Sponsored by:

Front End Lift - Fix ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Ramp
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Front End Lift - Fix ?

Was just reading the fascinating "How much "better" is a 2002-2004 996 compared to a 1999-2000?" and came across this comment - "Taking care of the front end lift on the 99 is as easy as installing ROW 030 (should come standard IMHO!!)"

Would really like to know more. My front end seems light at 60 plus. I thought it was just a result of the front dam and the characteristics of the car - would love to be able to plant the front end down much more. I had my shop take a drive and they feel it's as it should be.

Any guidance ?

It's a '99 C2 w/ SSK, Cold air intake, Fabspeed exhaust.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:17 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

How was it prior to installing the front air dam?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Ramp
Pro

I bought it as is last August - 1st P-Car - although I drove 1969 911S many times - very different animals. I was very surprised at the unsteady handling characteristics on the highway. Around town, it's rock solid.

Although someone advised me that the front air dam was an add on, and not the factory aero, I have since checked and can confirm that the lower lip is not an add on and is an integral part of the entire front bumper.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:21 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
I bought it as is last August - 1st P-Car - although I drove 1969 911S many times - very different animals. I was very surprised at the unsteady handling characteristics on the highway. Around town, it's rock solid.

Although someone advised me that the front air dam was an add on, and not the factory aero, I have since checked and can confirm that the lower lip is not an add on and is an integral part of the entire front bumper.
Even though the lower lip is an integral part of your bumper, the fact is that it is not a factory piece. This means that it may not have gone through wind tunnel testing that Porsche performs on the factory aerokit. While it may have been intended to produce additional downforce it may actually be doing the opposite. You just never know with aftermarket kits.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock my front seamed light....after pss9's its rock solid...mine is a 99 C4 cab
Old 03-31-2007, 01:20 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a US Spec 2000 C4 996 here in Germnay. After I first received my Porsche I too felt the front was too light when driving at high speeds and installed the ROW 0030 on my car. Was money well spent and solved the problem. It will lower your car some, not too much, which in my opinion looks better. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Ramp
Pro

Originally Posted by programmatore
E While it may have been intended to produce additional downforce it may actually be doing the opposite. You just never know with aftermarket kits.
Agreed - and since I haven't driven a 996 w/ a factory aero, I have nothing to compare with. Are the only options on possible fix (1) remove the front and replace w/ factory Aero and/or (2) install new struts etc. ?
Old 03-31-2007, 02:14 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its on the original shocks...they could be worn anyway....8 years is a long time for a set of shocks....otherwise yes the way to get rid of it is suspension....if you want the best ride and to get rid of it, go with PSS9's....if you are not so concerned abou the ride ROW M030, is not bad, X74, is more stiff...
Old 03-31-2007, 02:38 PM
evansaero
Pro

Just a thought…

When was the last alignment?
I thought I had the same problem and was thinking about spend thousands of dollars to fix the problem; thinking it was the suspension that was going bad. Going over 100 MPH was not any fun. Also driving in the rain sucked. The car was light and twitchy above 80 MPH

I decided to try an alignment as I noticed that the camber was out for the rears. I ask how bad the alignment was out and the dealer stated it was not too bad.

After The alignment I can say what a difference. High speeds of up to 115 MPH and no more lightness in the front. Driving in the rain now is rock solid. Biggest difference is no more twitch.

I really don’t know if that is your problem but it’s a lot cheaper than spending money on a new setup if you don’t really need it

$108 (that was what it cost at my dealer) and 1 hour of you time will rule it out
Old 03-31-2007, 03:00 PM
AsianImage
Racer

this is my first P car...and I was lucky enough to buy my car with the factory aero kit and RoW M030 and man the car is perfect at freeway speeds. Top down or not...unlike any car I have ever owned period.

I would take what the everyone has said above and pick and choose the best solution for you. They all seem legitimate reasons...old shocks...aftermarket lip...etc. All reason for the lift you are feeling.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:39 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a lower lip under the bumper and you will be fine.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:56 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Put a lower lip under the bumper and you will be fine.
As a designer... I've always been torn... although I like the more artsy-craftsy, campy, overdone design of the 02

Oh my... I have the earlier front end design...

beautiful car! congrats!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:21 PM
krisd
Instructor

I have a 99 and have never noticed any issues in the 70 to 120 range. Mine was originally delivered in Canada, but I believe it is the same as the US cars.

I am not an engineer, but just looking at the front spoiler on your car I would have to imagine it behaves much differently than mine. I would talk with a shop that specializes in upgrades to make sure that you shouldn't be adding either suspension or other changes such as a rear wing or side skirts to work properly with the different spoiler in the front.

Have you checked your tire pressure?

Kris
Old 03-31-2007, 07:28 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
I agree, driving my 3.2 Carrera and the 996 back to back is a very different experience.

How are your tires? When I bought my car, it had Pirelli PZero Assymetricos all around and it had a flat when I picked it up. Long story, but that was the last straw and the owner just dumped the car. I needed rear tires fast and a friends shop had Federals in stock in the right size. I had them installed and I was off. The old Pirellis were still on the front and the car was very darty and tramlined and I thought something was wrong with it. I won a set of new rims and tires on ebay and waited almost 8 weeks for them to arrive. I installed them as soon as it arrived and the car drove perfectly! There was no more dartiness and tramlining. The tires on the rims wouldn't be my first choice, but they were already there. The Nexen tires seem okay, but I only have 200 miles on them. All I can say is they drive better than what was on it!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:33 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll add to this discussion by saying that my bone stock 2000 C2 is rock steady at 130 mph. No drama at all. I'm guessing that your car needs an alignment and may also be negatively affected by that aftermarket spoiler up front.

Quick Reply: Front End Lift - Fix ?