Sponsored by:

Clutch Replacement - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement - DIY

Has anyone replaced their own clutch? I have replaced clutches in several of my own cars before and consider myself pretty mechanically savvy.

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it for the $4-500 labor savings?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 PM
rleeq
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish it only cost $400 to $500 for the labor. I was charged for 8 hours at $102.50 per hour. Here’s a link to a RMS replacement for which you have to remove the clutch. Good luck.
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/996rms/rms1.php
Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I intend to do this when the time comes. I view it as a chance to inspect everything else previously hidden by the engine/tranny. Things that need cleaning get cleaned on my schedule and parts showing wear get replaced. Because of this, a clutch replacement on my 993 would probably take a few weeks...

Andreas
Old 03-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read through the procedure in the manual. I've done many more complex and involved jobs than that and will do mine when the time comes. Doesn't look nearly as bad as a 944 turbo clutch replacement to me.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:29 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

There is a great write up on the web of a RMS DIY. Based on that a clutch replacement looks pretty easy if you are experienced with a wrench. I will see if I can find it. It isnt on a porsche site.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Here is it is, with picutures.
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/996rms/rms1.php
Old 03-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine along with the RMS/IMS/Casebolts and it's not bad. The only real difference between the Pcar and other cars is the removal of the half-shafts as well...

It always helps to have air tools and lift. I wouldnt do this without a lift....
Old 03-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clutch replacement is a subset of RMS repair

Most dealer techs can change out an RMS/IMS seal from the time the car drives in the bay to the time it drives out in under 3 hours, and an hour of that is the actual seal replacement and a break! If a car is in at 8 am it usually done by lunch.

I find it outrageous that people are charged 8+ hours labor to replace a clutch plate when the actual effort is 2-3 hours.

Changing out a clutch is not that hard at all, even if the flywheel needs to be resurfaced. The actual time might be longer because the flywheel has to go to a machine shop, but the labor is still 2-3 hours to do the entire clutch replacement.

For those of you contemplating a clutch replacement, be sure to challenge the estimate, and don't settle for anything more than 3-4 hours labor.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:34 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Orient, can you recommend and 'honest' dealer in the bayarea when it comes to labor time estimates?
AA
Old 03-29-2007, 04:52 PM
AsianImage
Racer

Orient..good info...the only problem I foresee is the service person disagreeing with us. Isnt it my word against his? If I get quoted 8 hours how can I argue and say it is really a 3-4 hour job?

I would love this info because I plan on doing my 30K and switching out my clutch for the EVO Stage 2 Clutch and light weight flywheel. going to do the RMS while back there....

Thanks in advance...

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Most dealer techs can change out an RMS/IMS seal from the time the car drives in the bay to the time it drives out in under 3 hours, and an hour of that is the actual seal replacement and a break! If a car is in at 8 am it usually done by lunch.

I find it outrageous that people are charged 8+ hours labor to replace a clutch plate when the actual effort is 2-3 hours.

Changing out a clutch is not that hard at all, even if the flywheel needs to be resurfaced. The actual time might be longer because the flywheel has to go to a machine shop, but the labor is still 2-3 hours to do the entire clutch replacement.

For those of you contemplating a clutch replacement, be sure to challenge the estimate, and don't settle for anything more than 3-4 hours labor.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

The challenge that everyone will face is that the dealer will quote you the official time to install a clutch not the actual time. It will take some horse trading to get them down to the real time. If they can get away with charging you book, then busting it out in their regular time, it is extra gravy for them. I would not go above 4 hours which is the best you will probably do. Be sure to ask them what they have the RMS replacement down to, and you can quote me that Stevens Creek Porsche routinely does RMS replacements in under 4 hours. Heck they even did an engine swap for me in under 4!

As far as dealers go, Here in the Bay area, they are all good, but I would try Rector as your best value.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 PM
AsianImage
Racer

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The challenge that everyone will face is that the dealer will quote you the official time to install a clutch not the actual time. It will take some horse trading to get them down to the real time. If they can get away with charging you book, then busting it out in their regular time, it is extra gravy for them. I would not go above 4 hours which is the best you will probably do. Be sure to ask them what they have the RMS replacement down to, and you can quote me that Stevens Creek Porsche routinely does RMS replacements in under 4 hours. Heck they even did an engine swap for me in under 4!

As far as dealers go, Here in the Bay area, they are all good, but I would try Rector as your best value.
Excellent info...PERFECT! Thank you!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 PM
rleeq
Racer

Service manual quote 350 TU (or 3 hours 50 minutes) but it didn't help me. The Porsche service department I use is very aggressive at making the sale; 8 hours for clutch, $950 to change cracked coolant tank and the quoted me 12 hours to install the M030 suspension kit which took me 10 hours to do and I never done it before!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:17 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rear main seal under porsche warrenty time is
3,7 hrs for r&i tranny
1.4 to r&r rms (includes pressure plate clutch and flywhell r&i)
.6 to clean the engine
.3 to clean the trans
.1 to clean the clucth
1.1 to r&i the intermediat shaft support
99-01 cars will also need to have to remove the ac compressor removed and the chain tensioners removed
for 1.4
no dealer is going to do it for less then warrenty times
and anything over warrenty is extra money for the tech and the dealer, thats called a mark up its normal bussiness, you dont sell products for what you pay for them you wouldnt be a long lived or profitable businnes
Old 11-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm helping a friend look for a 996 - he just had a PPI done on one... they couldn't find much wrong, but quoted over $2k (10 hours of labor) for an RMS change. Zoiks!

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement - DIY