Heel to Toe Video Clips

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Heel to Toe Video Clips

Some of you might have seen these. Awesome heel to toe foot works!

Clip 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu7UO9K4Quo

Clip 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VjgbvpyCp8

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 05-01-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that.... always wanted to know what it was......so what's the big hoop la on it?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
thanks for that.... always wanted to know what it was......so what's the big hoop la on it?
Its a good talent to have in approaching corners. While hard braking, you're able to match the engine rev to shift down. Avoiding transmission and engine shock if you just let go of the clutch.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 AM
flash80
Instructor

heel-toeing keeps you smoother in turns. too bad the only one heel-toeing in the 1st video was in the NSX (he was BY FAR, the best driver). Also the fact that he kept up with the Lambos is ridiculous.

The video nicely demonstrates that you don't really use your heel as much as you use the side of your foot. they should call it big-toe-little-toeing...not as catchy though.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:20 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

It ain't brain surgery. If the pedals are set up right for it, it's a piece of cake. Unfortunately, damn few street cars have the right pedal to pedal relationship to make it possible without going into such contortions that it can't be performed smoothly enough to actually help. I always found that it's not an issue of matching revs, you're going to do that anyway else you'll just drag the rear wheels and spin. It's the braking that gets sacrificed normally. With this method, you get some extra braking that you normally wouldn't have.

Porsche_Smile, this is an example of sarcasm right?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:28 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Its a good talent to have in approaching corners. While hard braking, you're able to match the engine rev to shift down. Avoiding transmission and engine shock if you just let go of the clutch.
A bit more to it than that, two big things: First, the balance of the car never gets upset. All four tires stay planted rather than being slightly unweighted by the shifts that occur with those "shocks" you talked about. And, while keeping the car balanced, you're also ensuring you're in the right gear for the quickest exit from the turn.

I haven't tracked in years, but I still heel-and-toe 100% of the time. Though I must confess, it was almost like relearning it with this car. The pedal setup on my BMWs was intuitive, but for me this was a bit awkward at first. My first instructor's words still ring in my ears... "smooth is fast."
Old 05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

"Heel-Toe" works best with pedals that are (1) spaced properly; and (2) where the accelerator is lower (see #1) than the brake pedal and is one whose fulcrum is up high (pedal suspended by a hanging lever) rather than on the floor board like the Porsche.

What I do is what I call "Toe-Toe". Brake right half of brake pedal with your toe instep but very vertical and the roll your toe outstep to the accelerator for rev matching. Works liike a champ and VERY easy to modulate revs and brake pressure.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting video. Really makes me want a Gallardo all the more. That NSX guy really could drive!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

left foot braking is more useful..
Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
left foot braking is more useful..
I think you are in the wrong discussion. This is about heel-toe and left foot braking has nothing to do with it.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:35 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidN
That NSX guy really could drive!!!
That's Japanese racing legend Motoharu "Gan San" Kurosawa. His son Takuya Kurosawa is driving the Gallardo. Some of the other drivers are active professional racers, and I think everybody else on that track is at least half his age. Here's a clip of him attacking the Nurburgring Nordschleife in an NSX-R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdGoFhs1pf4
Old 05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVDell
"Heel-Toe" works best with pedals that are (1) spaced properly; and (2) where the accelerator is lower (see #1) than the brake pedal and is one whose fulcrum is up high (pedal suspended by a hanging lever) rather than on the floor board like the Porsche.

What I do is what I call "Toe-Toe". Brake right half of brake pedal with your toe instep but very vertical and the roll your toe outstep to the accelerator for rev matching. Works liike a champ and VERY easy to modulate revs and brake pressure.
That's what I do, too. I just found with my car that there was more distance to bridge than with the Bimmer, and the throttle response wasn't as linear and intuitive. My Z3 was pre-electronic throttle, and the Dinan flash got rid of the flat spot off idle, so it felt really 'right there'. I could run it down all the way from fifth to first just as smooth as you please. The Porsche is just taking some getting used to.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by BruceP
A bit more to it than that, two big things: First, the balance of the car never gets upset. All four tires stay planted rather than being slightly unweighted by the shifts that occur with those "shocks" you talked about. And, while keeping the car balanced, you're also ensuring you're in the right gear for the quickest exit from the turn.

I haven't tracked in years, but I still heel-and-toe 100% of the time. Though I must confess, it was almost like relearning it with this car. The pedal setup on my BMWs was intuitive, but for me this was a bit awkward at first. My first instructor's words still ring in my ears... "smooth is fast."
Bruce,

I'm aware of it. Thanks of course. I just did not want to give Porsche_smile the deeper/detailed secondary purpose of it since he has the basic question of "what is it". I agree 110% that upseting the suspension at those speeds would be not the way to go.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up AWESOME Downshifting with blip of the gas

Here is an awesome/super fast heel to toe. You may not notice, cause he's doing it soooo fast, but he has blip of the gas while in that micro second that he has the clutch in.

I'm sure that a lot of you have seen this too.

http://gscdownloads.com/leh/sebring/GT3RSatSebring.wmv
Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Bruce,

I'm aware of it. Thanks of course. I just did not want to give Porsche_smile the deeper/detailed secondary purpose of it since he has the basic question of "what is it". I agree 110% that upseting the suspension at those speeds would be not the way to go.
Oh... (stammer, blush) didn't mean to condescend. Got excited because it was finally a question I knew the answer to!

Quick Reply: Heel to Toe Video Clips