Sponsored by:

Difficulty of 99 911 oil change....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911

I think I’d rather have the floor get covered in hot oil than have to buy adult diapers at the grocery store.

Also, clay based kitty litter makes an inexpensive absorbent, if you do spill a little bit.
Reason I put porcelain tile down with black grout in my garage.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:13 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

It amazes me how many have trouble with drain plugs...
Old 11-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
It amazes me how many have trouble with drain plugs...
On the Tacoma forums, at least once a month there is a "I accidentally drained my tranny fluid instead of my engine oil" thread, which I find hilarious. I'm sure it's quite worrisome for the poor saps who do it since there is no dipstick or fill plug on the transmissions on these trucks, you have to fill the transmission by pumping fluid back in via the drain plug, which is exactly as messy as it sounds.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:40 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sula
Yes. It's almost inconceivable that you could not successfully remove a drain plug this way.

I'm puzzled by this issue of hard-to-remove oil drain plugs. When installing one, you need only enough torque to lightly compress the aluminum washer / crush ring. This should mean that it can be removed with the strength of one hand. It helps to have a little bit of oil on the washer (hard to avoid, actually), and of course a tool that fits snugly.

I'd guess that the torque necessary to make the removal job tough is something like 3 times as much as should be used.

As for installing the filter, I've always used oil on the seal and not quite the maximum torque I can apply with one hand; never had one leak. This occasionally requires some help from a second hand to remove - but never a wrench.
They're not hard to remove. But the plugs are so soft (especially the magnet ones) that the hole for the hex gets stripped very quickly if you do not use the appropriate torque (19 ft/lbs for LNs magnet one). And even then, these are wear items and if you feel like the hex is slipping, you need to order a new plug. As for the oil flter, my housing has 25 NM stamped on it, which is almost exactly the same torque value as the magnet plugs.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:39 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sula
As for installing the filter, I've always used oil on the seal and not quite the maximum torque I can apply with one hand; never had one leak. This occasionally requires some help from a second hand to remove - but never a wrench.
Interestingly enough, I had a buddy recently have a spin on filter blow the rubber gasket out one side and dump all it's oil. Filter was still tight, but you could see the rubber gasket sticking out the side and sure enough, when we spun it off the gasket had been pushed out. I've never seen anything like it. In this case it was an M96 3.4L engine, with LN adaptor and Napa Gold spin on filter, that had been on the car for nearly 3000 kms and 2 full track days. Blew out driving down the street less than a km from home at no more than 3-4000 rpm. Weird.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:52 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Interestingly enough, I had a buddy recently have a spin on filter blow the rubber gasket out one side and dump all it's oil. Filter was still tight, but you could see the rubber gasket sticking out the side and sure enough, when we spun it off the gasket had been pushed out. I've never seen anything like it. In this case it was an M96 3.4L engine, with LN adaptor and Napa Gold spin on filter, that had been on the car for nearly 3000 kms and 2 full track days. Blew out driving down the street less than a km from home at no more than 3-4000 rpm. Weird.
Wow, talk about code brown. He is following up with LN regarding this? I'd be interested in what happened on that one.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:28 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
Wow, talk about code brown. He is following up with LN regarding this? I'd be interested in what happened on that one.
No, nothing to do with the adaptor. It's o-ring held firm and sealing surface was perfect.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a puppy training pad under the oil catch pan. Absorbant and does not leak through. Also make sure your catch pan can hold over 10 qts.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

You guys drive Porsches! Are you not men? You're afraid of buying adult diapers????? Would you not buy tampons for your gal in a pinch?? Really??? TOUGHEN UP! Women have NO problem buying ANYTHING. They would buy you whatever it is you need but you cant?? Not man enuff?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:54 AM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used these on my boat. They're handy to have in the garage too.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...06?recordNum=1
Old 11-25-2018, 09:39 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Gently Pound a torx bit into it.

Quick Reply: Difficulty of 99 911 oil change....