Sponsored by:

aftermarket warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
bzalforno
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aftermarket warranty

does anyone have experience to determine which of the web based companies really pay on a claim? or which ones to sat away from?
i am hunting for a 996 c4s 2002-2004 with xenons.
thanks
bob
Old 04-18-2007, 12:46 AM
viper501
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YMMV but most of the aftermarket warranties are not worth half of the cost of the paper that they are printed on. In my experience, they tend to do whatever is possible to deny claims. They also can evaporate, i.e. go out of business and close up shop, without warning or consequence. If you are going to get one, make sure that you do research on them, and whoever is their underwriter.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:59 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup....agreed....I would buy a car from a Porsche dealer that extra few thousand a aftermarket warranty would cost can be put into a car with a Porsche CPO warranty and you are guaranteed ALOT...for example services have to be done, brakes, tires, clutch, etc have to be at least 50% or better or they are replaced, car is guaranteed not to have been wrecked, and you have a 2 year warranty up to 100k miles as well.....mine was great, actaully paid for a new engine as well as other things....I got the car for below blue book price as well, so you can get a good deal at a Porsche dealer....
Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Ask the dealer you plan to have it serviced at which warranty they recommend. I know the one my dad got with his car has about 60% paid for itself in less than a year of being in effect. If the dealer recommends it, they likely have never had any trouble getting a claim filled.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Ranger
Advanced

I bought an aftermarket warranty recently. Have not had to use it yet. My suggestion would be to pay the extra $ to get the expensive "exclusionary" and not the cheaper "inclusionary". Exclusionary is similar to an OEM warranty where everything is covered except for what is expressly listed in the agreement as not covered, like tires, clutch, brake pads, and engine wear due to "fair wear and tear". Inclusionary only covers what they specifically cite as covered. With an inclusionary warranty you can easily end up in a struggle over what is covered. Fewer struggles with an exclusion based warranty.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM
dave1200
Pro

I got an extended with my car.. 24/24 . It was around $2k
Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dave1200
I got an extended with my car.. 24/24 . It was around $2k
Ditto! GE AWS, so they are not going out of business anytime soon. Includes all electronics, suspension bits, and seals.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I still say WarrantyDirect.com is the best aftermarket out there. Although, I have not had to use them, just what I have read. AND NO, I DON'T believe EVERYTHING I read...unless Dell says it..
Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also got a 20k/24Mo for $1,800. I've used already saved me about $600 in repairs so far - When I bought the warranty I asked my mechanic if he would charge the warranty co. directly... that makes such a difference. I just pay the $200 deductible.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Ramp
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

This is what I can tell you from my current and only experience. I bought a 1 year full extended with the car for about $1300. So far they have given me no issue with the following:

1. $600 O2 sensors
2. $1500 -Cam cover seepage repair
3. $1500- replacement of the entire instrument cluster - going in tomorrow.
4. TBD -already spoke to them about the fact that I have slight seepage at the gear selector seal. Problem is there is currently no replacement seal available. Thus, my view is that they need to replace the entire gearbox - what Porsche would do - since I'm not going to wait until after the warranty is over to then have my tranny go.

Company is CNA in Scottsdale

CNA has now covered:
5. Entire cluster replacement
6. Door handle switch unit that controls the up/down feature when the door opens/closes to provide a good seal

Last edited by Ramp; 04-19-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-18-2007, 11:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
This is what I can tell you from my current and only experience. I bought a 1 year full extended with the car for about $1300. So far they have given me no issue with the following:

1. $600 O2 sensors
2. $1500 -Cam cover seepage repair
3. $1500- replacement of the entire instrument cluster - going in tomorrow.
4. TBD -already spoke to them about the fact that I have slight seepage at the gear selector seal. Problem is there is currently no replacement seal available. Thus, my view is that they need to replace the entire gearbox - what Porsche would do - since I'm not going to wait until after the warranty is over to then have my tranny go.

Company is CNA in Scottsdale
You mean company WAS CNA! By the time you get finished...
Old 04-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Ramp
Pro

Originally Posted by AndyK
You mean company WAS CNA! By the time you get finished...
They don't necessarily have a great attitude, but if you stay professional, they pay - which is what I paid for.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Irksome
Racer

I bought from a Porsche dealer. Company is Universal, and the dealer promises that Universal is going to pay just like the Porsche warranty. I'll let y'all know when I have a claim if this was a true representation.

I paid $3884 for 72 months and 60,000 miles (I was at 9,500 when I bought it, so I'm good to almost 70k). This is on a 2003 C2. This was an exclusion warranty, and the exclusions were all wear items.

I checked with my independent mechanic, and they had nothing bad to say about Universal. But who knows?

My options were limited as I reside in California, which recently (last few years?) changed the laws regarding extended warranties to require all vendors be 'real' insurance companies, and a few other restrictions, to prevent the fly by night companies from taking the money and going bankrupt. I could not find any options except those sold at Porsche dealers. I evaluated two, and chose Universal.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Ramp
Pro

Default Update

CNA has now covered a new cluster and the door switch that was malfunctioning on the open/close feature that drops the window so you get a proper seal after the door closes - I'll post more about this on an old thread on this problem.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:08 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

I have a warranty direct warranty www.warrantydirect.com and i have read nothing but good reviews about them. I had to go with them because they are the ONLY aftermarket warranty company that is licensed to warranty cars in California as an independant. This does not include warrantys bought through a dealer.

Quick Reply: aftermarket warranty