Sponsored by:

filling the tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 AM
PJunkie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default filling the tank

I am sure this question proves my status as a newbie but here goes.

Has anyone had difficulty getting the fuel tank to fill up? I have tried a number of angles and the nozzle on every gas pump automatically shuts nearly every gallon or half gallon. Eventually it fills up, but it is a struggle.

I have tried it myself in NY as well as while passing through NJ where it is mandatory full service. The attendants there have had trouble too.

Is it my tank (BTW-way too small)? Or the angle going in just has to be correctly found? Or is there something like a secret handshake that no one has told me yet?

tiny bit of help please.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:29 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I've never had this problem, filling the tank has never been an issue. However, past experience with other cars (non Porsches) leads me to believe that your air vent is plugged. There needs to be a way for the air to escape, if the tube or opening is plugged you may have this issue.

Has your car been in an accident which would damage the fill tube or dented it in some way?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:01 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, never had this problem.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 AM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had this problem... something is going on... I would have it checked.

also go to a full serve and let them pump it, but don't say anything... see what the gas station guys experience.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 AM
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by silverstutt
also go to a full serve and let them pump it, but don't say anything... see what the gas station guys experience.
Full serve, wow, I haven't seen that in YEARS! Must be an east coast thing? No such thing in California in the last 20 years...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:36 AM
bernocco930S
Racer

Full service???? Check out the Porsche mechanic I found here in So Cal to do my X-73 suspension upgrade...... WOW! Talk about FULL service
Attached Images    
Old 04-10-2007, 03:14 AM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Irksome
Full serve, wow, I haven't seen that in YEARS! Must be an east coast thing? No such thing in California in the last 20 years...
Yeah in S Marino at Larry's Station, used tol do that... (corner of garfield and huntigton Dr) he has moved 3 months ago and I bet he still does it.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:41 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Irksome
I'm on the east coast and I haven't seen a full service station in over 10 years!
Full service stations are for the handicapped.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 AM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
I'm on the east coast and I haven't seen a full service station in over 10 years!
just like four wheel drives!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

you're alone on this one.....
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PJunkie
I am sure this question proves my status as a newbie but here goes.

Has anyone had difficulty getting the fuel tank to fill up? I have tried a number of angles and the nozzle on every gas pump automatically shuts nearly every gallon or half gallon. Eventually it fills up, but it is a struggle.

I have tried it myself in NY as well as while passing through NJ where it is mandatory full service. The attendants there have had trouble too.

Is it my tank (BTW-way too small)? Or the angle going in just has to be correctly found? Or is there something like a secret handshake that no one has told me yet?

tiny bit of help please.
It could be that your E6 fuse is blown. Check out these two threads for more info. The second one gives a little more info from 99firehawk (a Porsche tech) about the problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=flap

Old 04-10-2007, 12:04 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.

Some states on the east coast mandate full serve gas stations - NJ for one, and I believe parts (but
not all?) of Massachusetts... I used to travel out to Boston for work every week and the gas stations
on the way back to Logan to fill up the rent-a-wreck were all full serve..

- Nick
Old 04-10-2007, 12:06 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.

just like four wheel drives!
Spoken like someone from Pasadena. Try driving around in a snowstorm at 10K feet in the middle
of the night sometime, or even just around town here in Boulder after we've had 2 feet and we're
letting our legendary "passive solar snow removal technique*" work... you'll change your mind.

- N

* i.e. Let it melt.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:11 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by gota911
It could be that your E6 fuse is blown. Check out these two threads for more info. The second one gives a little more info from 99firehawk (a Porsche tech) about the problem.

Great... one learns something everyday.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 PM
rmillnj
Racer

I get the same problem every once in awhile. It comes and goes. My 1999 C2 has never been in an accident, has no blown fuses, and nothing is bent or in any way damaged in the whole system as far as I know. But for some reason every once in awhile the car just doesn't want to take gas.

Here in NJ we don't have self serve. When the problem happens I usually just get out and hold the nozzle myself and it pumps fine. I find that as long as I am holding the nozzle and letting the gas go in straight, no problem. Normally this happens once or twice and then I will go weeks or months with normal fill-ups with no problem.

I have had similiar problems with other cars. I just think it is the way you stick the nozzle in. I find putting it in all the way makes the difference. When you have different people doing your fill-up they don't all do it quite the same way. I would not worry about it too much. In my car it comes and goes and I can't detect any discernible cause other than different gas station attendents and the way they put the nozzle in. I think if I was doing it myself all of the time there would be no problem.

Quick Reply: filling the tank