Sponsored by:

Oil fill, coolant residue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:00 PM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil fill, coolant residue

A great day of wash and drive; finally mother nature has remembered what season it is in NJ.

It was time to add some oil, and visually inspect.

After removing the cap, I noticed residue (like baby spitup) sitting in the shaft.

Also, my coolant resevoir has "cake" around the cap and I see it is low.

Your input is appreciated,

Gary

2004 CAB
Black/Basalt
Old 04-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

You should replace your coolant cap, especially if you are steadily losing small amounts of coolant. Not sure about the oil - I think a little foam is OK but beyond that, not sure.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

The oil vomit is from moisture condensation in the crankcase. Cold start-ups when the car is parked outside can cause this, or if the car is driven for short periods of time. Not a big deal, looks bad, but it is not. Just wipe it off of the oil filler cap if it bugs you. Or take it out and drive the **** out of the car for a few hours, that will get rid of the moisture too!

The crud around the coolant expansion tank cap is dried coolant. Make sure that your cap has a part number that ends in -01 or higher. Early caps had a sealing problem. The other issue is that the cap is not fully closed. Take the cap off, clean its threads, and the tank's threads, then spray a little silicone lubricant on the threads of the cap and on the rubber gasket in the bottom of the cap.

When screwing on the cap, make sure that it stops with the cross on the cap at 12/3/6/9 position. Many times the cap gasket binds just as it seats, and the cap is not turned the last 1/8th of a turn. This can cause the coolant to weep out.

Lubricating the cap makes it easier to close it fully.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

entirely normal-- it is condensation indicative of short trips. my dealer said all 911's, whether air or water cooled, exhibit this trait.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:30 PM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Great, thanks much!!

Quick Reply: Oil fill, coolant residue