996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Litronics - All Bi-xenon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 99 has the regular litronics.... high beams are the halogens....and the low are the xenon...
Old 05-02-2007, 01:08 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

viper501...here's the pic, what's your verdict?

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
I'll go take a shot now......give me 10 mins....

Ok, Here you go:

Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by signal
Not sure, I do know that the bixenons ALL have washers (silver disk) on them. So if you dont have the washer then you may just have projector halogens (not bi-xenon)

I don't know about US Law or Rules , but in Europe the mounting of xenon lights must include headlight washers and automatic high adjustment.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:17 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll go take a shot now......give me 10 mins....

Ok, Here you go:

Your labels are correct for an older Litronic car, but not for the 02+ Bi-Xenon lighting assembly you show in the picture. The upper Xenon reflector is both the low beam and high beam. The lower halogen is for immediate front and side fill only in high-beam mode.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

Ok, so when you flash your highs on 02+ the halogen created the immediate burst of light? and for high beams left on, the projector assembly will rotate to make the HID beam face upward? Am I on track here? Is it rotating or is there a shutter that is opening?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cosmos - By the way, that silver disk that you see is the headlight washer. The lights have to be on and if you activate it, the disk pops up and the washer cleans the lights.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
Cosmos - By the way, that silver disk that you see is the headlight washer. The lights have to be on and if you activate it, the disk pops up and the washer cleans the lights.
No kidding, cool! I got a set of these lights at a swap meet to upgrade my car (haven't put 'em on yet) and wondered what that silver disk was.

Bill
Old 05-03-2007, 12:55 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Your labels are correct for an older Litronic car, but not for the 02+ Bi-Xenon lighting assembly you show in the picture. The upper Xenon reflector is both the low beam and high beam. The lower halogen is for immediate front and side fill only in high-beam mode.
So, which means mine being a 02, I have Bi-xenons.
And if I were to stand in front of the car when someone turns on the high beams, I will see the projector (which I marked LOW in the pic) angle upwards to shoot a high beam. At the same time, the lower halogen bulb (which I marked HIGH in the pic) will light up, not becoz' it's the high beam, but to fill the low beam which is now directed higher up.

Am I getting this right?

I need to get this straight once and for all. Others keep telling me that my 02 has Bi-xenons, but I keep telling them I don't coz' the high beam lever activates the lower halogen light, which is what confused me until now.

And All Bi-xenons are self-leveling, correct?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
No way...are you messing with me? I am not aware of that at all.
I have not seen a headlight washer switch in my car anywhere,
and all this while I thought the silver piece was a plug to cover the headlight washer option, which I don't have.

Can someone please confirm what it is?

Geez...just the headlights and there's so much confusion....
Old 05-03-2007, 01:39 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by NAvyC4S
Ok, so when you flash your highs on 02+ the halogen created the immediate burst of light? and for high beams left on, the projector assembly will rotate to make the HID beam face upward? Am I on track here? Is it rotating or is there a shutter that is opening?
The projectors don't rotate on an 02'+. In low beam mode, the shutters close to restrict and redirect light to the immediate front and sides of the car. In high-beam mode the shutters open directing all the light focused directly ahead. The halogen turns on to provide fill directly in front and to the sides where the HID would be projecting in low-beam mode.

You can do an interesting test to verify this. Pull your headlight assemblies out and unplug the cables to the halogens and put them back in. Then turn on your high beams. You will discover you have no lightening to the side or immediate front of the car and basically a very bright spot light at the distance.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

and all this while I thought the silver piece was a plug to cover the headlight washer option, which I don't have.

Do you know how to read? It is in the owners manual. If you pull the wiper switch toward you, the windshield washer activate. If you push it away from you, the headlight washers activate. Hence why there is a picture of a light indicator with squirters on top of it on the face of the washer stalk.

This is almost as bad as those who don't know the rearview mirror can tilt down in reverse or the seats and mirrors can automatically reposition themselves depending on which key is used. Yes there is some value to at least scanning through the owner's manual.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Cos - no he is not messing with you. You DO have headlight washers. As 02 Carrera stated, you push the windshield wiper stalk away from you to activate the headlifht washers, but the headlights must be illuminated (on) for the headlight washers to activate.

Or stated another way...
Old 05-03-2007, 05:01 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys! Good to learn something again.

I checked the manual out, and YES, I should have RTFM!
But you know, the wipers and washers are one of the things you'd skip coz' you kinda take those things for granted! After driving so many cars, you'd assume they're all the same!

Actually I did notice the icon on the wiper stalk, tried it but nothing worked, (of course, thinking back now, the headlights were not on) and seeing the silver discs on the headlights, they do look like plugs. So I assumed I didn't have the option and the silver discs were there to plug up the holes. Coz' headlight washers for other cars don't look like that at all, that is pretty cool design wise!

Now...I'm gonna try it out to see if my headlight washers work,
and I'm also gonna get the wife to flick the headlight beams to witness the function of the Bi-Xenons!

Thanks Again All!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:06 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting discussion. Didn't realize these lights were so hi-tech.

Now that we have all the headlight experts here, I have a few questions.

Did the 02 C4S come standard with bi-xenons or was it an option?

Can these be installed aftermarket? (If so, can anyone direct me to a thread here or at Renntech with information on this?)

Also want to confirm this - So if an 02 has the round silver headlight washer discs it definitely has bi-xenons (i.e. headlight washers were not a separate option also available with halogens)?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:32 PM
viper501
Instructor

1. option

2. yes but you apparently lose the self leveling, from what I understand but I could be wrong.

3. correct

Quick Reply: Litronics - All Bi-xenon?