996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swede: The actual muffler swap out is not very difficult. The hardest part of it is getting the tips to line up evenly. The mufflers sit up under the rear wheel wells...and if you could find someone with a lift it would be a relatively easy swap out. No special tools are needed other than metrics. If you didn't want to mess with them yourself, once you had the mufflers, you could take it to a muffler shop and have them swap them out for you...probably charge you about an hour's worth of labor at whatever the going flat rate is for labor.

I was afraid that the prices would start going up on the mufflers as guys got the bug to do the mod. Now if you go look at Gota911's response, you will see another mod you can do with the factory 3.4L mufflers....using smaller diameter stainless pipe....and according to the guys who have done it, it's supposed to be just about the same sound as the 3.6L muffler mod....and you could actually use your own factory mufflers....or buy some 3.4L mufflers probably cheaper than the 3.6L variety.

I had to wait about a couple months before I found the auction for the ones I got...but I also posted in the WTB sections of Rennlist and Renntech....where I got two responses. One fellow wanted $350 for his plus shipping and I passed. I got a response from a gal who offered hers to me, but I had already bought them off eBay....send me a PM and I'll give you her email address. She may still have them for sale, although she was sounding like she might want to try it herself...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Chuck
Old 03-22-2007, 01:01 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Swede - as Chuck said the swap is not realy difficult. Standard metric wrenches and socket wrenches is all you need. An adjustable crescent wrench will also help.... just make sure you get the metric crescent wrench (that was a joke). Here is a shot of the mufflers from the PET.

1. Jack up the car
2. Remove the rear wheels
3. You loosen the clamp on the cats (#29) and slide the clamp on to the cat
4. Remove the three nuts (circled) holding the muffler to the bracket
5. Remove the muffler
6. Remove the clamp in the tip (IMPORTANT: take note of how the "dent" in the tip pipe aligns with the muffler pipe. This will help with the re-install the tips on the "new" mufflers in the correct position)
7. If your "new" mufflers did not come with a bracket (#28) remove the brackets from your current mufflers and transfer them to the "new" mufflers
8. Install tips on "new" mufflers (do not tighten completely yet)
9. Reinstall muffler
10. Replace 3 nuts, do not tighten completely
11. Slide clamp from cat to muffler and tighten
12. Tighten 3 nuts
13. Align tips and tighten nut

Listen to the GREAT sound!
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, lost track of this thread ( I guess I got too busy posting on the "nonsense" thread)

Thanks Chuck and Tim for all the info. I've got my search set up on Ebay, hoping to score some 3.6L mufflers so I can do the mod.

I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'm really looking forward to some louder music in my ears.

I have the X-51 option on my car but the option list doesn't show any PSE. However, I think my P-car sounds a lot throatier and aggressive on acceleration than the non X-51 cars I test drove (and I drove a lot before taking the plunge). Is there any modification to the exhaust on the X-51 option or am I just imagining things? Wishful thinking maybe?

Last edited by Swede_Matt; 03-28-2007 at 02:28 AM. Reason: bad spelling!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede: I can't help you out on the X-51 question....but maybe Gota911 can.

Hey Gota911: Thanks for that exploded diagram of the exhaust system...complete with "stupid proof" coloring of the parts you had to unbolt....hell, even I could follow that diagram. That really adds to the entire subject of modding the mufflers...making the whole process very clear for those who might want to try it.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:10 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

For you guys looking for some mufflers to mod....there's a set of 3.6L mufflers on eBay...actually the entire exhaust system off a 996 on sale...currently at $86....go see item # 320094344302. They're the mufflers with the corregated pipe which is the version for the MKII mod. Not a bad deal for the entire system.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Swede: I can't help you out on the X-51 question....but maybe Gota911 can.

Hey Gota911: Thanks for that exploded diagram of the exhaust system...complete with "stupid proof" coloring of the parts you had to unbolt....hell, even I could follow that diagram. That really adds to the entire subject of modding the mufflers...making the whole process very clear for those who might want to try it.
Chuck - you are welcome!

Matt - I think (but am not certain) the X-51 package came with the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) mufflers. Do you have a switch on your upper console that looks like a pair of goggles (the Icon is actually exhaust tips)? That would be your ON/OFF switch for the PSE.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:32 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
For you guys looking for some mufflers to mod....there's a set of 3.6L mufflers on eBay...actually the entire exhaust system off a 996 on sale...currently at $86....go see item # 320094344302. They're the mufflers with the corregated pipe which is the version for the MKII mod. Not a bad deal for the entire system.
Winning bid: US $425.00 Cuckoo
Old 03-28-2007, 04:04 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, this post is the perfect segue to some PSE questions that I have wanted to ask for some time. So here we go:

(01) Is the PSE option basically the same as the MKII mod, just with a switch to control (open/close) it?
(02) If the purpose of PSE ONLY for sound, or is there a performance gain?
(03) Is the purpose of the MKII mod similarly only for improved sound, or performance?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Missed the ebay auction...work keeps getting in the way of my Rennlist:ing and Ebay:ing!!!

i've been too busy driving the car and not really focusing too much on the buttons but I don't recall seeing any button with goggles on it.

I really don't think it has a PSE....the slightly throatier sound might be from the X-51 tweaked engine or just from my wishful thinking. In any case I think the sound is too tame and I'm still on a hunt for a PSE or the 3.6L mod.

Myrmidon, I'm pretty sure the answer to question 2 & 3 is that it's sound only. If it gives any extra HP it's so little that you won't notice it.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by myrmidon
Hmm, this post is the perfect segue to some PSE questions that I have wanted to ask for some time. So here we go:

(01) Is the PSE option basically the same as the MKII mod, just with a switch to control (open/close) it?
(02) If the purpose of PSE ONLY for sound, or is there a performance gain?
(03) Is the purpose of the MKII mod similarly only for improved sound, or performance?

Thanks
01 - Basically, that is correct
02 - Correct, Porsche makes no claims concerning increased HP from the PSE
03 - Sound improvement only, but what a NICE improvement it is!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

anyone in socal looking to do the same? i want to do it...... let's try to get a GB or discount on this.....
Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Chuck, did you have time to install the mufflers on your car yet? I'm curious to hear what you think of the result.

Thanks to a very nice local Rennlister I'm now in possession of 3.6L mufflers ready to be modded. I have to say that I'm awe over how great this forum is. So many helpful people who are willing to share their knowledge and even give their mufflers to people in need…like me. Don’t want to mention any Rennlist id’s but a million thanks goes out to Guy!

I will be contacting Darin very soon to set up an appointment.

One remaining question before I go ahead. Does anyone know if this for any reason would void the CPO warranty? I don’t see any reason why it should but very few things surprise me anymore and I figured it would be a good thing to check before putting it on.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i say if there's a problem, just put in the old muff and take care of the warr issues then......
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede: Funny you should ask. I've been doing a garage makeover along with working on the 930 so I didn't get to install the mufflers...but today I had to have the oil changed and dropped it off at the indy's shop and told him to install them...so in a couple days, I can answer your question.

Glad you were able to pick up a set of mufflers....you're right...there are some great folks on this forum...now you can have Darin do the deed for you. You need to contact him about 5 days before you go over to his shop to give him time to order the stainless steel pipe for you...unless you picked it up....but it's not a readily available commodity. He ordered it for me from Burns...$75 for the U pipe in 2 1/4 inch. Chuck
Old 04-03-2007, 04:55 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Oh, we want to see pics of the garage makeover. Did you put in the garage floor mats as well?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the mod and the sound. I've never heard the Schnell mufflers but you should already have a better sounding car than I have so it will be interesting to hear how you like it. Tell the indy shop to hurry up!!

Quick Reply: Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design