996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:49 AM
tennktm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the 3.6 MKII on my 2002 carrera and I love it.....I am in Nashville and can help anyone who is interested.....sounds so much better.......

TENNKTM
Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like my setup. I get lots of complements about my exhaust sound everytime I drive it.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Chuck, I love the new avitar. I can't wait to hear the new system on Saturday. Nice job documenting the modification. See you soon.
Darin, You do great work at a very reasonable price.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mfletch: Since I spend most of my time on the 996 forum, I thought this avitar would be more appropriate. I don't know if I'll have the 996 done by Saturday. I'll be putting it in the shop for detailing tomorrow, and probably drive the 930 to the G 24 meetup. But when I get the mufflers in, I'll get ahold of you for lunch...my turn to buy.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
Porsche-Smile - as Chuck stated above I have done this exact mod (MK II mod) to 3.4L mufflers and to 3.6L mufflers. The 3.4L cans were a little louder than my stock 3.6L mufflers, but I was disappointed that the sound wasn't louder and lower.

Then I did the same mod on the 3.6L mufflers. They sound MUCH better than the 3.4L mufflers. IMO, they sound about 85% to 90% of true PSE mufflers (I have heard true PSE mufflers only once).

Below is some information about the different muffler versions and the different PSE MOD versions.

MUFFLERS
3.4L mufflers - have a straight pipe coming from the cat (left muffler shown in 1st pic)
3.6L mufflers - have a accordion pipe coming from the cat (right muffler shown in 1st pic).
Both versions of the stock OEM mufflers have 3 internal chambers, which the exhaust must pass through prior to exiting the outlet pipe.

PSE MODS
PSE MK I mod - a small pipe (usually 3/4" to 1 1/4" in diameter) is added between the inlet pipe (coming from the cats) to the outlet pipe which holds the exhaust tips. The exhaust passing through the "new" pipe never goes through the muffler, so the sound is louder and lower. The MK I mod is shown in the 2nd pic (note that the MK I mod has been done on 3.6L mufflers).

PSE MK II mod - the "cap" at the corner of the muffler is removed. Then a hole is cut into the outlet pipe. Then a 2" to 2 1/4" diameter pipe is connected from the new opening on the muffler to the hole in the outlet pipe. This mod allows some of the exhaust to bypass the 3rd chamber in the muffler. The resulting sound is louder and lower than the stock muffler sound. The MK II mod is shown in the 3rd pic.

Either mod (MK I or MK II) can be done to either the 3.4L or the 3.6L muffler. However, from what I have heard in person and from video clips, if you are working with 3.4L mufflers and want to get the sound that most resembles true PSE sound, then you should do the MK I mod. Someone here recently did the 3.4L and a slightly different version of the MK I mod and posted a sound clip. As near as I could tell from that sound clip, those mufflers it sounded just like my 3.6L mufflers with the MK II mod, which I like VERY much.

If you want to get as close to true PSE sound as possible, listed below are my recommended/not recommended combinations. Remember these are just my opinions, and as the lawyers would write….. your mileage may vary…. no guarantee, expressed or implied…. Void where prohibited…. etc., etc., etc.

3.4L mufflers
o MK I mod – recommended (heard this on a video clip and sounds good)
o MK II mod - NOT recommended (personally did this – not worth it)

3.6L mufflers
o MK I mod - recommended (I have not heard this combo in person or on a video clip)
o MK II mod – recommended (have this now and I love it)

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot chad....... man, i love this forum......time to sign in......
Old 03-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Thanks Chuck and Tim for a great post. This is exactly what I was looking for and a great help for me.

I've been considering the PSE but it's rather pricey...so this sounds like a great mod. Could anyone post a sound file of the 3.6L mk II mod? Where at in the Bay area is Darin located? I'm in the south bay.

Now I'm off to Ebay to search for 3.6L muffler....anyone here selling any?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:26 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

man i've been looking for one as well.... now it's going to go up in pricing,...... what a rip.....
Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede: You can PM Darin under the userid of FisterD. He has his welding shop at his house which is on Bethel Island (B.I.) in the area of the Antioch Bridge. His address is 3410 Knightsen Ave., B.I. and his cell number is 925-765-5703.

He told me that he would be available for any other guys who might want to do this mod... Chuck
Old 03-20-2007, 01:24 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Swede: You can PM Darin under the userid of FisterD. He has his welding shop at his house which is on Bethel Island (B.I.) in the area of the Antioch Bridge. His address is 3410 Knightsen Ave., B.I. and his cell number is 925-765-5703.

He told me that he would be available for any other guys who might want to do this mod... Chuck
Thanks Chuck! I'm actually in Knightsen, which is right next to B.I. and Brentwood. I love working on all things Porshe, so yes I can help anyone interested in doing this mod.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede and PSmile: I advertised in WTB on Renntech as well as went onto eBay and set up a "favorite search" routine looking for "Porsche muffler". I got a lot of hits from eBay for the wrong mufflers, but eventually hit the right one....you just have to stay on top of it. I received two responses from folks who were willing to sell me their 3.6L mufflers...but ended up going with the eBay auction and got a set out of a dismantler in Las Vegas. I think you're right....the sudden and increased interest in buying these mufflers is going to drive the price up....I recall reading early on where fellow Rennlisters were giving their OEM mufflers to other Rennlister for the cost of shipping. I wasn't that fortunate, but still $100 isn't bad. I had previous offers to buy them for around $250 to $300 which I passed on waiting for the eBay auction. Shipping is only around $30, so don't let them jack up the shipping on you.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
Thanks Chuck and Tim for a great post. This is exactly what I was looking for and a great help for me.

I've been considering the PSE but it's rather pricey...so this sounds like a great mod. Could anyone post a sound file of the 3.6L mk II mod? Where at in the Bay area is Darin located? I'm in the south bay.

Now I'm off to Ebay to search for 3.6L muffler....anyone here selling any?
Video of 3.6L mk II mod

Disregard the squeaking noise
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

nice vid....... thanks for that
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

That was an OUTSTANDING video clip. It took you through all the gears and thru cruising as well. I haven't had a chance to install mine yet, but that video gave me a really good idea of what to expect. I can't wait for the install. Thanks evansaero....great find.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Thanks for the video Evansaero. Gives me a good idea of the sound

Chuck Jones, I've searched around and I guess I have to be patient to find it cheap. The only price I could find on Ebay was $175 per muffler....$350 total plus shipping and then the labor to modify the mufflers and then I have to put them on the car as well. I've done work on old cars....but how difficult is it to replace the mufflers on a 911? Need any special Porsche tools or is it all standard stuff?

I have to say that this message board is fantastic. Such a wealth of info and very helpful people. I hope I can contribute too at some point when I've soaked up enough info from all of you guys.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede: The actual muffler swap out is not very difficult. The hardest part of it is getting the tips to line up evenly. The mufflers sit up under the rear wheel wells...and if you could find someone with a lift it would be a relatively easy swap out. No special tools are needed other than metrics. If you didn't want to mess with them yourself, once you had the mufflers, you could take it to a muffler shop and have them swap them out for you...probably charge you about an hour's worth of labor at whatever the going flat rate is for labor.

I was afraid that the prices would start going up on the mufflers as guys got the bug to do the mod. Now if you go look at Gota911's response, you will see another mod you can do with the factory 3.4L mufflers....using smaller diameter stainless pipe....and according to the guys who have done it, it's supposed to be just about the same sound as the 3.6L muffler mod....and you could actually use your own factory mufflers....or buy some 3.4L mufflers probably cheaper than the 3.6L variety.

I had to wait about a couple months before I found the auction for the ones I got...but I also posted in the WTB sections of Rennlist and Renntech....where I got two responses. One fellow wanted $350 for his plus shipping and I passed. I got a response from a gal who offered hers to me, but I had already bought them off eBay....send me a PM and I'll give you her email address. She may still have them for sale, although she was sounding like she might want to try it herself...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Chucjk

Quick Reply: Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design