Sponsored by:

Air bag light---

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:27 PM
roger's 2937
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag light---

---just came on and I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to reset it without taking it to a dealer. The nearest one is nearly 200 miles away. They said it may be a short problem in the seat belt buckle/s but has no affect on the operation of the air bags so there isn't a safety issue. My car is a '02 C2.

Thanks-Roger B.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:29 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Faced this issue on my Boxster and had to take it into the mechanic (indy) to reset. He said that it cannot be reset on its own. It recurred after the first reset so I replaced the seat belt latch mechanism which solved the problem.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:43 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

U can read and turn off the code with a Durametric code reader
Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 PM
egress91506
Advanced

I had a similar problem with my Boxster. I bought the software (and hardware) from Durametric and turned off the light with it. Software is useful to pull the codes when the check engine light comes on as well. I think it costs ~$250.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
QueenCityCarrera4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had mine in the dealer last week for a CEL and AIRBAG light. They said the airbag was more than likely a seatbelt issue as they told you. They reset for FREE and so far the light has stayed off.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:48 PM
rbjbbb
Instructor

Rog,
My light came on about 6 months ago. Rode with it for 3 or 4 months after dealer told me it likely is not affecting the actual deployment of the airbag.
Got tired of seeing it and had dealer fix it. It was the known seatbelt latch (drivers side in my case). I think my fix ran about $250+/- which was replacing the seat belt latch with a new one and I guess resetting the light.
RB
Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

There is a TSB for this to replace the connectors for the airbag which are located in your seat belt....I had mine done under warranty and a couple of years later the airbag light comes on. Durametric code reader tells me it's the driver's side seat belt that is faulty. Instead of getting a new belt I just cleaned all the connections with Dexoit--great tip from a fellow member on renntech--and that was a couple of months ago and no light no problem.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Depending on year/model, read the info at this page. I wrote it up many years ago when my (since gone) '99 went through one of the first US problems with this.

The AIRBAG LIGHT saga...

Many Porsche owners have experienced the Airbag Light problem - the airbag light comes on when one starts the vehicle, but instead of vanishing like the other warning lights, it remains on until the car is turned off.

This happened to me, and the story is worth reading by any Porsche owner. It is not intended to reflect negatively on Porsche in any way. I took delivery of my '99 996 Cab in November '98. On day three, the airbag light came on and stayed on. Apparently, this has happened to other owners.

When I took the car to the dealer's service manager, they were aware of a problem with the airbag light, but only had one bulletin on the "fix" for it - change the seatbelt receptacles.

The PST2 (Porsche System Tester) indicated fault #45 - driver's side seatbelt. The service technician carefully replaced the driver's side seatbelt receptacle, reset the fault, and I left without the airbag light remaining on.

About one week later, the light returned. When the technician checked the PST2, it again showed fault #45, but this time, the passenger side receptacle was changed.

A few weeks later, it happened again. By this time I was getting a little angry, and I asked if the dealer "tech line" had any resolution ideas. The only information coming from Porsche was a change in the seatbelt receptacles, and the new ones should be on their way soon. The new parts have a "C" in their part #.

Once the new ones arrived, my dealer replaced both front receptacles with the new ones. About two weeks later, the airbag light came on again. When I finally spoke with the district service rep, he informed me of a few similar instances where this problem was resolved by enhancing the contact point between the seatbelt receptacles and the frame of the car.

On this fourth fix, I had the solder enhancement added. About two days later, the light came back on. In frustration, I posted numerous questions to the various Porsche chat boards. I also began my own effort at contacting other dealers.

In my quest for an answer, another dealer told me that on early VIN# Boxsters there was a bulletin for changing the wiring harness under the seats. I asked my dealer and district service rep about this, and they agreed that it was worth a try.

So, on the fifth try, the dealer pulled both front seats and replaced the wiring harness, soldering in new sections as per the '98 bulletin. To date, there has been no reference to any other failures of this magnitude.

I am glad to report that since the repair, I have put well over 1000 miles on the car and it is still airbag-light-free. It seems like mine was an isolated case, but I know this has happened to others.

If your 1999 Porsche continues to show the airbag light there are some steps you should follow:

1) First be aware that the airbag module is STILL active, even with the light on
2) Take the car to an authorized Porsche dealer and have the car checked with the PST2 for faults.
3) If you get fault #45, ask the dealer to change out both seatbelt receptacles
4) If the problem comes back after seatbelt receptacle replacement, inquire about the wiring harness. Dealer should be aware of the early VIN# Boxster bulletin, but check to be sure. If not, have dealer contact their district service rep or PCNA.
5) Get the wiring harnesses replaced - takes about 30 minutes
6) Replace the Airbag Control Module

You should be fine after these fixes. I post this not to hammer Porsche - they really did work wonders - I had PAG and PCNA involved on this, and they were more than willing to do whatever it took to get it resolved - but I post this only in hopes that it may help other owners.

A huge thanks to Steve Riley (PCNA) and Hendrick Porsche (dealer - Charlotte) for their efforts to get this problem corrected! The TSB in case your dealer can find it, is #692450102.80TU.

UPDATE 2003:
New buckles come as part of an update kit that involves replacement of both buckles and a wire harness modification to individualize the ground signal to both buckles. The new buckles must have a "D" or greater in the part number. The repair takes about two hours and is normally covered by Porsche on all vehicles in or out of warranty

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-20-2007, 12:31 PM
roger's 2937
Instructor

Thanks for the great information. MC_Renn-What disassembly/cleaning process did you go thru to correct your problem? I think I'll try that first.

Thanks again-Roger B.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:48 PM
pl
Drifting

or you can try electrical contact cleaning first, before spending big $$ at the dealer.

...Then I had an idea. I didn't recall reading any thread here about cleaning the contacts. So, I sprayed both belt buckle recepticles liberally with DeoxIT D5 (using the small red tube to direct the spray), and I elevated only the passenger seat and sprayed all the electrical junctions I could find where wires from the seat belt connected. I'm used to being fussy about electrical contact cleaning for improved sound in my stereo and home theater system (yes it really does make a difference, and yes sometimes you can hear a difference, particularly in the high frequency sounds)....

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...airbag+contact
Old 03-20-2007, 12:55 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

Originally Posted by roger's 2937
Thanks for the great information. MC_Renn-What disassembly/cleaning process did you go thru to correct your problem? I think I'll try that first.

Thanks again-Roger B.

Hi Roger:

Just follow the link that PL just posted. You can find Dexoit at stores that sell musical instruments. I just gave a quick spary to the driver's side seat belt and if you look underneath the driver's side seat the airbag module and seat belt connectors are there and I just did a quick spray of the connectors. Let it sit and dry out, clear the code, and start your car and enjoy. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:59 PM
pl
Drifting

sorry guys...

RennTech.org will be offline for about 30 minutes for service maintenance.
Thank you for your patience!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:40 AM
njim3
Instructor

I had that happen for my Cab last month. I took it to dealer, they replaced buckle module. It costs me $741.

Jim
Old 03-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to read the code - the code will tell you which buckle is giving the intermittent reading.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
UPDATE 2003:
New buckles come as part of an update kit that involves replacement of both buckles and a wire harness modification to individualize the ground signal to both buckles. The new buckles must have a "D" or greater in the part number. The repair takes about two hours and is normally covered by Porsche on all vehicles in or out of warranty
Eric, when you mentioned "covered by Porsche" do you mean the dealer does that service for free? I've got a '99 996 and just got the airbag light yesterday; started reading all about this since then.

Can't believe how much annoyance a single light can cause ...

Quick Reply: Air bag light---