Sponsored by:

Front End Lift - Fix ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp

I should probably start a new thread on this but how expensive and common is slow seepage from the CAM covers. I'm getting some along with, guesstimate, 1/2 teaspoon of drops on the driveway after a good run.

Since 8/06 I added about 25miles and have gone down 2 bars on the oil level meter. Haven't ad ded any.
Are you sure its the cam covers. Could the oil be coming from the spark plug tubes. That is where I would start... Take pictures and post and pull the metel cover that protects the coil packs and see if the leak is coming from there.

Some of the other guys should be able to give some great advise on this.

Before I did my spark plugs I noticed an oil leak coming from this area. 4 out of 6 tubes were leaking and would drip on the ground. Just a thought before you spend money for the indy shop to fix.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Ramp
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evansaero
Are you sure its the cam covers. Could the oil be coming from the spark plug tubes. That is where I would start... Take pictures and post and pull the metel cover that protects the coil packs and see if the leak is coming from there.
I'll let you know -I'm bringing her in this morning for an alignment and to check the seepage issue.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Ramp
Pro

Thumbs up

Thanks to all. Just got my alignment done and it's like driving a different car. 100+ and rock steady. My indy said I was off somewhat significantly. Now I've got a bug to go for the PSS9's.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:31 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that's great to hear! Now you know how good these cars really feel. Alignments are so critical on these cars.

So, are you in love again?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Ramp
Pro

Yes, and since I 'think' I've decided to keep the car, I'm going to take care of a few things:
- Add PSS9's;
- Rims
- Fix Cam Cover seepage
- Smooth out the SSK somehow - slightly too notchy for me
Old 04-06-2007, 01:23 PM
evansaero
Pro

Glad to see it worked out
Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Blackness
Pro

Just read through this thread. And yes it sounded like an alignment issue to me before I got to the punchline. I read somewhere recently, and I can't remember where, that even a couple of tenth's of a degree can make a huge difference.

My MY2000 C4 with the US sport suspension feels more planted at 100-120 than it does at 60.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:17 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
Was just reading the fascinating "How much "better" is a 2002-2004 996 compared to a 1999-2000?" and came across this comment - "Taking care of the front end lift on the 99 is as easy as installing ROW 030 (should come standard IMHO!!)"

Would really like to know more. My front end seems light at 60 plus. I thought it was just a result of the front dam and the characteristics of the car - would love to be able to plant the front end down much more. I had my shop take a drive and they feel it's as it should be.

Any guidance ?

It's a '99 C2 w/ SSK, Cold air intake, Fabspeed exhaust.

High-speed stability is a US problem with all 996's, not just a 99-00, with the front end getting light. There are suspension improvements and significant reductions in lift in the 02', but the problem is stilll there. This has to do with the increases ride height in front and the soft suspension for the US. Changing the suspension to a ROW M030, X73 or PSS9 easily fixes the problem. This problem is normally noticeable at speeds of 130+. Problems at 60 mph is not normal with the stock suspension. I would recommend to have your alignment checked first, then suspension components for wear and tires.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Ramp
Pro

Thanks again - the alignment helped significantly - I'll know more today when I go for a good run. I still feel some unsteadiness which I'm now attributing to the 66k mile stock suspension and possibly to the fact that the tires and suspension "got used to" being out of alignment. The tires are good with plenty of tread and I'll see how it feels after I wear them down a little with the new alignment. I'm also pulling for the Pss9 group buy !

This is a great site for info and learning !

Quick Reply: Front End Lift - Fix ?