Sponsored by:

Paint curing and avoiding rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 PM
signal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint curing and avoiding rock chips

I just had the front end of my car painted. I want to add a clear bra to it, and do obvious things like wax. I am told to not do clear bra until the paint is cured. BASF, the company that makes the paint system, says thats 60 days.

Long time to wait. Anyone have any tips on how to minimize rock chips during the 8 week wait to have a clear bra put on? I wonder if I hose the car each day if it will look good after 8 weeks of highway commuting.....since your not suppose to wax until cured.

Brian
Old 04-25-2007, 09:16 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious - did you do the bumper only, or did you have the hood painted as well? For me, I may have my bumper repainted, save the money and not do clear bra, and then I'll have the money if it needs to be painted again in the future.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Let it cure at least 60 days before waxing. Don't bother with the bra. Just keep it waxed properly. Cheaper to paint every few years if necessary.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:59 PM
CT03911
Banned

Just be very careful for 60-90 days. I would do the clear bra because I don't like the look of cars with rock chips. I do not mind a clear bra because it works and is very unobtrusive on the colors I have had.

You may want to call the paint manufacturer directly. I think you can wax on top of some new paints- no silicones ect. Worth checking. Seems everyone has an opinion, those guys should know.

I went through this with a new car this winter of all times. I got just one or two very small chips in hard to see places. Not perfect but not too bad. Pretty sure I waxed right away. The paint shop said the curing issues are gone with new paints vs wax. They did want me to wait on the bra for adhesion reasons.

For me this worked ok.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:00 AM
signal
Racer

I had the entire front painted, hood and all. I will find out about the wax.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 PM
alkemyst
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Let it cure at least 60 days before waxing. Don't bother with the bra. Just keep it waxed properly. Cheaper to paint every few years if necessary.
This works for those that don't drive their cars much...if this is your daily driver and you are cruising the highways; wax will not stop a rock/debris.

60 days can be a lot of mileage for some here.

Å
Old 04-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My rule of thumb: the heavier the vehicle is in front of me, the harder it will throw a rock at the windshield
Old 04-27-2007, 11:04 PM
rcronin
Advanced

I'm having my nose done next week as well as my rims.
Part of me wants the clear bra on the nose only and part of me thinks that a new nose job every 2 years is cheaper than the bra now. The nose job will be just a tick over 600.00 and the clear bra isn't cheap either. New nose shoot every 2 years....? I may go without the bra.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:48 AM
signal
Racer

I actually had the front of my car painted, just a few months before my accident. By the time of my accident (say 4 months after painting), there were so many rock chips it looked pretty bad.

The clear bra and repaint of the front may be close in price yes. However, that being said, do you want to drive your car around for 2 years with white rock chips in it? Or would you rather parts of the clear bra take it, which can be individually replaced (parts of the bra can be replaced 1 at a time).

Overall the image of the car will be better with the bra imho
Old 04-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the paint, had it cure for one day and put on the 3m film.

no issues whatsoever - i'll never take it off so i don't care what may happen. it's too much of a precaution and doesn't fit with my "lifestyle" - give me the keys i need to go drive
Old 04-28-2007, 11:52 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by signal
Anyone have any tips on how to minimize rock chips during the 8 week wait to have a clear bra put on?
Here's a tip: don't get stuck driving 75 behind a gravel truck on a highway while it's being resurfaced - like I did last week. My front bumper now looks like Edward James Olmos' face What the hell, it's only a car.

Quick Reply: Paint curing and avoiding rock chips