply: Trunk Light no longer works after facelift