996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Uh-oh - seat mounts stripped! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:36 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Since when are helicoils temporary? As far as I can tell helicoils works better than even the original tap. The mechanics I know use them on everything and I just asked one and he said he's never had one come out. I know the one I had to do on the hole for a fuel injector hold down bolt it's done fine now after 50,000 miles. They're good enough for Boeing and NASA, then they're good enough for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wdonovan
Sorry, I misread the post as:
"I was putting my racing seat in today and noted that the front threads for the welded nut inside the frame are stripped - it's not the bolts, as I switched them and the back bolts go in quite well, just the fronts, and BOTH of them! CRAP!~ What can be done about this? I don't see how new bolt heads can be welded to the inside of the frame, so will I have to re-tap them and use larger bolts or what?"

I never saw the part about "couldn't get the bolt back in" because it's not in the post. Maybe the part about "ridiculous" wasn't called for. Can you live with "irresponsible"? Advising someone to repair a damaged fastener that secures a seat with Loctite is this at very least.
Mr. Donovan, you're absolutely right, I may have mis-interpreted the situation. And I never meant to imply that racing seats could be held in place without good threads. Now let's just end the drama.

Last edited by Macho Belly; 04-24-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Uh-oh - seat mounts stripped! HELP!