Sponsored by:

D.T. Pantera's

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 PM
ErnestTX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D.T. Pantera's

I know this is a pretty tough crowd around here so I thought I would inquire about DT Pantera's. Looked at a couple as a fun car before my wife gave me the 996 and got a new ride.

General impressions - decent up front price of admission, but a bunch of fun factor and for the hp. nuts, a good bit of mod-ability. Of course, in test driving a used vehicle, I really did not get to fully evaluate it.

Did not appear to have much depreciation left in the price, and perhaps a bit of up side/staying even.

Plus, they sound simply glorious.

Thoughts?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

They're certainly great cars to look at and ride in, though I haven't driven one. A bunch of Pantera guys take part in the Silver State Classic with pretty good success - try looking around on www.sscc.us to see photos and stories. Like you said, there's plenty of mod potential out of a Ford V8, though my observation is that they start to get marginal for cooling at higher levels of tune.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother has a NA Pantera that pumps out 500+hp. They have a ton of hp and tq and are relatively inexpensive to mod. However, prices for good Panteras has been edging upwards. As a car, it is not very practical and is relatively uncomfortable on long drives as the footwells are very tight. The footwells have the wheel arches cutting into it so you have to move your feet towards the center of the car.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:18 PM
su20
Advanced

Agree the sound is unbeatable. My dad had one for a couple years when I was between 14 and 16, but he sold it just before I got my license (like he would have let me drive it when I got my license!). Some of the most exciting rides of my life, without a doubt. First time ever going 150mph in a car.

Over the years they've been terrible investments (as far as collectible cars go), if I was looking for a classic car I probably wouldn't buy one. But as a relatively simple machine to wrench, with the uber-sounding pushrod and decent shifting ZF trans, I think it would be a great car to tinker with. And drive fast.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:45 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

What is the price of admission to a Pantera? I quite like them (though there are so many models it's hard to figure out which Pantera is the one I like the most).
Old 04-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw a few sites, 50-65K for a good one
Old 04-22-2007, 03:35 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh. Not as low as I thought (but as low as I have found). Considering the going rate for 996's today I thought maybe the ones I had found were concours examples and that a normal good one would be like 30k...darn.

Quick Reply: D.T. Pantera's